A new V is born!

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by electriceye, Jan 2, 2017.

1. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

Weird! It IS a Mac thing! It's fine on my iPad.

Anyway, yeah, believe it or not, there's a method using egg whites!
    https://homegrownlutherie.wordpress.com/2013/02/04/grain-filling-with-egg-whites/

I probably slapped on 6 coats when all was said and done. After wet sanding and re-applying a few times, I smoothed it out with 320 and it was like glass. I started priming it tonight... :)

2. electriceye

Been a while since I gave any updates on this. It's been a long ride. I finally started painting it last week. Dummy me, I only ordered one can of Killer Kans candy red. Well, that went QUICK. I tried to order more and I can't find them anywhere. Found another popular brand and got two more cans. Emptied one today. I'll be honest, I'm impressed by myself. :D But, the downside is, the paint really shows just how much further I needed to go with the grain filling on this. And a lot of my sanding marks are showing a bit. But, otherwise, looking good for a first build. If I do any more Vs with a paint finish (next one I'm doing is a vintage-style white limba, so no paint), I may opt to send it out. We'll see.

Anyway, a few more coats of candy red and then on to the black headstock and clear coats. I really hope to have this baby done by the end of the month.

Attached Files:

3. electriceye

Well, thought I'd be lucky enough to shoot some clear today, as we're back from vacation. Nope! Those 6 beautiful coats of black I sprayed on the headstock a couple of weeks ago? Yeah, looks like crackle. Clearly, the underlying primer is incompatible with the Killer Cans black. So, gonna just sand it down to bare wood and spray directly.

While I'm at it, I got some black overspray on the side since the masking tape had lifted and I didn't notice. I sanded it away using 800 grit, but the candy layer is SO thin (mind you, I used THREE cans of candy undercoat on this damn axe), it went down to primer. I sprayed a couple of coats, but it looks like sh*t. I wiped it with some naphtha today and was going to try again to fix it, but that's when I noticed the above issue.

Next time I build a V with a painted finish, I'm sending it out. Too much of a pain.

Attached Files:

Mr_Mar10 and KR250 like this.
  4. electriceye

So, things are finally moving along, after having to fix so many issues with the candy red coat. I started spraying the clear today. I am LOVING this SprayMax 2k. Once it hardens, it is NICE. Of course, I need to wet sand it down, but it just feels and looks so nice. I managed to do 2.5 coats on the V and one coat on my super strat. I got a little eager on the headstock, so I have to sand out a few runs. Oh well. Lesson learned.

Some cool news, a very well-known builder offered to help me with my fretwork this coming weekend. I showed you guys sort of how I messed up the frets on the SS, but may have saved them. Since this V is going to be my son's (even though he's 8 and this guitar is almost bigger than him) I really want to get the frets right. So, I should be gluing them in this week and then having a total MASTER help me learn how to do it right.

Attached Files:

5. electriceye

I've decided to throw in the towel on getting the finish right on the V. It's taken me months of prep and mistakes. The latest BIG mistake was when I took off the tape along the fretboard. The layers of primer and paint built up and there was a sharp edge sticking out the entire length of the neck. I tried to be as careful as I could scraping it, but it exposed the white primer, isn't very clean and there really is no fixing it. How the heck do you avoid getting that sharp edge?????

So, I contacted Stike to see what I have to do to get it ready for him and how much it will cost me. It's just not worth the time and frustration any more. I've probably wasted about $200 in paint on it already and it looks like shit in spots.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  6. MoonJelly

MoonJelly brainless and deadly Contributor

sorry for your finishing woes. I've found a good rule of thumb--if it won't scrape, it will sand, and vice versa. Also a little brush and some gloss Mod Podge goes a long way to soften those sharp paint lines. You don't need the matte stuff, sandpaper will knock it down to a nice satin if you don't want it looking shiny.

[​IMG]

7. electriceye

I think one of the problems is that I used white primer. Many of the tutorials I read/watched never mention using primer. The red is SO thin that is takes several layers to build up, which means anytime I try to fix one area, you can still see it.

Since this is a first build, and I talked with my son last night, I MAY keep it as is and finish it, despite the flaws. I plan on building many, many more so maybe its time to finish this and move on. Then again, the wife DID approve the cost.... :)

8. electriceye

Almost there!! Just polishing her up. Have to install the tuners and nut, drill holes for the PG screws and stain the fretboard. Hoping to be complete by the end of this wknd. :)

Attached Files:

9. electriceye

Well.....here it is. My very first completed build (I use completed loosely, as I have to drill for the truss rod cover, intonate it and figure out how to lower the atrocious action height)!! At the beginning of the thread, I sort of showed you the shitty wood I was working with - warped wood and all. Being my first build, I made, literally, every mistake possible. It's not perfect, by any means. But it's done. And I learned a ton. And, to be honest, it even sounds good!! I got the wiring right on the FIRST attempt! WOO! Anyway, here's the "complete" pic. I plugged her in and it sounds just as good as I had hoped. Of course, I just play through the Pod 6 program on my Mac, so I can emulate anything. I haven't played much at all the past few years, so my chops are super rusty and fingers soft. Anyway, here's build #1 (excuse the mess on the table):

Attached Files: