Advice modding a multiscale guitar

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Wolfos, May 7, 2018.

1. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Hey guys,

I had the idea of snagging one of those super cheap ibanez multiscale guitars and modding them to try my hand at a few things.

My main questions for now are how to find out angles for pickups + bridges. The scale is 25.5-27

The guitar is the Ibanez RGMS7, here is a link to the specs. http://www.ibanez.com/products/eg_d...3&cat_id=1&series_id=1&data_id=343&color=CL01

My full intentions are to change everything basically except the neck. I want to upgrade the tuners, pickups, bridge, volume knobs, pots, switch, jack, refinish the body and head and smooth the frets.

As for now the only thing I'm needing help with to start are like I said, how do I find out the angles of the pickups and bridge and also if the bridge can be a single plate multiscale hipshot style or if this one has odd spacing and will require the ABM single style.

Thanks in advance!

2. odibrom

odibrom .

For the angles, use the "D" string as reference since you have a 7 stringer. This strings represents the axis of the neck, so it should be a viable reference.

As for the bridge, I believe that guitar has a 12th fret perpendicular, so the angle should be around the same ball park as the nut... but feel free to correct me.

3. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Thank you for the reply. So your saying the bridge should be the same angle as the nut, just in the opposite direction? I suppose I could always just try to measure both bridge and pickups manually.

I've also heard bareknuckle can match existing baseplates, I'm not sure if there are others.

4. Knarbens

Knarbens Montag Custom Guitars

Let me correct you :) That would only be the case if the top and bottom string would run parallel. But since the neck is tapered (string spread at the bridge > string spread at the nut) the angles at the nut and the bridge are different.

odibrom likes this.
  5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Fret Find 2-D and proper measuring tools (calipers, ruled straight edge, protractor, etc.) are going to be your best friends.

Measure everything out, check your work, compare with what you want to replace anything with.

None of this is rocket science, and unless you completely goof off it should be almost harder to screw up than to get damn close to right.

Wolfos, odibrom and Winspear like this.
  6. odibrom

odibrom .

"around the same ball park" is different than saying "equal". Their angle values will be similar, close if you will. Again, using the 4th string as a refrence can be a starting place for measurements, since it is the axis of the whole guitar structure...

Thanks for adding to the subject. ;)

7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Cool idea. If you are routing the pickup cavities, then I'd say that pretty much any angle will work better than none, but yeah, Fret Find 2D should make short work of the problem. Hopefully its still around. I know the site tends to disappear from time to time.

Wolfos likes this.
  8. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Thanks for the tips guys. If anyone could point me in the right direction for repainting (stu-mac?) And maybe a better multiscale but that would be great! I assume this will be cheap plastic.

9. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Just an update I have a switchcraft barrel jack, cts 500k pots, hipshot O-ring knobs and copper foil coming my way.

Still searching for tuners, bridge, but and bridge replacement.

10. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I would get one of the Harley Bentons if you are going to put that much work in it anyway.

mainly because that parallel why god why

11. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Your meaning the parallel 12th fret? This model is in store locally and I've played it, the 12th fret parallel doesn't bug me though I prefer the 9th I really hardly notice it.

Plus the mmibanez I found was actually much cheaper than the harley benton. It was used, had finish damage, and it was in Canada so no shipping or added duty. I basically got it for $350 Canadian total.

12. MaxOfMetal

Foil is good for pickguards and cavity covers, but shielding paint is king. :2c:

odibrom and Wolfos like this.
  13. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Shielding paint... I dont think I've heard of that. Yes the foil was for my cavity and cover.

Is it better simply because there are no seams? Because I was told that the copper foil when layers is the equivalent to no gaps or seams.

14. MaxOfMetal

Don't get me wrong, foil will work and can look kinda cool, but the paint is so easy to work with to get into all the little corners. Great for pickup routes and even the channel the pickup wires go through.

I find it does a better job, easier. Win-win.

15. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Ahh I see well that makes sense since it's a liquid. I didnt realize it existed, I'm assuming I'll have to order it online.

While your here is there a difference between these two 5 way switch styles? The ibanez has the square style one in it but locally they sell the rounded versions like in the 2nd photo I'm not sure if there's a quality difference or if it's just space limitations in the cavity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. MaxOfMetal

I've never seen shielding paint in stores, but I haven't really looked. I've always purchased online.

As far as the switches, they're primarily different designs. They both have eight tabs capable of the same switching schemes. The dimensions and quality can vary on both. Unless you're having having problems with the existing switch, I'd leave it. They're very simple devices and until they fail you're fine keeping it stock. Ibanez has always used fairly good stock electronic components, switches, pots, jacks, wire, etc. unless we're talking the GIO range and other lowest end/entry level models.

17. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

I have a photo of the current control cavity. It's an Indonesian guitar and sounds like garbage plugged in lots of interference like hissing, crackling etc. Its probably a perfect storm of terrible pickups, no shielding and bad soldering.

Although I was Impressed with how tidy the cavity is my last Indo guitar looked like a tornado hit.

[​IMG]

bostjan likes this.
  18. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Wow, that's interesting. Routed the sides of the cavity specifically to the pots? How bizarre.

I think that the cavity is shielded already. Conductive paint uses little particles of oxidized metal, so it appears kind of carbon gray in color.

19. MaxOfMetal

The black paint in the cavity is shielding paint.

Clean up the wiring and soldering first to see if that makes a difference.

20. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Oh really? I didnt think they did that on the Indo guitars, unless that's just standard practice. Yes I'll clean up all the wiring/soldering. I'll have to tear everything out anyway because I'm going to refinish the guitar so I'll need to heat gun + scrape everything off. I'm sure the pickups are half the problem too.