A quote that everyone needs to read

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by MikeH, May 16, 2010.

1. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

So I came across this quote by Vincent Bennett from The Acacia Strain and thought a few people on here would appreciate it, and everyone would learn from it.

That's something that really hits home for me seeing as every band in Cincy is now doing it for the fame and to get high school girls all over their nuts. So think about it the next time you're in a genre war. :agreed:

2. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

Awesome. :metal:

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  3. iondestroyer1527

iondestroyer1527 Banned

it's funny THEY would be the band that quote would come from because they're the biggest sell outs of any metal band EVER. listen to their first cd and then the ones that proceeded it. good quote from a shitty source IMO.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  4. metal_sam14

metal_sam14 Tard

The genre nazi's over at UG should read this.
    I agree with the statement, why worry about putting a label on everything?, If you like it, then listen to it. if you dont like it, shut the fuck up and go listen to something you do like, and dont give someone else shit because you dont like it.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  5. ry_z

ry_z Ikebana Noise Club

Hell, Oscar Wilde said:

:cool:

poopyalligator likes this.
  6. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

They went from death metal influenced hardcore to heavily hardcore influenced death metal. Major change.:rolleyes:

7. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Don't worry, anyone in a genre that's not popular has had this motto for YEARS. I've been saying it for about 2 years now since I've been working on Stoner/Doom stuff, and aside from that I have a Grindcore album that's halfway done and is about Mortal Kombat for fuck's sake! :lol: Do I expect to see ANY profit aside from who I show it to that might give me a dollar for a hard copy? No way cause it's unrealistic and I don't necessarily even want it.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  8. yetti

yetti Thrashsquatch Contributor

Ummmm, what? In what way are they sellouts? :scratch:

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  9. Andii

Andii Captain tying knots

You're doing it here, in a thread about it.

10. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Success Troll is quite unsuccessful.

11. ittoa666

ittoa666 /)'3'(\

metal_sam14 likes this.
  12. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

Awesome quote:yesway:

13. iondestroyer1527

iondestroyer1527 Banned

i withdraw my statement and the one i was just trying to make to rebut these posts. everytime i read this quote in the op i just feel more like this guy is full of shit. simply my opinion.
    "We write the music we do because we like playing it, and if people are into it then that’s an amazing bonus."
    i feel when you alter your music to make it sell more you've done the opposite. so i will "shut up" and not listen to the acacia strain (cept the first cd).imo

14. Aurochs34

Aurochs34 SDMF, mofos

Great quote for sure. :yesway:

hehe ^^^ be careful yourself mate :wavey:

15. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Isn't this guy more guilty of generalization or categorization than the latter group (the listeners debating on the internets) that he mentions? First of all, I've never seen people actually debate if a band is -core or not; the argument (as with ANY band discussed) is usually if the band is good or not. Second, his statement about trend-following bands tacitly implies that he, too, is guilty of the perceived sin of genre-consciousness as he obviously knows what style is popular right now and identify which bands play in that style... AND he goes as far as to claim to be able to identify people's motivations for playing in bands that aren't as genuine as his, apparently.

I think that if somebody likes to argue about music more than they like to listen to music, then there's a real problem- but that's a gimme and I'll agree with that all day. I also think that people can join and play in bands for whatever reason they fucking want- not everybody wants to reinvent the wheel- so if they enjoy doing what they do, no matter how mind-blowingly unoriginal it is, there should be no quarrel with that. I also think it's retarded to imply that discussions of subgenres are useless and hamper one's appreciation of music- it doesn't take a particularly acute sense of hearing to know that certain styles of music sound different.

16. Krullnar

Krullnar SS.org Regular

Usually when you hear someone say something like that, it's from a band that fits neatly into a genre that people tend to hate on. And that fits the bill here for sure (metalcore, deathcore).

17. BigPhi84

BigPhi84 Pronounced "FEE"

I couldn't have said it better. Rep +1 for you, sir. :yesway:

18. AliceAxe

AliceAxe SS.org Regular

why do it?
    because its what humans are born to do since the invention of language, to explain , define , categorize , and describe thing to fellow humans. Relay without some sort of genre definition if you wanted to find music of a certain sound when wading through the hordes of possibilities that exist , how would you narrow it down for what you are looking for?

I think the problem lies more with musical prejudice than definitions.
    place more importance on genre as a defining characteristic as to whether you will like something or not. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder and not liking something is ok too IMO.

TheHandOfStone and BigPhi84 like this.
  19. BigPhi84

BigPhi84 Pronounced "FEE"

Rep+1 for you too. :yesway:

I'll admit, I've been guilty of being prejudiced. I jumped on the bandwagon of Killswitch Engage hate years ago. A few months back, there was a thread here about trying to get a KSE-type tone from the Axe-FX. I figured that I would try to accomplish this with my Axe-FX, so I bought one of their CDs (End of Heartache) to get an ear for their sound and they're one of my favorite bands to listen to now while driving. Sure, the music isn't technical, but it's really aggressive and heart-pumping.

Prydogga likes this.
  20. nhersom

nhersom Banned

The Acacia Strain have def followed the breakdown fad. They among bands like the Red Cord pretty much started metalcore. After they lost there 3rd guitarist i don't know what happened to them.