About to replace Air Norton (N)

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Snarpaasi, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Snarpaasi

Snarpaasi SS.org Regular

Hi,

I've had my Air Norton for many years now whereas the bridge pickup has changed quite often. I've had a Rebel Yell for 2 years now and it has been a perfect one to the bridge position, very crispy, slightly bright with some saturation. I like the excellent note definition. In comparison the Air Norton feels very bassy and note separation could be better. Before I've had a '59 neck which was way too bright and the same goes for VH-II, which had a weird top end, sounding like a single-coil.

A long time ago I had in another guitar a Warpig set and the neck pickup was amazing. Playing has never been so easy. It sounded so full but at the same time it felt like cheating because of the high output.

Currently I'm considering Jazz, Sentient, Evolution and Black Dog. Any opinions?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Why not just go for a Warpig in the neck since you know you like it?

Otherwise I'd look at a Dimarzio PAF Pro or Ionizer, depending on 6 or 7 string. I've used the Air Norton in the neck a few guitars, one of which also had a Rebel Yell bridge, and the PAF Pro should be a good fix for your issues with the AN. It's less bassy, clearer, and does great glassy cleans or solo tones. The voicing is more similar to the Rebel Yell, so it should work nicely as a pair

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I love the Sentient and the Dimarzio PAF Pro, but if you like the Rebel Yell, the neck Rebel Yell pairs very well with it, and offers excellent note definition and clarity. I found both of them kind of underpowered, but that's clearly not an issue with yours.

4. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

Jazz is a safe and cheaper choice. Staying with BKP might be the preferred option though. Like TWAT and Drew say, warpig and rebel might be good options. I also dig Miracle Man, very versatile.

The 'air' in air norton means the magnets are tilted away from the pole screws at one side, doesn't it? That's probably where the lack of definition is coming from.

5. Snarpaasi

Snarpaasi SS.org Regular

Thanks for the comments. Twat, like I mentioned the warpig felt a bit like cheating because of the little effort required. I guess paf pro could be a better option then, I've had it in rg3120 but dont remember anything about the tone.

I consider Paf Pro and Jazz are way more easier to find from second hand market and they are twice as cheap too. Not that I would consider BKP expensive, they're definitely value for the money.

6. charlessalvacion

charlessalvacion SS.org Regular

Try Liquifire. Close to Air Norton but not that boomy, a bit brighter IMO.

7. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Try the Evolution Neck - nice clarity, but still not overly sharp. PAF Pro would be my second recommendation...

jclogston and TheWarAgainstTime like this.