Agile Feedback?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Vince Caruana, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Vince Caruana

Vince Caruana Vinsanity

I've poked around at the idea of getting an Agile Septor Elite 727 for quite sometime now. Mainly because it is one of the few decent 27" scale guitars out there. As much as Id love to get one I hear they're kind of a hit or miss deal with the guitar you get for your buck. I hear the finishes can look fairly different from the picture and some of the fretwork can be bad. The finish I can deal with but I do not want to pay $800+ for a guitar that I'm still going to have to get setup seperately have a bad fret which is something your kind of forced to live with. Id like to get the black flame in paticular. How have your guys Agiles turned out quality wise when you got em? Id like to get a Hellraiser personally but Id prefer the 27" scale. Pros, Cons everythings good. Id appreciate the feedback. Even suggestions for a good 27" guitar (No Ibanez!)

2. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

I've had a few and they were all pretty decent, and I'm in love with the Septor pro that just came in. You're in NY, so shipping should be pretty instantaneous. (I'm in RI, I had one ship out on Monday and get here on Tuesday.) I think it ships out of New Hampshire. When you get it, if it's a dud, the return policy from what I understand is great, as is exchanging it for another one, so you don't have much to lose other than time.

3. chopshop777

chopshop777 SS.org Regular

I have mixed fillings about Agile, I hear so many good and bad reviews on them , the bad mostly been about the neck getting warped and no way of fixing it.

4. tripforks

tripforks wut r u doin

I've also been wanting to pick up an Agile for a while, or an SX. Unfortunately shipping one to Canada is another 1-200 bucks tacked on to the price, sapping away a lot of the value :(

I played a friend's Intrepid Pro 8 string and the neck felt really nice and full. I'd call this a plus if you're not an Ibanez fan. It otherwise felt really solid overall, and I imagine the Septor Elite would be a similar case

5. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

My Agiles (2 of them) are fine. I found the fretwork to be pretty good, and there were no high frets. The guitars shipped with relatively high nuts (which I am pretty picky about, so others may not feel they were high) and high action. Once I fussed with them and did a proper setup they're GREAT guitars for the money. The fact that you are in the USA means you can return it if there's a problem. So I'd say go for it!

6. straightshreddd

straightshreddd Dat Dood

Mine was pretty good. The quality wasn't amazing but wasn't terrible either. It played pretty damn good, too. Zero fret-buzz and very clear chords.

They're great when you can find a good one. If they employ even better fretwork with stainless steel frets, I might grab another one as a back up. Plus, Kurt's a chill dude with solid communication.

7. ihunda

ihunda SS.org Regular

I had a few agiles, always bought them used so I could play them before buying.

Great guitars, no more prone to neck wrapping as any other guitar, not magical either, just solid budget workers.

People should stop over thinking. Just go for it if your budget is tight, especially if you leave in the US, you can't lose with the return policy.

And, yes, of course someone will complain on the internet about some awful flaw, that's what the internet is for, I mean beside pr0n.

8. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

[​IMG]

ive only played the one i have & its been pretty decent...it is a higher end model though.

9. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I'd definitely look around for a used ESP SC-607B :yesway:

They get tons of love aside from the neck (middle?) pickup, and are really solid guitars that can be had for $500-700 used

10. HanShock

HanShock SS.org Regular

I've bought 3,there are worthy in this budget,IMO it sounds much better than Schecter,tighter,clearer,lighter!

11. Suho

Suho Guitar Guardian Contributor

I had an 8 string Intrepid Pro 828 (neck through model, 28.625" scale). I thought it was a great guitar, and very solidly built. The neck was full but not ridiculous. I imagine if you like Schecters you will get on well with their necks. The fretwork was excellent. The finish was okay (I would say there were probably one or two areas that could have been a little "smoother" but otherwise very nice). The only reason I sold it was because I found 28+" was a bit more than I was looking for (I have kind of decided 27" is my preferred scale). I also own the SC-607B from ESP/LTD. I think $600-$700 is a more accurate used price, but it has become a fast favorite. I don't like the neck pickup placement (haha, WHAT neck pickup?) but it plays well enough to not worry so much about that. I think Agile is the choice if you want one pretty quickly and you want some choice/customer service. If you don't mind waiting for a good deal on the SC-607B, that is a good option too, but keep in mind that the body woods have changed throughout production, if that is a concern for you (maple, mahogany, alder).

12. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I've owned over half a dozen now, and worked on two or three times that many. Two or three of the guitars I owned were genuinely great, but those are the exceptions to the rule apparently.

To put it bluntly, if you're used to the quality you get on Schecters, low-mid level MII/MIK Ibanez, and 600 series or lower LTDs, then Agiles will be fine. If you're used to higher end stock, then Agiles can be a bit of a disappointment in the overall quality department. If you're picky about fit/finish and aren't proficient at doing your own full setups, Agiles probably aren't for you.

If you need something really niche, like 28"+ scales, fanned frets, 9+ strings, etc. and don't want to spend more than $1k, then Agile is really the only place to go. The instruments are typically solid, if not a little rough around the edges at times.

I'm also not very keen on the price hikes. Not too long ago, less than five years now, you could get Standard Intrepids with real Hipshot hardware and USA EMG pickups for ~$350, now you spend over $500 for OEM. Quality hasn't seemed to gone up at all. Don't get me wrong, Kurt can charge whatever, and they're still great values, especially on the niche stuff.

As others have said, the return policy is wonderful if you're in North America. I wouldn't touch them with a 40 foot pole if you're overseas though, if that's any indication of quality/consistency.