Absolutely MINT condition guitar for sale

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hollowway, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Dead mint, except for a one inch gouge in the front near the volume knob. Headstock has the tip broken off from a bump. Only played a few hours in my smoke free studio. Just decided I want to give it a better home! Priced to sell.

(Just getting my frustration with the loose definition of “mint” out of my system, here. Note that price is probably MAP for a new one, lol.)

2. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

What a coincidence, I also happen to be selling a [GUITAR_MODEL] that's practically brand new! Actually has under 30 minutes of play time on it, I would keep it literally forever but due to [UNFORTUNATE_CIRCUMSTANCE] I have to sell it. Please also check out the other dozen listings on my profile! I have a history of a couple hundred transactions on here, so you can breathe easy!
    --
    I never understood why selling a guitar HAS to be a "loaded gun pointed at my head" level event. Why is nobody ever up front about why they want to sell it? I hate the trem. I don't like the finish anymore. I bought another guitar with a Rosewood board and realized I didn't like Maple that much. All totally valid reasons to sell a guitar but I never see anything like this, it's always "WELL GEE MY GRANDMOTHER GOT TURBO CANCER ON THE SAME DAY MY BROTHER GOT HIT BY A CAR AND WHEN I TOLD MY BOSS I GOT FIRED BUT I JUST GOT DIVORCED AND MY WIFE TOOK THE HOUSE SO I HAVE TO SELL MY GEAR NOW."
    I mean I know shit happens but come on.

3. Hollowway

Yeah, and the, “it wipes the floor with my Mayones and custom Jackson” business drives me batty, too. If a guitar is THAT good, why aren’t you selling your custom Jackson and Mayones?

DiezelMonster, cip 123, budda and 4 others like this.
  4. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I just spit pretzels all over my keyboard. Totes worth it.

5. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I think the trend of overselling the guitars, when they are of course in good condition and as described, is to verify to the potential buyer that the guitar is actually good and there's no underlying issue with it. If you can't generate some level of exitement to the potential buyer you won't be able to sell the instrument fairly quickly, even if it's priced fairly. The target audience for middle tier guitars will try to negotiate a lower price if they see a spec of dust on the guitar, never mind if just say "meh I've fallen out of love with tbw instrument". Then you'll getoffered peanuts. The same for more expensive instruments. I once had a guy asking for more photos and commenting that the book matching on a Schecter SLS wasn't great.

I don't know if this actually works on anyone but truth be told but, aside from a couple of instruments I didn't really gel but still were great instruments, the rest would be keepers if finance allowed and GAS didn't strike.

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The term "mint" has lost all value.

Everything is "mint" now. It could be "mint -", "near mint", "mostly mint", "mint-ish", "practically mint" or my personal favorite: "absolutely mint, but...".

I don't really believe sellers anyway. Never trust someone who wants your money. Look at the pics, ask bluntly if the pics are 100% accurate and recent and hope for the best.

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

I've found that it doesn't matter what you price some gear, people will still try to lowball you. I've had people try to lowball me for a fucking 30$ pickup, let alone for some of the guitars I've sold. I'm perfectly comfortable having stuff listed for over a year, and I'm usually in no hurry to sell stuff, even though I try to list my stuff with relatively competitive pricing.
    Savvy gear buyers can smell desperation in a sales post, so if people are posting stuff like "OMG my mom has turbo ass cancer, make me an offer", then they kind of deserve to get lowballed.

neurosis, Edika and Furtive Glance like this.
  8. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

I would buy a rad mint guitar.

9. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

Any Jem-ites know what these go for normally? I have no Jem historical knowledge. Says Jem on the headstock, said to have Dimarzios and FR. The price seems exceedingly low unless Ibanez made super cheap versions. Also its titled as RARE and LIKE NEW.

upload_2018-9-30_10-52-17.png

upload_2018-9-30_10-56-34.png

Hollowway and Edika like this.
  10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Just make sure it's got a real Floyd Rose, not one of those shitty licensed jobs.

The906 and Hollowway like this.
  11. Hollowway

Exactly. That was one of the phrases that made me do the thread. It said, "Mint, except for a one in gouge in the front of the guitar." :lol:

Edika likes this.
  12. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

"so mint it gives you fresh breath"

13. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

This doesn't relate to guitars but I've had the same guy locally try to lowball me when I was selling my vehicles. One year apart, same guy comes when I sell my Honda Passport and then again when I sold my Pontiac Sunfire. I'm not sure I was the mature one when I told him to "get the fuck off my property and quit wasting my time" but I imagine that I'd do the same if it were guitars instead.

14. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

You'd be surprised how many people make it their full time job to go fishing with he lowball to go on to sell what they bought from you with a small profit/margin.

When we were moving away from Providence I had a Craigslist ad up to sell our bed. I never disclosed we had to move but still got a lot of furniture flippers stopping by. One lady came and sat in my kitchen with her husband after taking a stroll through my house. Part of the conversations we had went like this:

- Mrs Lowball: I am not interested in buying your bed but I will buy it.
    - Me (ironically): Oh wow, thank you.
    - Mrs LB: Not so quick. I will buy the bed-frame for 50% and the mattress for 30% but the mattress is not important so your call.
    - Me (calmly): I am not a store. I don't work with percentages. I don't do discounts. I listed this as priced to sell. I can sell you the frame for what I advertised and make exception and keep the mattress.
    - Mrs LB: That is a really bad deal. It's clear to me that you do not know how this works. I do not want the mattress so you are not doing me a favor. I want that bookshelf instead. For the price of the mattress.

I said the stuff was no longer for sale and Kindly invited them to leave, which they did. Some people are just wired like that. They gamble and try their luck on you.

Talking about gear. I only do trades or sell if the recipient is willing to go on FaceTime or Skype and show me the guitar in question. Or if I can go and check it out. I do not like hard negotiators who are always trying to come out on top for equal or higher value items. It's their right to be aggressive but I have the right to say no.

Back on topic. yes, descriptions can be vague and sometimes superlative. But I see it sort of as a common lingo kind of thing and less as bad intentions. As Max said, inquire and get any guarantee you need. From there on it's a gamble.

15. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins (*Block version, not sig) Contributor

I had the opposite problem. I just sold a guitar that I listed as 'very good'. The guitar was 30-40 years old and was in really good condition for it's age. (Everything works, clean, new strings, everything included, but had several dings commensurate with age.) Also keep in mind he haggled me down via 3 counteroffers and in the end I sold what was originally listed as a $400 guitar for $250.

I had 15 ultra HD photos from all angles and used my flash to really highlight all the blems. I also included in the description comments about some of the dings and referenced the pics. The buyer asked about the trem bar which wasnt pictured so I took 3 more photos of the guitar with it. He contacted me when he received it and said I was deceitful, because I didnt point out the pickguard was slightly warped. He then unscrewed several screws, lifted the pickguard, and took a closeup pic to make it look worse than it was! Meanwhile I had a preshipment photo of the same area with his shipping label next to guitar showing the real condition. I contacted reverb CS and they laughed when they saw his scam photo. At least Reverb had my back.

EverDream, Vyn, narad and 1 other person like this.
  16. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

I stopped posting a description of what condition guitars are in years ago and simply list "Condition as per photos." People's definitions of condition vary greatly and also influence how low of an offer the buyer is going to offer you initially. I'd rather post up 10-15 HD photos and let the buyer decide for themselves what the condition is.

17. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

My personal favorite selling experience was when I sold off 90% of my gear before moving to Portland for work. One of the items was a guitar I’d bought used for $200, and sold for $200, plus shipping. I shipped the guitar with a dust cover rubber-banded around the headstock, a business card in the band, in a gig bag, within a guitar shipping box. I had ran out of clear shipping tape; and so had to seal one end of the box with red duct tape I had on-hand.

Two weeks later, in my new apartment, I start getting the partial-refund eBay messages from the buyer:

Guy: Finally got around to playing the guitar - Looks like it hasn’t been played in years. Nothing like the photos. I’m definitely going to need a partial refund for new strings and a full setup by a guy I know.

Me: I put on new strings, made sure they were intonated, and cleaned the guitar before taking photos for the listing. The action should still be set to my preferences (low). The listing photos should be the exact condition you received the guitar in. You may return the guitar for a full refund. I’m not going to play any games essentially paying you to keep the guitar. Also, please send photos of the guitar so that I and eBay may compare them to the listing photos.

Guy: Dude I plugged the guitar into a friend’s amp and it DID NOT WORK. I really want this guitar, but you’re going to need to pay for the repairs.

Me: Return the guitar for a refund. I just moved to a new state. The shipping address is _____. Ship the guitar to that address and I will refund the sale price, assuming I receive the guitar in the same condition I sent it in.

Guy: OK I just mailed off the guitar. Now refund me.

Me: I’m going to need to receive the guitar before refunding you. That’s how this works. Also, please provide the tracking number.

Turns out the guy shipped the guitar to my old address. While dealing with that, he repeatedly messaged me with demands for a refund on the basis that he “held up his end of the process” by mailing the guitar to the wrong state; and should be refunded for his efforts.

I finally got the guitar forwarded to the right state, and saw that the guy had never even opened the box: The business card, rubber band, dust cover, and red duct tape had never been disturbed. I emailed eBay photos of the unopened box and its contents and told them to reach their own conclusions regarding what had transpired. eBay suspended the guy’s account and never initiated a refund.

In the end, I was paid $200 to dignify the guy’s messages (minus the $25 I paid to get it forwarded from my old address), and he was out an additional $100 for shipping, both ways.

I really wish I still had his email and home address.

18. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Well, sounds like justice was served for a change :lol:

EverDream likes this.
  19. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Looks like the bridge was replaced at least, the cavity's huge :lol: Looks a bit like my explorer, on which the cavity was too small for the Edge Pro I put in it, so I hacked it larger using a sharp screwdriver (didn't have any better tool for it at that time) and then painted the inside black using a permanent marker :lol:

The906 likes this.
  20. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

When I first started reading this story, I had high hopes you had tried to sell the Wylde Audio Lego Guitar in "mint condition"

Andrew Lloyd Webber likes this.