Acoustic Strings for people who hate playing acoustic

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by vilk, Feb 23, 2018.

1. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I have an acoustic guitar that I never play. Part of the reason I hate playing acoustic guitar is because of how the strings feel.

Yes, I do fully understand that if I would just play acoustic a whole bunch, after a couple weeks it would feel natural. I don't intend to do that. Hey man, it's my life!

What are the lightest, least offensive acoustic strings on the market? I'm looking at Earthwood by Ernie Ball silk-steel extra soft .10-.50 set. Anyone ever use these? What did you think?
    What else is out there that's good?

2. n4t

n4t SS.org Regular

So far as I know you can just put any strings on you like. The strings on my Yamaha are not 'acoustic' strings. Just regular old Ernie Ball nickel strings.

3. nyxzz

nyxzz SS.org Regular

I use John Pearse 10's on a Martin and love it. Maybe not the best acoustic tone in the universe but it's easy to play.

4. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

The strings you use on an acoustic have a big effect on how the acoustic sounds. You can get away with 10s, but they will sound thin compared to heavier strings.

vilk likes this.
  5. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Maybe try classical guitar? It's not really the same but the strings have less tension and it's a fun instrument to noodle around on imo.

6. n4t

n4t SS.org Regular

I'm using .11's. Still slinky enough, but they sound a bit better than 10's and I can dial the action a little lower without buzz.

7. Kyle-Vick

Kyle-Vick Also likes Jeeps and Motocross.

I picked up a classical for this same reason. I was surprised by how different the fret board and neck is on one.

8. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I'm not concerned that it wont sound as good. I never perform or anything. But every once in a while I feel like playing acoustic and I have to put the guitar back down after 2 minutes because it's so fucking terrible.

I like classical guitar, and I have one. I do my little pseudo-flamenco thing. But I like the sound of a steel string guitar, and because the only acoustic songs I know how to play were written for steel string guitar.

9. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Well especially if you don't care about the sound that much I guess there's nothing stopping you from just getting some light strings and trying it out. But I would think going up in gauge would have a bigger effect on tone than concerning yourself with brand or material of strings.

Maybe you can increase string gauge stepwise, hehe. Start with 10's, then go to 11's, 12's and 13's if your guitar can handle it :)

10. vilk

vilk Very Regular

But... but... but acoustic strings are brown!!!!

11. Curt

Curt Where we're going we don't need neck pickups

I have forever swore by Martin SP 80/20 bronze in 11-52

12. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

D'Addario sells their American Bronze strings in .009-.045. Those are probably gonna sound really poor, but you asked for it...