Agile custom build, microtonal conversion

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by nicomortem, May 7, 2016.

1. nicomortem

nicomortem SS.org Regular

Hey guys, the is my newest conversion, I have sold off all the previous ones and will be sticking with this guitar, it's an Agile Interceptor 727 custom build, which I ordered back in November of last year. It arrived with multiple issues but I was given a $200 discount, making this an $865 purchase. I just got a gloss black finish, no binding or inlays, single humbucker and all standard features. I did my usual clay dot inlays, offset and the 24-tone fingerboard fretted in quarter steps. I did pretty good this time, didn't get the frets (too) crooked, but the spacing is a little off in the high register, nothing horrible though. Being that it's a neck-thru instrument, I was unable to use my miter box and had to do the fret slots completely free-hand. Taking that into consideration, I am actually quite pleased with the fretwork on this one.

I replaced the EMG 707 with an 81-7, the same pickup I have had in each of my previous Interceptor conversions, and I applied conductive shielding paint to the control, pickup, tremolo and battery cavities. My bassist and I are working on a companion bass guitar for this instrument, it is a 5-string Agile Septor bass, which is being modified and painted to match my Interceptor as closely as possible. Included is a picture of the bass, which is a work in progress. I'll post a thread with more pics and a description once it is finished, in a week or two.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Nice! This is super cool!

3. frahmans

frahmans SS.org Regular

cool. any resources how to measure microtonal fret placement like you'd find on fretfind? Imaginimg this with fanned frets.

4. KR250

KR250 SS.org Regular

I'd love to hear how this sounds. Very intriguing and cool build. Thumbs up.

5. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

frahmans, fretfind2D can do microtonal fanned frets.

KR250 see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry2kBQ1fDqk and other videos on that channel (with earlier guitars). They often use genuine Arabic maqam scales.

I always convert with the neck attached and have the same problem of aligning the fretsaw.

Anyone wanting a taste and fairly usable quartertones on a standard guitar can do this http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/music-theory-lessons-techniques/161530-retune-play-quartertone-scales-microtonal-beginners-guide.html

6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

How'd I miss this thread?! Necrobump for updates on the bass.

7. Thrashmanzac

Thrashmanzac plays in 69/42

Nice work man, I know hard ....ing tedious it is to add microtonal frets :s

8. P-Ride

P-Ride SS.org Regular

What on earth.. what styles of music do you play?

9. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

10. vansinn

vansinn SS.org Regular

Now, that looks just like an Interceptor would be expected to me :agreed: