Adios eBay - New BS Rules

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by djpharoah, May 26, 2012.

1. djpharoah

djpharoah Awwww Yeaaaah Super Moderator

Recently tried to put up a few items on eBay and came across this BS where I got to now add a CC so that if there's a claim and there's no money in my bank or linked banked account I have to give eBay authorization to charge my CC.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/946678/

Looks like I'm no longer selling anything on eBay :noway:

2. Rook

Rook Electrifying

I've been avoiding them for a while, but I think its time we had the talk.

3. djpharoah

Yeah - this officially shuts down any future sale of items I have on eBay.

4. leandroab

leandroab Stay Negative™

This blows...

5. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

WTF. How about no, total bullshit. No clue what they're thinking. Time for a new Ebay methinks.

6. JP Universe

JP Universe Giggity Contributor

Ebay just won't do any sellers any favours.... and it feels like it's just getting worse

7. Djent

Djent Obviously!

I've avoided eBay ever since they put the whole "max bid" feature in. Kills the fun of trying to get your bid in before someone else.

8. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

Welp, on to Amazon. Been using them almost exclusively for a while now, good thing, too.

9. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

^I much prefer Amazon, only problem is not being able to find everything on there.

10. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

Amazon pwns. Stellar customer service too.

11. djpharoah

Thing with Amazon is you need to be selling something they are also selling. When you go to set it up - they ask you for which product you are selling - if you can't find it then according to their rules you can't sell it. So if it's something older you want to sell you can't.

12. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

When I can't find it on my Amazon, I can usually find it on the UK one. At least, for buying, that is.

:agreed:

Never had a single issue that they didn't solve immediately.

Yeah, that's definitely a draw back, especially for people with unique items.

13. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I figure out my maximum bid, add a bit more (at least $2 beyond an obvious cut off point, in case someone chose that same cut-off), and only post that bid 7 seconds before the end of the auction... too late for a human operator to post a new bid and confirm it.

And then I shut the window and move on, only checking later to see if I won.

It's interesting how often this approach works, and it keeps me from upping my bid due to auction fever.

----

I've noticed that a lot of sellers only accept bids from people with 100% positive feedback. I would imagine that would cut down on eBay scammers who pull stunts after receiving the goods.

14. Ryan-ZenGtr-

Ryan-ZenGtr- SS.org Regular

There's a massive thread in the eBay community section which basically outlines the user's interpretation of eBay's corporate strategy;

The Rumour

Remove all non business sellers. The end.

eBay are trying to improve their brand image and non business sellers or 2nd hand items are slowly being eliminated. Potentially it would make it a better market place for Chinese warehoused goods.

Scammers aid this as they push out bitter small time sellers, so increasing refund accesibility and service aids the agenda.

It's no conspiracy, it's better business.

^ Durp :nuts:

Have fun looking up the stories of business account shill bidding. eBay make a fortune from fees on it. Bid tracking tools have confirmed it is taking place to guarantee minimum sale prices on auctions, saving sellers on increased prices for buy it now and luring in unsuspecting bidders.

eBay conspiracies are quite good fun so take a look if you have some time on your hands. :D

15. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

I don't get it guys, what's the problem here?
    It's protecting you as a buyer from scammers who run away from refunds - that's the main intention.

As a seller - what problem do you have with giving your CC details? I presume most of you purchase things online regularly from other websites using your credit card details.

16. djpharoah

The issue becomes when you're the seller not the buyer. Ebay has gone soo far into the buyer side of things that now selling on there has become more of playing a dice game and hoping the person who buys your item is honest and will not bone you. Otherwise they can say this guitar wasn't as described and eBay will side with them.

17. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

I was taking the viewpoint that the issue was already there - but I do suppose sellers were safe from it providing they didn't keep money in their Paypal accounts.

18. djpharoah

Nope - eBay can go in and charge your linked CC via PayPal or your reimbursement method which is also a CC/paypal. If that doesn't work they can go into your bank account linked and grab the cash.

19. snowblind56

snowblind56 SS.org Regular

This thread on the Gear Page outlines it quite well why it sucks to be a small seller on ebay.

Ebay / Paypal Scam Update - The Gear Page

Basically, if you want to scam someone, all you have to do is pay via paypal with your credit card and then file a chargeback with your credit card. The credit card company will yank the money back from paypal and it is apparently fairly hard to fight.

Also, I am waiting for some brave lawyer to file a massive lawsuit against ebay/paypal. It wouldn't be hard to argue that their newer practice's facilitate fraud.

20. SkapocalypseNow

SkapocalypseNow Coffee Cups?

A place with stuff and things and people. Just kid
    I only relatively recently started using eBay as a business sales tool, but I don't even HAVE a credit card to put on file as is. Was nice while it lasted though.

I recommend looking into Bonanza a bit though -- much lower fees, and you can import feedback from eBay, there's just not quite as much exposure.