A little info about stem cell research.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by bostjan, Jul 20, 2006.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Ok. Everyone in this debate is missing one huge fucking fact.

Stems cells do not come from aborted fetuses. They come from fertility clinic medical waste.

At the clinic, scientists fertilize an egg to implant in a woman for birth. But they don't just fertilize one egg, they fertilize dozens, sometimes only one ends up surviving, but usually several survive. The mother has the baby, and contacts the clinic and says "I don't want to pay to have these embryos kept alive any more," so the embryos are destroyed.

This has nothing to do with abortion, it only deals with stem cells, embryos, and in vitro fertilization.

[/Public service announcement]

Now, anyone has the right to feel however they wish about the ethics involved, but pro-life ? anti-stem-cell-research. Anti-artificial-insemanation = anti-stem-cell-research.

2. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

I've never missed that fact. However, I'm not trying to manipulate the issue to please voters...

3. David

David je t'aime Contributor

I think I know what your opinion on it is... and I :agreed: .

4. bostjan

Well, not everyone, but I'm dying for someone to publicly state this fact in a newspaper or on CNN or whatever. I suppose there is no room for fact, nor room for logic in this sort of argument.

Between the 1950's and 1990's, we landed on the moon (or whatever David claims happened instead, lol), overcame the cold war, sent landers to mars, invented personal computers, linked up the internet, found a dozen new ways to harness solar energy, obtained near-equality as far as civil rights, and found a cure for sickle cell anemia, among countless other scientific and social achievements. In the last six years, we have re-entered the cold war, found new ways to misinform the public, fucked with the geneva convention, done away with emmissions standards, abolished human rights for some minorities, and in several states- outlawed the research that found the cure for sickle cell, and federally cut funding to finding cures for hundreds of other diseases…we even put cyclomate back on the market, knowing full-well that it causes cancer.

I hate to seem like I'm foaming at the mouth and crying shenanigans just because I can't have my way, but this is total b.s.

ohio_eric, noodles and Mastodon like this.
  5. Nik

Nik Arrogant asshole

bostjan-you're my hero :yesway: I'd give you rep, but you don't need any more.

Bush is a retard for pulling out the veto on this one.

6. Mykie

Mykie Fatal Havoc

Bush is retarted for everything he does.

7. David

David je t'aime Contributor

you clearly don't watch the Colbert Report enough... facts are lame... they're dumb. Don't pay attention to them, go by your gut.;)

:cheers:

8. Mastodon

Mastodon Songs about My Cats

That's alot of backtracking we did there.

9. Dylan7620

Dylan7620 that guy

wait, we're in the cold war again? did i miss something? :scratch:

10. Jason

Jason Forum MVP

probably im confused to don't worry :hug:

11. bostjan

Yeah. Every blood country is starting to obtain nuclear capabilities. North Korea doesn't count on it's own, but if you sum up all of the little countries together, the ones that want to blow us up, that is, and you have a situation worse than the cold war. I'm not worried either, but it's still ├╝ber-ghey.