90s Ibby NGD / PUP Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by ToneLab, Jun 14, 2018.

1. ToneLab

ToneLab Bedroom Playa

This is a special one for me. I bought a 93 Ibby S540JM new in 93 and it was my exclusive guitar until 2012. I wasn't playing much in that time but it was in mint condition. As I got back into playing guitar again in 2012 I went on a tear of buying and selling guitars, trying new things and always hunting "for the one". As I started buying guitars I quickly sold the S540, assuming it just couldn't stand up to new guitars. I came to deeply regret that decision. Ever since I have had my eye out for that guitar but every one I came across was too beat up for me. I finally found this one this week. The OL version. 93 as well. Great condition for its age or any age. Really pleased with this find!

I want to upgrade the pups and need a recommendation. I'm a Dimarzio fan and my favorite is D'Activator/Liquifire in a basswood RG. I'm hit or miss on matching Mahogany though. This guitar is for 80s to current neo and shred. Focus is solely on expressive/dynamic/fluid lead tone. Please let me know your thoughts for bridge/middle/neck. Thank you!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

vilk, slayer6699, Ludgate and 3 others like this.
  2. Robotechnology

Robotechnology SS.org Regular

I think the Air Norton/Tone Zone would do nicely for lead tones. That’s what I have in most of my Ibanez models.

3. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

If you want Dimarzios, LEAVE THE PUPS IN. The IBZ USAs are dimarzios and voiced slightly differently than standard dimarzios.

4. Ludgate

Ludgate SS.org Regular

Congrats! I'm always on the lookout for one that hasn't been beat to death as well. I concur with Matias, the F series pickups are great, pretty bright sounding to my ears and a good complement to the mahogany body.

MatiasTolkki likes this.
  5. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

I really like the F series pups, especially the F2 and F4. They are unique and totally different than any of the other Dimarzio pups out there.

I had OG IBZ USA pups (pre-F series) in my 88 750 (I sold it so I could get a Charvel CRR-068, which is far rarer). They were VERY different than even the F series and while I like them, I didnt have a guitar to move them to :/

6. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred PRS Guitar Addict

Congrats and HNGD!!

I would but Black Winters in it.

The906 likes this.
  7. khm

khm SS.org Regular

I Love the Crunch Lab and Liqui fire combo, I also have Tonezone and Airnorton combo in a few guitars, I also like the Mojo and Fred. Might be worth hitting DiMarzio up with your guitar spec and ask for a few suggestions, they have always been really good at getting back to me!

And happy NGD!!

8. ToneLab

ToneLab Bedroom Playa

Thanks everyone. Below is what DiMarzio said (really love how responsive they are). I am leaning towards Gravity Storms. Do you guys have advice on the middle pup comments? I've never had my tech rewire a guitar but I'm very intrigued because I want to use the 2/4 positions but I always find them weak and just inferior to the even numbered positions.

an F-spaced Transition bridge model (DP255F) and an F-spaced Titan neck model (DP258F) might be best in terms of getting closes to the RG. In terms of something different, the Gravity Storm neck and bridge models might be interesting. They weren’t intended for an S-series guitar, but should match up well with the sound you described.

Then I asked regarding the middle pup: Considering the type of sound you described, do you want to maintain the current coil-splits in positions 2 and 4? If so, a reverse-polarity Red Velvet (DP174S) might be good (see first attached diagram). If not, you might consider a humcancelling pickup in the middle. An Injector neck model (DP422) might be a good choice. This calls for altering the wiring a little, and will produce hum cancellation in all 5 positions as well as less volume –drop in the 2 & 4 positions.

9. possumkiller

possumkiller Goose stepping in front of a mirror

81/B SA/M 85/N

10. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Get a Di Marzio Super Distortion, it will do your "80es to shred" thing and cream ones will look good on yoru guitar as a bonus.

11. jl-austin

jl-austin SS.org Regular

Keep it stock, those F series pickups are pretty good.

MatiasTolkki likes this.
  12. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

If you're interested in Duncans, I feel like a JB in a mahogany guitar would be a great way to go!

13. Sephiroth952

Sephiroth952 Ibby Fanboy

I have that exact same model and year! Don't even change the pick-ups the stock ones are fantastic!

MatiasTolkki likes this.
  14. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

I think the OL has the maple neck and fretboard?

For me my stock S540 was overly bright. I put a tone zone in the bridge and it was perfect.

15. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Great find! As I'm sure you recently realized (until you finally found this guitar), maple fretboard sabres are pretty tough to come by!