A Workout Program Based on these Available Machines...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by leandroab, Jan 9, 2015.

1. leandroab

leandroab Stay Negative™

I haven't worked out for the last three and a half years and I need to get back. I've worked out for two years straight before this long break. Since then I got pretty sedentary, and with a considerable beer belly.

Today I find myself living abroad for 4 months, and my finances are strict (no money for gym subscription). The condo I live in has a gym, but it has limited equipment for weight training. Since I always worked out in "regular" gyms, I always had supervision of a professional, which would also create a workout program based on my goals (muscle hypertrophy). Since I have no knowledge of the mechanics of the exercises, which muscles are isolated and etc, I don't find myself capable to create my own workout plan, since that could have dangerous results.

With that considered, I would like to know what is the best that I can get, with the following machines, to work as most muscle groups as possible:

Low row/Lat pull down machine (wide bar and v bar)
    Seated leg extension/curl machine
    Flat Bench Press Machine
    Ab bench

Unfortunately, there are no dumbells, bars, etc. I have to work with what it's available.

Can I get a decent (not perfect, ideal. But decent.) workout with these machines? If so, what exercises, reps, rest days, etc?

I'm:
    5'7" 150 pounds
    Probably 20-30% bodyfat

Thanks!

2. leandroab

leandroab Stay Negative™

No one? Dammit :erk:

3. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

I got you buddy.

So because you have so few machines i would say do them all in a circuit like so:

Flat bench: 3 sets, 12 reps

Lat pulldown (widebar): 3 sets 12 reps

Back row: 3 sets 12 reps

Do 3 sets of body weight jumping squats: 3 sets, 12-15 reps (go higher if need be)

leg extension: 3 sets 10 reps

leg curl: 3 sets, 10 reps

abs: 3 sets, As Many Reps As Possible

30 seconds rest between all sets

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Machines are not ideal, but they're not bad either. once you get good at machines (and comfortable working out) and you still don't have access to weights and things like that, i would highly recommend getting yourself the book "convict conditioning" and other body-weight training manuals.

gymnastic strength (what most body weight programs lead to) is very underrated. to be able to move your body weight with balance and fluidity is skill.

also look into the Kavadlo brothers. very similar workout ideas and they are featured on Bodybuilding.com a lot.

4. leandroab

leandroab Stay Negative™

I came up with this, yesterday:

Leg ext 3 x 10
    Leg Curl 3 x 10
    Bench Press 3 x 10
    Cable Rows 3 x 10
    Triceps Push Downs 3 x 10
    Lat Pull Downs 3 x 10
    Abs 3 x 15
    Plank (60s or until I can't hold it anymore)

All 70-75% 1RM.

But I don't know what sequence is the best. Maybe this one:

Bench Press 3 x 10
    Leg ext 3 x 10
    Lat Pull Downs 3 x 10
    Leg Curl 3 x 10
    Triceps Push Downs 3 x 10
    Abs 3 x 15 (my abs suck, probably my maximum)
    Cable Rows 3 x 10
    Plank

5. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

That is a good sequence. I would just thrown some body weight squats just so your quads don't get forgotten

6. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Leg extensions are a quad isolation exercise, so they won't be. :lol: That being said, I do totally agree with the body weight squats. Do them explosively to a jump, though. That will help your bar speed when you do finally get to a gym. Hitting multiple body parts per workout is never bad, but I would do it like this:

DAY 1 -
    Bench Press: 5x5
    Close-grip bench: 5x5
    Paused bench: 5x5
    Lat Pulldown: 3x10
    Triceps Pushdown: 3x12
    Pushups: 3xAMRAP (as many reps as possible)
    Lying leg raise for time: 3xAMRAP
    Situps: 3xAMRAP

DAY 2 -
    Explosive body weight squats: 3xAMRAP
    Lunges: 3xDistance (Not sure what you have to work with, but go fairly far on these :lol:)
    Leg Extension: 4x15
    Leg Curl: 4x15
    Box/Ledge Jumps: 3x50 (Just find a ledge that's a challenging jump for you)
    Plank: 3x2 minutes
    Lat pulldowns: 3x10

DAY 3 -
    Lat Pulldown: 10x10
    Seated Rows: 5x10
    Crunches: 3xAMRAP
    Plank: 3x2 minutes
    Run: 1-mile

You read the number of sets for your day 3 correctly. A big back will translate well to everything else. Since you don't have a barbell with free weights, you can't deadlift or do bent-over rows, so you really need to compensate for that elsewhere. I also do lat pulldowns every single day. They build a crucial base for your deadlift, speed out of the bottom on your bench, and tightness in the squat. Plus they give you a cobra hood back, which sounds like what you want. Start eating clean, and eating more. Drink a shit ton of water every day. At least a gallon. It's definitely fine to work yourself into the cleaner eating, as you don't want to shock yourself and burn out your interest in it. The water is crucial, though.