A lefty PRS clone

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Necromagnon, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Necromagnon

Necromagnon SS.org Regular

Hi everyone,

Some might have seen some pictures of this one on the thread about the building of my 8 string called "Nephilim", but I'm doing a dedicated thread for this lefty PRS. It will be easier to follow.

So, I'm building this PRS like for my old buddy, we know each other for more than 20 years now, and I'm doing it as a birthday present. Or christmas. Or I don't know, I'll see when it will be finished.

The spec are very basic:
    quilted maple top
    mahogany body
    1 piece mahogany neck
    Rosewood headplate and fingerboard
    Flying bird inlay
    Hipshot locking tuners
    Hipshot trem with piezos (graphtech)
    Graphtech ghost preamp
    PRS Dragon II pups
    Chrome hardware

I still don't know which finish I'll do on this one, I'll see it when I'll be close to completion.

So, some pics now:
    Hardware in place above the plan:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And after a couple of months (around 24, roughly):
    A view of the back:
    [​IMG]

The carve (very) roughly started with the router:
    [​IMG]

And finally, where it is today:
    Carve a bit more advanced, but still left tons of work on it, and inlay cut that now needs it routes on the fingerboard
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That feels damn cool to work again on those builds. I hope this one will be ready for finish before end of August (that should be, there's not so many things that left).

See you on some other threads! :cheers:

rcsierra13 and BlackMastodon like this.
  2. tommychains

tommychains That Guy

all good things take time :agreed:

have you thought about maybe something with a lot of flake?

3. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

4. tommychains

tommychains That Guy

^trans black with gold flake in the clear. :yesway:

5. AwDeOh

AwDeOh SS.org Regular

Looking good! You were getting delayed a lot by the weather and not having constant workshop access, is that right?

6. Necromagnon

Yup. But this one is a running for a fairly long time, so it will be really really good. :lol:

Not yet, but that's an idea.
    My only concern is about finding a finish my buddy likes, without asking him directly to prevent any suspicion... :scratch:

If you look weel, you'll see one of the mistake: I roughly cut the shape before gluing top and body together... forgetting that it was a lefty... :wallbash:
    So I had to flip it to have the correct orientation, but the bookmath is on the glue joint... And if it wasn't enough, I do the same mistake on the back...

Delayed by tons of stuff: wood taking time to arrive, weather, no access to my parent's garage except on week end, week-ends that was fairly busy with repetition with my bands and several shows, etc...
    But I have the whole month free (almost), so I'll spend as much time as I can on the builds.

Thanks all. :cheers:

7. sandalhat

sandalhat SS.org Regular

Looking nice so far! I'm curious about the bird inlays you have - did you buy them or make them yourself? I made a PRS-style build not too long ago, shown on the guitars built by SS members. In mine, I just traced the birds from one of my PRS guitars and cut them by hand with one of those little inlay hand saws. Just curious to see what you did in case I want to make another similar build, there might be a better/easier way.

8. Necromagnon

I did it all from scratch. I tried to find premade inlay birds because I didn't want to bother with it, but it was easier ugly or almost as expensive as directly buying a whole PRS guitars so...
    And finally, it turns out pretty good. Not perfect still, but I get better at it. :)

9. sandalhat

sandalhat SS.org Regular

In the end, I like the fact that my birds aren't perfect. I'm pretty proud of them, but they couldn't stand up next to a CNC cut production PRS. If you take a look at the very early PRS guitars with birds though, you'll see some wonky looking birds. You'll also probably see a large amount of filler used due to sloppy inlay routing. And if you look at Paul's very first guitars with birds, they aren't quite the same exact design they settled on for the production guitars.

Your build is looking great, can't wait to see it finished. I'm especially excited to see what you do with the top!

10. Necromagnon

Hi folks!

Sorry for the lack of info, but I took pics and was always too lazy to resize/upload/post those. So I'll cover the lack and give you a big update:

One pic of the carving process, all don by hand:
    [​IMG]

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand done:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Figured maple is really a pain to work with. I got a lot of tear off, and needed to do a lot of regluing, but fortunately, it's not to horrible...

I also continue on the fretboard, with inlay and side dots. Nothing amazing here:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the technic I used to glue the fingerboard, work pretty well:
    1st: cut some small blocks (5 is good), and remove the bottom corner to remove disturbance caused by a wrong square angle between bottom face and support face
    [​IMG]

2nd: place and clamp your fb in place
    [​IMG]

3rd: glue the blocks on the neck with strong glue
    [​IMG]

You can now remove and replace your fretboard perfectly on the neck. Perfect for checking and gluing.

And now, I finally need your opinion on the truss rod cover. I have 2 different covers, in terms of shape and wood, and I like both... I can't de(i)cide ( :hbang:) which one to use...

Long maple version:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Short rosewood version:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. AwDeOh

AwDeOh SS.org Regular

I'd say go with maple for the truss rod cover Necro, but shorten it to the exact size/shape you've made the rosewood one out of. The contrast is subtle, but it compliments the rosewood well.

Cool trick with the fretboard too, can't wait to see how the neck and volute carve turns out.

12. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

I like the maple one as it currently is.

13. Necromagnon

Thanks for the input guys. I really like the maple one also. On this one, it's not easy to see, but it's 3 ply: maple/wenge/maple
    I think I'll try a new one with a left over of the top to have some figure on it, and in one piece, the size of the rosewood one, to see which size fits better with maple.

14. sandalhat

sandalhat SS.org Regular

I used a rosewood TRC on mine, but I actually like the maple one you've made a lot better! That top is looking awesome too. :D

15. iron blast

iron blast Northern Winds

looks sexxy I'll be watching this one

16. texshred777

texshred777 SS.org Regular

I too dig the rosewood TRC. Maple is nice too, a little contrast but that rosewood.

17. Necromagnon

I've work on that one, she's very close to completion. I need to take and post pics, but I did the Awde idea and it's very nice, I think I'll go with that: smaller size TRC, in quilted maple. It slims a bit that headstock (that is not the correct proportion I think), and contrast well, with the recall of the quilted maple top.

I also carved the neck and adjust the junction between neck and body so that now it fits pretty tightly. I need also to finish the fret ends but it's too boring...

I'll post some pics soon, I need to present the two new girls that entered the workshop. :agreed:

18. Necromagnon

Just a few pics of the guitar with the hardware vaguely put in place, to give an idea. I'll make some pics of the neck carve this week end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see another error: I've carve the lower horn chamfer without checking where does the pup ring stop... And obviously, it stops too far... :wallbash:
    I'll probably go without pup rings, or I don't know what. There's also this top joint that is horrible, and I need to repair. That always happens when rushing... :noplease:

19. Necromagnon

Sooooooooooooooooo

After a long wait, a little update with almost nothing but anyway. I've spend my whole morning and a part of this afternoon sanding the body: sides to remove the mark of the bearing left by the copying bit and burning marks, carving , and a few stuff here and there.

1st of all, the beer-belly chamfer (kinda small because my buddy is very slim):
    [​IMG]

I don't have picture of the side sanded, but there's nothing amazing to see.
    For the next part, I need some input: the lower horn chamfer goes a bit to deep, and the pup ring ends upon it as you can see:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the question is: do I try to modify it a bit to suit the chamfer? Do I redo some in plastic or wood? Or do I leave it without pups rings (the routes are quite clean, but a bit to big compared to the pups, specially around the "hears")?

20. MoshJosh

MoshJosh SS.org Regular

It would be super cool if you could modify the pickup ring to fit that contoured part perfectly either by adding plastic under the ring on that corner or by making the ring bend to fit the wood. Not sure how you could do it other than making a pickup ring from scratch but yeah