A good amp to get close

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by soldierkahn, Sep 13, 2018.

1. soldierkahn

soldierkahn BAD MAMMA-JAMMA Contributor

As I've finally got the instrument finally dialed in to everything I want (DCM100) , I now venture into an area I have little knowledge of.... amps. 99% of the amps I've played, I've bought with a 6 string in mind, but now with my 7, I want to get one best suited for low frequencies. Only added issue is that the amp couldn't be any bigger than a 2x12, as my neighbors have sensitive 911 dialing fingers. Hell the little line6 spider 3 1x12 is enough to rattle the windows.

The tone that Im trying to at least get close to would be the dirty guitars in Ra - Fallen Rock Zone .

As far as I know our guitars are the same tonewoods so I should be able to get close, but Im not sure which route to look down. Initially i was looking at Mark 4s and 5s, but that was before i picked up a 7, so I wanted to see what you all would recommend? I have no personal favs so pretty open mind. And so far the only amps ive played through were either 1x12 combos or head/4x12 cab, so ive no real experience in the in-between realms. I know i cant get a mesa Dual Rec with a mesa 4x12 cab and play at a low volume because the tone would blow dogs for quarters and id burn the head out. So im reaching out for advice as I dont know where to start lol. The only equipment I currently have in my signal chain is a Morley Tremonti wah and an ISP Decimator pedal..... rather simple setup.

2. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

What tuning are you planning on using?I don’t typically tune any of my 7s below A, but I’ve never felt any of my amps are more geared toward 6 or 7 strings. You can get a dual rectifier or mark IV or whatever you want really. Just grab a 2x12 to go with it and play

3. NateFalcon

NateFalcon If you’re lying...I’ll be back

Most amps with good low end will handle 7’s no problem, although if you’re looking for something specifically suited for low and drop tunings you could look into something like a Hughes and Kettner Coreblade or Verellen Meatsmoke...there’s a lot of good, small multiwatt amps though, maybe a Mesa mini-rec...?

4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

If you want clarity, you need headroom. Headroom comes with wattage. Get something 100w and a 212 cab.

OliOliver, Kyle Jordan and laxu like this.
  5. soldierkahn

The tuning that I use 99% of the time is B standard, I rarely do drop A. The lowest I have ever gone is A standard, but I don't tend to stay in that tuning very long unless I'm on a Fear Factory/Korn binge. Another band that I think has a great 7string tone is Lacuna Coil, with i think the majority in b standard. Trapt is another one e in Bstandard that I like tone wise. Would love to emulate five finger death punch but they tend to use detuned 6s in b standard.

6. soldierkahn

Do you know what head to go for that won't overheat at medium volume through a 2x12 but still be able to achieve a really great dirty tone? Or would adding a tube screamer type pedal in front of the amp help it sound better at lower volumes?

7. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

5150, Marshall DSL (can't speak to the new H line) come to mind.

If you want a fiery combo, look for a Fender supersonic 22.

8. DudeManBrother

Almost everything now adays works pretty well at low volume. I sometimes use my 10 band EQ,which has an input and out volume, to drop the sound level. That allows me to turn the amp up a few notches more. You can get specific attenuators as well.

The amp won’t overheat if you play it at low volume so don’t worry about that kind of stuff. Getting a boost pedal is nice to have always. A lot of newer amps have half power or multi watt switches so you can run them at lower power if you wanted to.

Listen to sound clips and find your favorite amp. I listened to that clip you posted of Ra: it sounds like studio polished/eq’d Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier to my ears. Grab a noise gate, boost, and EQ pedal to start. You’ll be good to go for a long time.

soldierkahn and The906 like this.
  9. soldierkahn

Thank you so much for that, that was exactly what I was looking for! Answered all my questions in one shot lol.

DudeManBrother likes this.
  10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

If you're not married to the idea of using a cab, grab a two notes captor/good IRs and your amp of choice (a dual recto or mkiv would do the kind of sound you're looking for pretty easily). Then you can get the cranked sound without bugging your neighbors/family members/neighbors. That's what I do currently. Plus it works as an attenuator if you want to run through a cab.

11. soldierkahn

YOU are awesome sir! Thank you. :D

12. soldierkahn

Would the PRS MT-15 with a 2x12 work as well? That seems pretty affordable, big sounding rectifier but I'm not sure how well it'll handle 7s because I can't find any reviews with someone using a 7 with one.

13. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Anything that can't handle a 7 without a boost CAN handle one with a boost.

soldierkahn likes this.
  14. DudeManBrother

The MT15 works just fine with 7 strings. It a touch brighter and thinner than the Archon, and the Archon is massive sounding with 7’s, so it definitely won’t flub out on the low end. That’s a great choice

soldierkahn likes this.
  15. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Tone reminds me of DT's Awake. Which was a mix of Rackto and Mark IIC+. The Ra tone sounds a bit fizzier and scooped, which is in line with a later revision of the Rectos.

soldierkahn likes this.
  16. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

God the Awake 7 string tone is SO great.

soldierkahn likes this.
  17. soldierkahn

Hmmm, I looked at the Archon 50W/25W head and it looks reasonably priced as well. If I were going for the one that saturates well and handles low frequencies the best, which one would you recommend. I wouldnt mind saving up a little longer if the Archon with a 2X12 would sound considerably better for low tunings/7 string tunings than the MT15. I was mainly tossing that amp in there because of the sensitive neighbor issue, but it looks like the Archon can be set to 25W and still sound great.

Im just still so naive with amps that its hard to decide when you cant play them in person. What I am going to at least try to do is when my DCM gets here, stop by a local guitar center or something and try out some amps heads there, so that Im doing my part on looking around too.

18. axxessdenied

axxessdenied :: 2077 ::

the amp is kind of one of the less important aspects of how good your guitar will sound. I'm sure people will disagree. the drum sound, the bass sound and your playing are going to play a bigger factor than your actual amp. heck even the cab and mic are more important overall. The massive low end you hear in the "guitar" there is actually going to be all bass. if you muted the bass you'd probably be surprised how the guitars sound solo'd. lol

19. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

yeah, if you're talking in terms of a mix. If you're talking in terms of being in the room, then it goes speakers/cab>>>amp>>>>pickups>>>guitar.

20. odibrom

odibrom .

Fingers are the MOST important element in one's tone... you know, to dial things to taste...:D...