Affordable and Easy way to record guitar videos from iPhone 8

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by horacexgrant, Nov 30, 2017.

1. horacexgrant

horacexgrant SS.org Regular

Hi guys,
    I'm pretty basic when it comes to recording/mixing, but i'm pretty handy with the 7 string and shredding. I recently got an iPhone 8 and when I video record myself, the sound isn't half bad. But if I wanted to upgrade the sound quality, what's the best microphone I can purchase that I can just plug into the phone for easy recording with better sound quality? Here's one I found on Amazon but wanted to get some feedback here. I'm willing to spend around $100-150. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010W6W8OW/?tag=sevenstringorg-20

2. NickLAudio

NickLAudio Audio/Video Engineer

The MV88 you linked, in my opinion, is debatably the best thing going for iOS external mics these days. Adjustable polar patterns, switchable DSP modes, adjustable gain, all via the Shure app are just outstanding features for a cellphone microphone. With the iPhone getting rid of the 1/8" trrs jack, you are limited in external mic choices but with the release of the lightning-->1/8" trrs adapter cable, you can use the MV88 or any other "lightning only" mic with virtually any other device that sends 1.5V via the 1/8" jack.

Now if you buy the lightning adapter cable, you're options grow exponentially. Any DSLR shotgun mic will work such as the RODE Video Mic Pro (built in pad and frequency cut), Rode Video Mic GO, Rode Video Micro (I own this for use with iPhone and DSLR and it's great). Can you tell I like Rode mics? Some of those options are half the price of the MV88 and work just as good. You just don't get to use the awesome Shure app with them.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    horacexgrant likes this.
  3. Grooven

Grooven SS.org Regular

Do you have any sound clips or youtube demos,wouldn't mind hearing some.

4. horacexgrant

horacexgrant SS.org Regular

thank you very much!

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

The other thing you could do is record video on your phone, audio using a DAW and micing up your amp or however you record guitar, and then aligning the two in a video editor and replacing the video audio with your seperately-recorded audio.

Descent likes this.
  6. fob

fob SS.org Regular

I’m considering doing this for better quality video and audio. Should I arm the track as mono and center it or just do a double take off camera and pan? I’ve always wondered what people do for syncing.

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I'm not sure what you mean by "do a double take off camera and pan" - are you saying double track your parts, but only show video from one? I guess it depends what you're doing... I mostly shoot pickup comparison stuff so for me I would NOT want to double track, but if you're doing like playthrough videos or something... Eh, idunno. Maybe just do one, but if you want to double track, it's probably not the end of the world.

IMO, that's the best way to get a good audio track, since you can mix whatever you're recording with the backing you're using and do stuff like EQ it to sit better, compress it, add stereo effects, etc, and then since you can then master your finished audio to get up to a CD-like level.

8. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

I also do this with our drummer's Zoom cam recorder - we input in an 8 track interface and use the audio to sync with his Zoom camera.