Agile Interceptor 727

Discussion in 'Guitar Reviews' started by nthdegree, Jan 22, 2012.

1. nthdegree

nthdegree mmmmm, neurons

I'm not one for really hanging out on forums, but I did find so much useful information here while I was researching 7 strings that I felt the least I could do was to give back a review on the product I ended up choosing.

The guitar in question: The Agile Interceptor 727 Tribal Green.

Basic feature rundown:

-3 piece bolt on maple neck with Rosewood fretboard, 24XJ frets 27" scale
    -Mahogany body with flamed green maple top
    -Cepheus Active 7 Pickups
    -1 volume, 1 tone, 3 way selector
    -Licensed Floyd Rose Tremelo

I live in BC, Canada, the guitar itself came to $741 US shipped to my door and took about 8 days to ship.

Features: the Interceptor doesn't really leave you wanting for anything. With a Floyd Rose style bridge and active pickups I can't really think of anything I would ask for.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sound: I went with the Cepheus Active pickups because I could not get the body/neck combination I wanted with Blackouts. This way I figured that if I found the pickups totally worthless, I would at least have all the wiring/battery hatch work done to make for an easy upgrade.

The Cepheus pickups aren't too bad but after a little more listening I have determined that I will need to look at other options. The neck pickup when clean is very beefy but does suffer from a slight muddyness across the whole spectrum, distortion will really bring some earth rattling doom. The bridge at high gain can give you that shreddy, table saw type tone but when clean, will sound almost exactly the same as the neck pickup with the bass chopped off (still muddy).

3/5 for sound. The more I listen to it, the more it sounds like a slightly hotter Ibanez stock pup.

Fit and Finish: All of the hardware seems solid, there were no flaws in the finish, all cavity routes were perfectly smooth, the neck seems true, the frets are nice and level. The action was nice and low right out of the box and the tremelo/intonation were set up perfectly save needing a little tuning (which is to be expected). The green flamed top is just as awesome as it appears online and though I was a little worried that it wouldn't really work for me, I now have no regrets about my choice.

My only complaint is that I prefer a VERY thin neck and the Agile necks (though thinner than some) are still thicker than I prefer. This is the reason I had to go with the bolt on neck; I knew I would be sanding a couple mm off and re-sculpting and re-finishing it and I REALLY didn't want to do that with a neckthrough that was all painted up.

I have to give it 5/5 because there were no flaws in the manufacturing, just a personal preference issue which I knew I could resolve. For the record, I reshape all my guitar necks anyway including 2 Ibanez.

Reliability/Customer Support: I have only had the guitar about a week now so I can't really speak to reliability and I have had no need of Rondo Music's customer support.

Overall for the money, I'm pretty happy. There really isn't much in this price bracket that holds a candle to the Agiles especially if you live in the US and don't have to pay the roughly $100 in duty charges.

I will check back a couple of times to answer any specific questions anyone may have.

Cheers! :shred:

2. nthdegree

nthdegree mmmmm, neurons

Follow up on the pickups:

I was able to get the pickups (the neck specifically) to sound much better after a little EQing and some electrical work. To anyone interested, throwing a .047uf capacitor between the neck pickup's hot out and the selector switch helps bring out the clarity without any negative impact on the overall tone.

I still stand by my original review but have to say that with the capacitor and a little EQ fiddling the sound score can be bumped to a respectable 4/5.

Cheers!

3. Brohoodofsteel75

Brohoodofsteel75 SS.org Regular

Thanks man! I think I'm convinced to try one of these babes!

4. nthdegree

nthdegree mmmmm, neurons

I say go for it man, you won't regret it. If the one I have were to be stolen I would definitely buy another Agile to replace it (though I might splurge and get one from the custom shop if I could force myself to wait for it to be made).

Cheers!

5. Moolaka

Moolaka SS.org Regular

Yea, for under $800 Agile makes a helluva nice guitar. When I got mine the Ceph's didn't do it for me and the frets needed a proper recrowning but all things considered I was pleasantly surprised.

6. JRL

JRL SS.org Regular

I actually thought my tribal red 727 looked better than it did on the website.