Advice needed for a 7string jazz pickup !

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by DeathPaupiette, Jun 2, 2013.

1. DeathPaupiette

DeathPaupiette Master-baiter.

Hi there !
    I'm planning on getting a 7, I know more or less what I would like to get, but one question is still there : what pickups should I try ?
    I'm looking for a really jazzy neck pickup, something very smooth, warm, dark, that stays clean and obviously can handle the low B ! The problem is not really here, but I'd like this pickup to produce a nice distorted lead sound too, à la Petrucci. Really defined with a smooth and fluid sound when playing higher up the neck ... I know this might be two sides that may not be found on the same pickup, but you never know ...
    For the bridge pickup, I know more or less what I want, again something à la Petrucci (--> Dimarzio Crunchlab 7 ?), with tight lows and warm highs. I'm currently playing on a 6 with an EMG 81X in the bridge, and I really like the tight low-end, but I'd like a bit more warmth in the highs, and maybe something more "open", for these big open distorded chords.
    Thanks in advance for your answers, and sorry for my poor English :rolleyes: !

2. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD ERG Drummer! Contributor

This may seem obvious, but... why not go with the Dimarzio Crunchlab/Liquifire combo? If you're looking for that tone, go for the source! ;)

Beyond that... what kind of guitar are you playing, and through what kind of rig?

3. DeathPaupiette

Yeah I've obviously thought about this set, but I'm not sure if the neck pickup is warm enough for jazz ... I'm talking about a really vintage dark tone à la Wes Montgomery for example !
    As for the guitar, I don't have it yet ^^! I'm looking for an Explorer/Kelly/Mockingbird shaped seven string, with a fixed bridge, maple fretboard and neck, long scale length and maybe a nice spalted maple top/natural finish on it ! I'm just anticipating and seeking ideas and advice ! Besides, I'm playing on a Blackheart BH15-112 with a MXR Fullbore Metal.
    I know my setup/ideas may look strange but I've got a really good idea of what I want to play and the sound that I want to get !

4. rikomaru

rikomaru SS.org Regular

hmm.....well i'm not sure if you've tried the SD Jazz pickup, but i'm personally rather fond of it. It's more of a clarity pickup, so the 'dark' tone you're looking for would have to be made by your fingers and/or tone knob and such. Also, you may want to look into the Bendetto pickups since jazz seems to be their primary focus along with 'vintage' tone. Of course, if all else fails you could just go with damn near ANY of the big brands' PAF type pickups or an Ibanez Super 58 ;)

5. 7stg

7stg SS.org Regular

Benedetto B7 is worth a look for the neck.

6. clintsal

clintsal Humbub

bkp warpig neck, very very warm and fat, and it sounds incredible when split

7. JPMike

JPMike Totally Random

Jazz pickup always makes me think of PAF style pickups.

The Benedetto is a nice choice, but I would really suggest the BKP Stormy Monday.

8. rikomaru

rikomaru SS.org Regular

is that SM the pickup you have in that D'Angelico? Vids/pics/more vids? XD

9. JPMike

JPMike Totally Random

No, that's an SD '59, I am a Rosenwinkel fanboy so he was using that pickup for a while, I wanted it to try out for myself too. It's really good for jazz clean tones. I actually wouldn't change it, but I feel like upgrading to a more boutique pickup, if you wanna call it that.

I got a friend who is using the SM and he's really obsessed with it and to him is one of the nicest jazz pickups.

I would recommend you other options too, like a Lollar Imperial, a Lundgren Heaven 57 (which I am upgrading the D'Angelico with), DiMarzio 36th Anni, Gibson Classic 57, but unfortunately those pickups don't come out in 7string versions.

The Benedetto pickup, is more of an archtop pickup, gives that "woody" sound, a bit chimey I would say, if used with roundwounds it will sound too bright, that's why they use flatwounds on archtops. Think of Wes Montgomery type of tone. If you are after the warm jazz clean, I wouldn't recommend it.

SM is your best choice I believe. If there is anything else I can help you with, I would be glad to do so. :)

And I realised you are not the OP, but whatever. :lol:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  10. DeathPaupiette

Thanks for all the answers, I'll check these out when the right time comes ! :evil: