A Transgender Metalhead has won a seat in the House of Representatives in Virginia

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by tacotiklah, Nov 7, 2017.

1. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Okay, folks, let’s try to get this thread back on topic: There isn’t one.

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Dude, this keeps becoming about transgender rights, because both sides keep making it about that. If you don't like the fact that the topic keeps coming up, then continually bringing up the fact is like trying to keep your horse alive by beating it to death.

Anyway, a big part of this victory was about how the opposing candidate behaved in response to this candidate.

Roem's platform was about LGBT rights, and taking the money spent on anti-LGBT propaganda in the state of Virginia and using it to rebuild the roads and infrastructure instead of using it to try (unsuccessfully) to brainwash people. Even not-super-extreme right wingers were cool with that.

I think the bigger issue here, as it's revealed itself in this thread is that people who think something doesn't make sense to them are willing to accept things that really don't make any sense at all, and are willing to abandon logical thought in discussion entirely, just to stick to a point that maybe doesn't make that much of a difference.

Do you care more about whether a lawmaker has a penis or not, or whether the lawmaker will lead legislation in a more fruitful direction than the opposing candidate? I think everybody can ask that question, but it seems one side is more willing to ask than to answer their own question. :noway:

glassmoon0fo and zappatton2 like this.
  3. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    So, @Unleash The Fury , does this mean you were unable to actually find a source for your claim? Even when you also claim it's easily found?

Personally, I'd be embarrassed to be writing checks which the facts can't cover.

The more interesting question to me at this point is... will you man up and admit, in the absence of a source, that you attempted to spread a false claim? Or, will you prove to be the actual snowflake and avoid the discomfort of manning up?

4. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

No it means im done. I dont even care anymore. This is a losing battle. Theres no point of posting the source of my claim because this argument will still continue to go back and forth. Im clearly in the minority here, im defending myself from several people on here. These are just little social issues, there are bigger problems than this. Big brother loves dividing the people by having them go at war with each other. Its not worth it. Im tired from it. Im done

5. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    You're assuming that everyone will dismiss a solidly sourced story supporting your claim. Oddly enough, you're using that as justification for not actually providing a solidly sourced story as support. What's up with that?

For someone who talks about how easy it is to find proof of your claims, what do you think a casual observer would think of your inability to do exactly that?
    Hmm... done with posting claims lacking any factual support? That's awesome! You'll find that it's actually really freeing to base one's worldview on reality, instead of trying to twist things to support unfounded narratives.

Someone posted an appropriate graphic recently, although they apparently were engaging in projection of their own position upon others. Here it is.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    AxeHappy, vilk, glassmoon0fo and 3 others like this.
  6. glassmoon0fo

glassmoon0fo Some Say...

"I don't even care anymore"

Check out The Fox and The Grapes, short fable it'll take literally 30 seconds. This isn't a mcdonalds drive thru so I'm not going to post it for you, BUT you can actually find it on google. Promise it'll be worth it!

EDIT: just to add, I hate that people feel bullied before they feel maybe just a little bit wrong. Unleash, we're not being divisive, we're trying to be as inclusive as possible, but that means for EVERYONE, not just you and those you personally value. It'd be a better world if we seek first to understand and then be understood. I don't think theres much a chance that anybody here misunderstands your point, maybe try and see the oposite and try it on, promise it wont shrink your peener or anything. Hell, it make a whole lot more colorful friends! Have a solid day bro

Tech Wrath, tedtan, AxeHappy and 3 others like this.
  7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

1) She, not he.
    2) Mostly, she campaigned on a platform of dealing with congestion on Rt 28, one of the major arteries for commuters in her district, and expanding it to help with some of the abysmal traffic. Her opponent campaigned on being an incumbent, and on his opponent being transgender. Guess who won. :)

(I have a couple friends in that district, who used to occasionally do shows with her band. Their takeaway is Roem is basically living proof that all politics IS local. She was a political reporter in the area, knew what her constituents were frustrated with, had a pretty good idea how to message it, and unseated a decades-long incumbent known for not doing much more than the occasional conservative bait type stuff that would die in the house like, ironicallly, VA's anti-transgender bathroom bill. :lol:)

AxeHappy likes this.
  8. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

You're cute when you're an asshole.

No, not really.

She won on issues, knocking on doors of her constituents and talking about her plans for transportation and health care. Not that you would care, since you didn't even bother to raise your bigoted mindset enough to find out, snowflake.

9. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Says the guy making divisive comments.

Tech Wrath and vilk like this.
  10. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Hey man, I with you brother. If you look back, it's really all been going downhill ever since we gave women the right to vote!

11. Unleash The Fury

Whos "we"?

12. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

The gat dang 19th amendment!

13. Unleash The Fury

Your waiting for me to post a link you could have researched 500 different links yourself.

14. Unleash The Fury

Your assuming i have problem with peoples rights' now?? Also with your comical ad lib "gat dang", your equating me with someone from the south? Which i assume that you presume that said person from the south would be a kkk nazi pickup truck driving confederate flag waving gun tootin racist redneck cowboy........Thats just real nice of you, person who doesnt know me. This discussion has gone way over everyone elses head. Not mine. Thats why im done

15. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Hey bro dont get mad at me, im just staytin fax.

16. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

No presumptions, they all are. Don't let the conservative media fool you... Most of our local news is about events like possum cookoffs and skeet shootin' tournaments. All of our news anchors have the same last name, too.

17. narad

narad SS.org Regular

This is bullshit. There's the concept of "burden of proof". In this case, if you state an outlandish claim, it is assumed bullshit until proven as fact. The fact that your own link you proposed was not relevant is just more evidence of your inability to produce actual links/support for the things you say.

Or in Wikipedia terminology, citation needed. Wikipedia does not have tons of, "This ain't mcdonald's drive-thru, google it yourself" every time a claim is stated.

Actually it makes me wonder how long forums are going to get filled with BS stuff, until the community can just flag posts as factually inaccurate and require an attached citation to resolve it.

AxeHappy likes this.
  18. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Listen, man, when you're talking about politics on the internet, and you're starting to take heat from ALL sides, maybe it's a good idea to put the mouse down and slowly back out of the thread. Just saying.

19. Beefmuffin

Beefmuffin New Boot Goofin

The fact that this subject even had people coming in naysaying and throwing a fit just shows that this is actually an issue here and should be something very much worth celebrating. This gets a big HUZZAH in my books. When your goal is equality and not separation due to gender/sexuality/"race", then I don't see any reason why anyone would ever be upset by this.

AxeHappy, Randy and bostjan like this.
  20. glassmoon0fo

glassmoon0fo Some Say...

Again, feeling bullied instead of just "maybe I'm a bit off here" type thoughts. Just CONSIDER that maybe you're a bit outdated here homie, the worst that could happen is that you gain a bit of perspective.