"A Dying Breed" -- New track FFO atmospheric black metal

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by KailM, Aug 3, 2018.

1. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Greetings -- I began this a couple months ago with the intention of doing just a demo of my new EVH 5150 II 50-watt head, but it quickly snowballed into a full song that I'm pretty proud of. I plan to ruin the mix with some razor-blade-gargling vocals at some point, but for now I need to table this song for a while and finish my full album that is 95% finished. :lol: (I got sidetracked with this one, haha.) This song was challenging, as I've been exploring harmonies and contrapuntal motion in my writing. Hopefully you can hear all the layers. If I ever try to pull this off live I'm going to need two other guitarists. I'm pretty happy with the mix, but of course I'm open to suggestions.

There are a couple things I need to fix; namely some artifacts in the reverb during the clean interlude section in the middle -- the compression is doing some weird things to the reverb plugin I used there.

Anyhow, here it is: https://soundcloud.com/kailm-1/blood-of-deliverance-a-dying-breed

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  2. shredder3386

shredder3386 SS.org Regular

Sounds good dude, just ordered the 5150 50w as well. Glad to see it can sound so crushing haha

3. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Thanks man! You won't be disappointed with your EVH, it kind of does it all. I should add that I didn't have it cranked all that loud when tracking this song. Just enough to get the speakers moving. It sounds amazing at lower volumes.

shredder3386 likes this.
  4. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

Cool tune, I like where the song is going. Overall it's pretty good.

I'm not a pro and still learning myself, but if you don't mind some constructive crit.

I find that the mix is a little too loud. It seems like rather than carve space with eq, you just bumped volumes up to try to make things fit. I hear some low end buildup and feel some high passing in places would really benefit. It would really make your kick stand out and punch you in the jaw. Don't be afraid to pass your reverb's and comps as they will accent some of that low end and push it forward.

I would also re amp or re-record the guitars with lower gain on your amp if your quad tracking. I think it would clear a lot of things up and pop more, while maintaining your brutality.

I say keep it up, you're on the right track for sure.

5. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Thanks for the feedback man! Yeah, I didn't really do much with EQ at all. Rhythm guitars are high passed at 110 hz and low passed at around 10khz, with a VERY mild bump at around 2khz. Bass is high passed at around 70hz if I remember right, and low passed the clean bass at around 300hz, with another track of grittier bass from 300hz to about 2khz. Kick drum is the lowest frequency in the mix.

I don't know if I'll mess with it too much until I get the vocals done, as that will change everything, quite likely. I am tempted to track some of the parts with my 6505 as it gets an even gnarlier tone. ;)

6. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

If someone could listen to a part of this song for me ( :50 -1:08), I'd really appreciate a second opinion. A guy on another site said the leads in that part are off key and off-time in a few places. For the life of me, I can't hear that. Tell me I'm not crazy, haha. Here's the link:

https://soundcloud.com/kailm-1/blood-of-deliverance-a-dying-breed

I appreciate your time.