Advice on achieving this sound? (Metal mixing)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Furyof, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Furyof

Furyof SS.org Regular

To give a little backstory I was watching a video and heard the intro of this song play. Linked below
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPD4nvvLDls
    (BTW I should point out I don't really like the whole song so don't castrate me for liking the intro lol. I just love how fat the intro sounds)

I heard it and I loved how fat and good the chugs sounded, this is really how I want my mixes to sound in terms of that ratio.
    I'll link a reference to how my current mixes sound
    [SC]https://soundcloud.com/ascenttozenith/bang[/SC]
    (if you do not want to listen to the whole song skip to the end around 1:30 second, it's a chuggy part for reference)
    I am trying to get that thick metalcore chug sound. Which the intro of that song has. I feel it has something to do with the low end. The bass and the kick, two things I do struggle with. Any advice or ideas?

2. Floppystrings

Floppystrings No like the floppy

That sounds like recto bass.

Another example at 0:22 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoJvrlls1II

I suggest you download the TSE808, Lecto vst, and use a Mesa oversized cab impulse, the ones I used are made by someone named "Alu". You might need to remove some of the bass still, this can be done with a EQ cut of the lows.

3. shnizzle

shnizzle johnny

i hate to be that guy and i´m sure it´s just coincidence, but the beginning of your
    song, specifically 0:12-0:35, sounds a lot like a song from Bullet For My Valentine. and
    i´m ashamed i recognize it as that :p

about the tone, most of it depends on your amp/cab choice. whatever you used, it´s
    a bit twangy. almost sounds like you boosted the 1k area before the amp quite a bit.
    that or you cranked the contour knob on a Pouling amp plugin.
    Floppystrings has a good starting point there. i think the impulse he means is from the
    Sperimental Pack. they are quite good, but need some taming in the high and low end.
    you can also try the TSE X30, or if the free beta version is still available the TSE X50.
    together with a Mesa ir should work fine. the Rosen Digital impulses are really good and
    very worth the money. their Mesa Oversized impulse is really dope.

4. Furyof

Furyof SS.org Regular

I noticed that too actually after I created the song. It's not a serious song though. I just made the song based off a video game I was playing (Black Ops 3 beta). So I am not really worried about it sounding similar to another song.
    I use the free TSE X50 btw. I'm still struggling with tone. Mixing is too hard lol. Free TSE x50 with a Catharsis Fredman 2 off preshigh for my cab.
    I do boost 1.5k ish area quite a bit and I also did have a boost in my high on my guitar, 1.4k above before the amp chain because I felt my guitar sounded weak/thin. Maybe that's going against me now.
    I might redo my whole tone then.

5. newamerikangospel

newamerikangospel Tonight.......you

That tone sounds like multi tracks with a recto or at least a recto blended in (I know the video has 5150s, but to my ears). It also sounds like they are doing the diminished fifth thing, but have other layers of just the root note to clean it up. And the bass has a layer of guitar amp grit blended with DI or bass amp.

Some of that tone is being coloured by preamps as well. Your song doesn't sound too far off course, but there is a lot going on in that mix with electronics.

6. col

col blah.

Smashing your mix with a limiter will kill the low end and make your mix sound smaller. So try to bring back some of that dynamic range and see if that helps.

7. Redoubt9000

Redoubt9000 SS.org Regular

Just curious, what would you consider too much limiting to be? Are we talking a gain crush of 3-6db?

8. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Crabcore :scream:

I think you need to layer a few more chugs into this with a semi clean guitar sound, like an AC30. Also maybe try layering with sub level synth or if you can tap it on some kind of taiko drum sample or timpani and mix it in so it barely sneaks into the tracks.

Honestly, nothing wrong with your version.

9. col

col blah.

It's all relative on how loud the mix is originally. :) You need to experiment and make multiple versions to really hear the differences since it's pretty subtle. (And because louder always sounds "better" while adjusting the limiter).