Aggressive string bending in "Circus Maximus- Reach Within" solo

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by HolographicUniverse, Jan 24, 2017.

1. HolographicUniverse

HolographicUniverse SS.org Regular

Hey all, currently learning the solo to "Reach Within" by Circus Maximus. I've got most of it down, just working on the little details that make the solo special, one thing in particular is the string bend at 3:46 of https://youtu.be/YcRrWwihSNA .

I can't seem to recreate it, I'm guessing super aggressive picking and lowering action to catch the adjacent string in the bend? Almost sounds like a double stop bend. There's many examples of this sound in different solos, but I feel I need to nail this nuance for this particular solo.
    Any tips will be appreciated.

Btw, Mats Haugen is a monster player who you should check out if you are unaware of him :hbang:

2. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

Might be wrong, but took a quick look at some playthrough covers and some people bend/tap that note?

You could try and look up a live video of the song and see how Haugen plays it :eek:

3. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

I don't have a guitar handy but its not a bend, he uses the whammy bar playing two notes at once, F sharp and something else.

4. HolographicUniverse

HolographicUniverse SS.org Regular

He plays it with a bend live, but its just a regular bend- without the articulation that's on the album. Eh, if Haugen himself plays it like that, then I suppose I should just quit my whinin' :D

I saw a person's cover who did exactly that, and it sounds pretty close, but I'm still kind of adamant that it's still an aggressive bend. I would list examples of it in other songs, but none come to mind right now.