Active pickup to replace an EMG 85-7X in my Schecter Loomis. EMTY Blackout?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Legion, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Legion

Legion is a bloody army.

Hey all

Back again asking for pickup advice :p This time it's my Schecter Loomis 7. I replaced the stock 707's with and 85-7X and a 60-7X.
    Now I barely use the neck pickup on that guitar anyway, and the bridge pickup is not as tight as I'd like. I mean I'm that guy who hates using any kind of overdrive for tightness, because that kind of ULTRA tight super saturated djent tone just sounds...unpleasant to me.

I need something significantly tighter than the 85-7X, without an overbearing top end that sounds shrill and harsh. Super tight bottom end without using a boost assuming a reasonably tight amp.

I am being drawn towards the EMTY Blackout as of now. Any experience with this vs the 85X?

Thanks folks.

2. Álvaro QB

Álvaro QB SS.org Regular

81-7 turned my Schecter Hellraiser into a really tight machine. It cuts a lot the bass and the low mids in comparison to any other humbucker I've tried, and it is really clear.

It sounds anything but shrill or harsh in the Hellraiser, but as far as I know the Loomis is brighter and less bassy, so I'm not sure how it would work!

3. Legion

Legion is a bloody army.

The 81 is little TOO scratchy in the Loomis, unfortunately. I had considered it, but I found it pretty scratchy in a blackjack, a loomis is arguably brighter.

4. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

The EMTY has too much high end. Maybe try a Fluence modern? Voice 2 will get you there.

5. Legion

Legion is a bloody army.

Does the Fluence Modern fit right into my guitar, with the EMG solderless system? or will I have to rewire my guitar?

6. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

I did a Fluence Swap a couple of weeks ago,
    they require the fishman push pull to complete the circuitry PLUS regular ground wire to the bridge.
    You could get away with not using the push pull and do it like stef carpenter does, but does require that pin to connect some terminals.
    I was initially going to do it that way but did the regular 1 vol, 1 push pull tone for the voicings.

Sounds like trouble but I loveed the tones I was getting in the end. Moderns and the EMG 57 would be my favorites as far as active go.

Myself I would just swap it for a EMG 57 as that would just be direct swap.

I have heard that the EMTY is amazing for br00tz as well but never tried one personally.

Attached Files:

7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

i thought it was sweeter/ballsier mids that the EMTY had, not an over emphasised high end?.

Interesting because if the mids are sweeter than a normal blackout AND it has higher end sizzle too, then I will defo pick one up!!