Affordable amp for cleans/gain

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by nyxzz, Oct 6, 2017.

1. nyxzz

nyxzz SS.org Regular

Unfortunately I am having to part with my Bogner Atma (fantastic amp) due to financial hardship and need an amp to replace it. My problem is that I really value a good clean channel. I've had a 6505 MH and a Tiny Terror before and their cleans just didn't cut it for me. I've got an OCD overdrive so even if my replacement amp's gain isn't quite there, that should be able to compensate somewhat. I've been looking at the Fender Bassbreaker but have yet to play one in person yet. Can any of the scholarly gentleman who peruse SSO give me some advice on an amp (preferably head) that you can get good cleans out of but also clear mid-high gain when used in conjunction with an OD? I'd need to score something for 500 or less used.

2. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

Thought about the Boss Katana? I haven't had a chance to play one, but they get rave reviews.

3. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Jet city Amelia.

4. maggotspawn

maggotspawn SS.org Regular

Peavey XXX.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

This, or if you're lucky, a Peavey JSX or Ultra Plus.

The Carvin MTS3200 is reknown for it's really good clean channel.

6. nyxzz

nyxzz SS.org Regular

I dismissed it out of hand because who the hell has a Boss amp?
    I looked into it and I'm actually surprised by what it is for the price and how much everyone seems to love it. Wonder how it compares to BIAS FX, I might go check one out tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

Can anyone offer their experience on how those Peavey amps are at apartment volume? That's unfortunately one of my criteria. One day I'll have a house and the day I do I'm getting a 4x12 and going wild...

7. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Fender blues Junior or Peavey Classic 30 or a Vox AC15?

Rawkmann likes this.
  8. Roadsterjosh

Roadsterjosh SS.org Regular

The ultra plus is fantastic at very low volumes, has a much better clean than you'll expect, and the crunch channel is awesome. It is extremely flexible, and takes pedal very well. I wish I had used one of these when I was still playing out, instead of a dual rec or my old 2:90 and pod pro.

9. maggotspawn

maggotspawn SS.org Regular

Depends on the apartment, but I'm able to get good bedroom tones out of my XXX and JSX.

10. nyxzz

nyxzz SS.org Regular

As bizarre as this is to me, as a bonafide solid state long time hater, I picked up a Boss Katana 100 from Guitar Center last night. Had a 20% off coupon and there is a 45 day return policy, so it was a solid price. I was actually very surprised by it. I haven't done any in depth fiddling with it on my computer just yet, but I can say it actually has dynamics and is miles ahead of those old line 6 spyder combos. I'll probably do a review after I have some time to really dig into it, but man I would have given just about anything for this thing when I was 15. I'm going to seek out the other amps people listed here and if I like one of those better I'll just return this one. One thing GC is good for. Thanks everyone!

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  11. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

My picks for the tube big boys are the xxx, jsx or even the 3120 if you can find one. I'd also look at marshall dsl's. The dsl gets loud pretty quickly, but its doable.

12. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

The Bassbreaker is an awesome amp with really great cleans and takes pedals like a champ. I don't think many other people will recommend them because it's a Fender and honestly the name Bassbreaker is a bit weird. I love mine tho. Also recently got a Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 36 that's blown me away as well. I slightly prefer the Tubemeister because the clean channel is fantastic and the lead channel has plenty of gain even without a pedal.

13. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Well, as of today, you'll no longer be able to get parts or service. The factory is closing, and all current stock is on sale until it's gone.

14. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

I would second the Classic 30, depending on what OP means by "clear mid-high gain tones". Great cleans and a really cool growl on the OD side. The heaviest I ever got with mine was Soundgarden and Sabbath stuff, with no pedal.

15. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

The MTS has been out of production for awhile anyway. Doubt you'll ever find one under warranty regardless.

16. BurningRome

BurningRome SS.org Regular

I'm going to throw a weird one out there especially since you said it would be with an OD pedal.

1970's Fender Bassman Silverface. It's a great amp, it's not a blackface but it's as good as many USA hand wired amps today, especially on the cleans.

• Handwired
    • American Made
    • Amazing cleans
    • Can jumper the two channels to use both EQ's together.
    • SUPER LOUD

Can be had for under $500 clean and unmodded.

Just got one, a 50 watt version and it's cool and just different. If you don't dig it just flip it. The one I have has some original tubes which sell for a solid amount, great if you're a flipper like me. Anyway the bass on the amp is insane, especially with the channels jumpered.