90s Ibby NGD / PUP Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by ToneLab, Jun 14, 2018 at 3:28 PM.

1. ToneLab

ToneLab Bedroom Playa

This is a special one for me. I bought a 93 Ibby S540JM new in 93 and it was my exclusive guitar until 2012. I wasn't playing much in that time but it was in mint condition. As I got back into playing guitar again in 2012 I went on a tear of buying and selling guitars, trying new things and always hunting "for the one". As I started buying guitars I quickly sold the S540, assuming it just couldn't stand up to new guitars. I came to deeply regret that decision. Ever since I have had my eye out for that guitar but every one I came across was too beat up for me. I finally found this one this week. The OL version. 93 as well. Great condition for its age or any age. Really pleased with this find!

I want to upgrade the pups and need a recommendation. I'm a Dimarzio fan and my favorite is D'Activator/Liquifire in a basswood RG. I'm hit or miss on matching Mahogany though. This guitar is for 80s to current neo and shred. Focus is solely on expressive/dynamic/fluid lead tone. Please let me know your thoughts for bridge/middle/neck. Thank you!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Robotechnology

Robotechnology SS.org Regular

I think the Air Norton/Tone Zone would do nicely for lead tones. That’s what I have in most of my Ibanez models.

3. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

If you want Dimarzios, LEAVE THE PUPS IN. The IBZ USAs are dimarzios and voiced slightly differently than standard dimarzios.

4. Ludgate

Ludgate SS.org Regular

Congrats! I'm always on the lookout for one that hasn't been beat to death as well. I concur with Matias, the F series pickups are great, pretty bright sounding to my ears and a good complement to the mahogany body.

MatiasTolkki likes this.
  5. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

I really like the F series pups, especially the F2 and F4. They are unique and totally different than any of the other Dimarzio pups out there.

I had OG IBZ USA pups (pre-F series) in my 88 750 (I sold it so I could get a Charvel CRR-068, which is far rarer). They were VERY different than even the F series and while I like them, I didnt have a guitar to move them to :/

6. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Blackest of the Black Metal

Congrats and HNGD!!

I would but Black Winters in it.

The906 likes this.
  7. khm

khm SS.org Regular

I Love the Crunch Lab and Liqui fire combo, I also have Tonezone and Airnorton combo in a few guitars, I also like the Mojo and Fred. Might be worth hitting DiMarzio up with your guitar spec and ask for a few suggestions, they have always been really good at getting back to me!

And happy NGD!!