(8string) Fret Buzz on specific frets on 7th string

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by AxiomXIII, Sep 29, 2017.

1. AxiomXIII

AxiomXIII SS.org Regular

Im having String Buzz on the 4th and 5th Fret on my 8string. On the 8th Fret it sounds Like the string is slightly rattling on the Fret too.
    I use a .64 for Low A on the 7th String 27" scale.
    On the 8th String there some Buzz too but thats because the String is only a .80 on Low E so its little looser.
    I already raised the String Action to 2.75~mm but the problem still kinda persists. 5th and 4th still buzzing when picking a Bit Harder, Same with the 8th. Chords and notes still Ring Out but its noticeable sometimes more sometimes less especially on the 8 when picking it alone
    How can I fix it? Thought about adding some relief with the truss rod but how do I do it without fucking Up the neck?
    Any other suggestions?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  2. MikeNeal

MikeNeal SS.org Regular

Does the buzz come through the amp?

I usually find my 7th and 8th strings buzz a bit acoustically, but sound totally fine plugged in

3. AxiomXIII

AxiomXIII SS.org Regular

When playing chords its Not noticeable but when letting Them Ring alone its hearable Like 70% of the time but Not playing Them quick after another. Only when letting Them sustain theres a Buzz that kills a Bit of the Tone if that makes sense

4. KR250

KR250 SS.org Regular

Might be worth a trip to a local guitar tech. Are all strings buzzing around the same fret, or just the E1? If it's all, that may require truss rod adjustment or could be a high fret that needs to be taken down a hair. Does it still buzz if you fret the string at the first fret? If not, then it could also be a nut carved too low if buzzing is only on open notes.

AxiomXIII and Mr_Mar10 like this.
  5. AxiomXIII

AxiomXIII SS.org Regular

It's only the 7th String thats buzzing so that it becomes noticeable. The strings have a slight to none buzz that isnt really hearable through an amp

6. KR250

KR250 SS.org Regular

How is the action on the 7th string? I use a .64 on my 27' scale tuned to drop A as well. Tried a 66 but got more fret buzz due to the size I think. On the .64 I keep action right around .025 - .030" at the first fret, and around .075" at the 12th and have almost no fret buzz with not much relief in the neck. Do you have a way to measure action from top of fret to bottom of string? If so, you can see where the nut height is for the 7th string, or also try raising action at the bridge if necessary. Also, run up every fret on the 7th string and note which places it buzzes, or where it doesn't. That could help pinpoint the issue.

7. AxiomXIII

AxiomXIII SS.org Regular

I checked the action heights.
    On the first fret it like 0.015" and at the 12th fret around 0.082" so that cant be right?
    The most buzz is on the 4th and the 8th but the frets between all have a little buzz that isnt that noticeable but its there. Maybe the nut on the 7th is too deep?

8. KR250

KR250 SS.org Regular

Definitely what it looks like. For me, I would think .015 is too low for a .064 gauge string and causing your fret buzz. That range is about where I would set my high strings. You could raise the nut then re-cut, get a new nut, or try something like epoxy/superglue to raise just that one string (not the right way to do it, but maybe worth a test first).

AxiomXIII likes this.
  9. AxiomXIII

AxiomXIII SS.org Regular

Yep I'll try that but that wont fix the buzz on the 4th, 8th Fret etc right?

10. KR250

KR250 SS.org Regular

It might, guessing those two frets are slightly tall and the low action at the nut might be contributing to that buzz. Give it a shot and see if that helps.

AxiomXIII likes this.