A Closed thread should be closed in every aspect

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Mike, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Mike

Mike The Traveler Contributor

I'm making this suggestion mostly with classified threads in mind but it can apply to any thread. When a thread is closed for whatever reason, I think all communication methods directly from the thread should no longer work. This includes private messaging, rep, and reporting.

If a thread's closed, it should mean just that. No more possible activity related to the thread. A good example is when I sell stuff. I always use the report button to let the mods know the item is gone and to please close my thread. The mods always quickly oblige and close my thread. That doesn't matter though apparently because people overlook the fact that it's closed and will still send me PM's saying they want to buy my item. If the ability to communicate was removed from the closed thread, maybe people would get the hint. (Sorry if it sounds like I'm venting, but this has happened with my last few for sale items.) Now if you absolutely need to get a hold of someone because you had a question about their post, it's not that hard to look up a member here, go to their profile and message them that way.

I also believe if a thread is closed, a mod has already looked at it for whatever reason and has deemed it worthy of being closed, so what's the need for reporting it anymore if it has been under some form of moderator scrutiny?

A lot of people probably won't agree with the rep portion, but I think it kind of goes along with burying the hatchet. If a thread is closed say because of an argument, disagreement, trolling, etc. then it should be done and over with there. No need for people weeks down the road who were't even part of the initial thread to go back, see what someone said and disagree, then neg rep them (Or positive rep the snarky smart ass with witty rebuttals).

Ideally if this were to actually be implemented, it would look something like this:

[​IMG]

2. MFB

MFB ExBendable

What's to stop someone from leaving the FS ad then just going to your member profile and PMing you that way? I understand the point of it, as I've dealt with it as well, but if there's a will there's a way IMO

3. asher

asher So Did We

I don't think this is inside the realm of possibility given how the board software operates.

4. Mike

Well my hopes are that if people know that the change is made then they'll know they missed their opportunity. If you can't communicate about any aspect of a thread then basically tough crap. You were a day late and a dime short. Will people try as you imply? Yes more than likely, but it'll certainly cut down on the instances if you remove the ability.

5. Mike

You're probably right as I don't know how much of the forum is a canned software template and how much the admin actually can go in and tweak with scripting, but still just a suggestion.

6. ferret

ferret Not worthy

It's possible within vBulletin's plugin framework. Might even be possible in the template system, without needing a plugin.

7. Hertz32

Hertz32 SS.org Regular

Just edit the description to have SOLD in the title and description in big colourful letters

8. btbg

btbg SS.org Regular

Yeah.. doesn't work that way.