a company to implant microchips in employees

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by M3CHK1LLA, Jul 24, 2017.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

A convenient one, where if we forgot our wallets, we can pay for things with our hands.

We're blowing this way out of proportion. It's just an RFID implant which is FAR from being anything new. This makes you no more a slave than any other piece of ID that people have carried around since always. If you're really paranoid about being able to be identified and tracked, I recommend staying away from any computers.

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

but its still a freedom to choose to do certain things with paper forms of ID. For example I choose to not carry my passport around with me.
    how do you have freedom if it cannot leave your body and is there with you 100% of the time?

for what its worth Im on board with things like Mobile Phone paying for things and contactless card payments etc. But beyond that, its steps too far imo.

3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

:shrug: I would not opt in.

I don't think this is nearly as big a deal as people are making it out to be, but I think I see where the concern comes from. It starts with it being optional, then, years later, everyone is doing it out of the sake of convenience. A few more years pass and then there are not other, more anonymous options, so you basically have to do it.

The only flaw is that I don't see most people becoming comfortable with this in the near future, so I don't think it will go that route, at least until I'm dead and gone.

lewis likes this.
  4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

You chose not to carry it around because it has no utility, not because it's a restriction on your freedom or privacy. If anything, not having it is MORE of a restriction, since you need it to travel to some places, which is something you can't do at all without it. Having an ID on you doesn't make you a slave. What it does make you is accountable.

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

my thoughts are echoed above

these things start out as optional, then before we know it our freedom to opt in is gone and we have to.
    We werent born to be slaves into some stupid digital system. I would never want this done and neither would millions of millions of people.

The fact its even a thing is stupid af.
    Anyway lets agree to disagree.

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Gonna have to on this one. :yesway:

On the other hand, maybe I just welcome our new technological overlords.

lewis likes this.
  7. bpprox22

bpprox22 String Breaker

Here you go:

8. Ebony

Ebony Mr Sunshine

Haha, this reminds me that the first thing I did when I got my newest laptop was taping over the webcam.
    At least then they can't see my face when they go thru my email, browsing history, receipts, bank transcriptions, stored photos, personal documents and original music files...

Seriously though, it doesn't really matter how I feel about this.
    Soon enough, just like vaccination, passports, 10-year mandatory schooling, civil reg numbers, DNA-databases and +35% tax rates, being chipped and tracked like farm animals is gonna be just another normalized ritual that no-one bats an eye about.

As soon as the surveillance-technology gets there it will be methodically and inevitably forced down our throats.

9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

i watched this last month at home.
    Thought it was utterly utterly terrible. The premise seemed intriguing but the execution was woeful. At the very least I expected it to have the vibe of Hostel pt 1 but with more psychology.
    Disappointing.

10. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

I must be too 'commie', but I don't trust companies and their 'optional choices' for the workers.
    This chip isn't a big deal for what they can do/track with them but it is the first step. That is obvious. I work in the IT world as software engineer doing statistical software for advertisement campaigns and it is scary the amount of data it is being tracked, stored and sold ...

M3CHK1LLA and watson503 like this.
  11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Legit question: How often is this a real concern? Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware that it's possible for a compromised machine to access a webcam, but I don't think we have any real data about how often this happens. The other trick is that it can only really happen on a compromised machine in the first place- you have to have some kind of malware installed on your machine, which- lets not kid ourselves- usually comes from bad security practices in the first place (things like going to those pirated stream-whatever-tv-shows-you-want sites for example).

THIS on the other hand... yeah, pretty much everything you do online is tracked in some way, which is what I meant about avoiding computers if you don't like being tracked. Even if you don't sign into anything, ever, you're still sort of 'fingerprinted' via your access locations, certain patterns, etc., so there can still be a profile built around that.

12. bpprox22

bpprox22 String Breaker

I couldn't agree more

lewis likes this.
  13. bostjan

Several office supply outlets have, in the past, found malware installed on brand new computers.

14. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

^ A part of me wants to say that this again falls into bad security practices on the end-users part, since I would never buy a new computer and just run with whatever is pre-installed on it. But I'm also not the average not-very-tech-savvy consumer who is likely to assume a brand new computer is "safe" by default.

15. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

this is truly scary...

16. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

I think Brave New World will be more like it

17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

how long before we can do this to our partners to make sure they are always staying faithful...

18. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

How would that work exactly? RFID is *not* GPS. Someone would have to scan them in to know that they were somewhere they weren't supposed to be. If anything, the "find my iPhone", and other mobile phone features that we already have would be more of a concern, and people have been walking around with that for years now.

19. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I just can't wait 'til the future when I get a letter (message beamed-into my mind, maybe) from my bank saying, "We have received notification that your account information may have been compromised. Please come to one of our many conveniently-located branches and to have your implantable replaced."

bostjan likes this.
  20. bostjan

This post wins on so many levels!

Did anyone bring up yet, that the location of this implant is perhaps the most tender place on the hand? Why not place the implant in the back of the wrist or between the wrist and the thumb? I guess in case it gets bumped? But, with it between the thumb and index finger, in that soft, fleshy area, how would you lift weights, play guitar, or carry a heavy-ish object without it being very uncomfortable?

Demiurge likes this.