After 2 failed attempts at filing a nut...

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by OliOliver, Jun 29, 2018.

1. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

...I come to you guys, humbled. I bought a Schecter C8 used, and the previous owner filed the nut for bass strings (really). So after putting on a normie set of NYXL .09-.74, I found that the low F# is completely unusable unless I buy very, very thick strings.

So, I bought a Graphtech slab and gave it a go. I failed. So I bought another one. I failed again.

I lack the tools and skill, and frankly cash to throw away on nuts that are no good. Can someone with some experience and skill slot a nut for me? In exchange for parts and labour cash, obviously. I have got in contact with both Graphtech and Schaller begging for them to slot a nut for me, but unfortunately no dice, and after bad experiences with local "luthiers", I no longer trust them to do the work I ask for.

So, I come to this community. Anyone think they have the time to help me out, massively?

2. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

This is a redneck solution that works pretty well. Buy strings that are just one size up from what you would normally use. Use the wound strings like a saw to file away the bigger slots. The smaller strings will be plain wire, so the best approach is to get the profile of the nut just right for string height +2mm or so and then use a hobby knife to make a very small notch, similar to what you see on a bridge saddle.

I got pretty good results with this method building my first couple guitars..but a good set of nut files OR saw rods will be the best solution.

blacai, OliOliver and KnightBrolaire like this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire highway to the metalzone

it ain't stupid if it works.

4. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

While that is a pretty ingenious idea, if someone with the proper knowhow is available to prep one for me, I'd greatly (and financially) appreciate it! Let's put this as a back up.

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

do you still have the original nut?

Ive heard of people filling the slots up with like baking powder and super glue or something (I maybe remembering it wrong so defo research)
    Read about it on forums before. A Way to get back material on a nut thats been filed too low.

6. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

I’ve done the “file v-shaped notches in a cheap, but descent, set of feeler gauges and use them as a saw” to descent enough results. Previously untold tips:
    • Use 2-3 adjacent strips to get the width (or slightly wider) you need. You may get closes skipping a gauge or two, but it will be harder to cut straight
    • Focus on keeping the strips vertical
    • Start your cuts with a triangular file (likely the same one used to cut the “teeth” in the gauges.
    • You will still need some fine sandpaper or emery cloth to finish the notches
    • If you have to buy a set of feeler gauges, don’t forget to buy two. You’ll still need one to prevent cutting too deep.

7. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

8. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, but I got in contact with Graphtech again (although it turns out I fucked up and didn't actually send the email the first time round, doh) and got a reply, they're sending me a pre-slotted 8 nut! It isn't listed on their site, but it does exist, it's product code is PT-1355-00.

KR250, lewis and KnightBrolaire like this.
  9. NateFalcon

NateFalcon #Ox45

...I’ve used welding tip cleaners a handful of times with total success...whatever you do just remove micro bits at a time

DudeManBrother and ElRay like this.
  10. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

I’ve got a set, but haven’t tried them. The next nut tu cut will get this treatment.

NateFalcon likes this.
  11. NateFalcon

NateFalcon #Ox45

I’ve only done it on bone nuts but it gets the job done!

12. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

They work well for any nut material. I’ve never cut a blank with them, but they’re perfect for touch up and alterations

13. MaxAidingAres

MaxAidingAres SS.org Regular

I was gonna say, odd that graphetch would turn you away they have two pre slotted 8 string nuts you can buy. I know this because I’ve bought one before through them.

14. Walshy

Walshy SS.org Regular

Glad you found a solution.

Just for info, if you lack the expensive nut files, the best way to replace a nut is always to buy one with the correct string spacing and slot gauges for the strings you want to use with enough height to not produce fret buzz when installed, then sand down the base to the desired height. Go slowly. A few strokes too many and it'll be too low to be useful. That said, you can always shim it up a bit if you mess up.