80s Metal Fans turned out fine as adults and better than peers, study says

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Explorer, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I remember my aunt talking trash about rock music, evolution, and other things which went against her view of the world, but she wasn't the only one who thought metal was the highway to hell.

A new study claims that 1980s metal fans not only grew up fine, but are doing better than their peers.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/15298868.2015.1036918#abstract

What I really like about the article is the quote from the poetry of Baudelaire, noting that it wouldn't be out of place as metal lyrics.

On the pillow of evil is that Thrice-Great Devil Trismegistus
    Who lulls our hypnotized spirit;
    And the rich metal of our Will
    Is vaporized utterly by this savvy alchemist.
    It is the Devil who holds the strings by which we're moved:
    In revolting objects we find charm.
    (Les Fleurs du Mal [Flowers of Evil], p. 3. Translated by Howard Friedman)

The study claims that compared to their non-metal peers, metal musicians and fans grew up to have greater happiness and satisfaction with life, and score high in identity development. They also score high in community building as adults.

This wouldn't surprise me if true.

Rock and roll and its children have often been at the core of a permanent revolution which has torn down prejudices from past generations, and metal has been the outsider even in that family, even as other forms of rock have been much more mainstream. It's no surprise that the outsider kids who saw each other's T-shirts and were able to talk about great music went on to build communities.

You folks rock.:kiss:

:bowdown::shred::wub:

BTW, a big shout out after the fact about the positives of throwing out conformity, especially the bigoted views of the mainstream.

As RATM stated so eloquently when asked to enforce cultural norms...

FVCK YOU! i WON'T DO WHATCHA TOLD ME!

And, to all the younger metal fans who might currently get hassled, it does get better, so keep fighting the good fight! :scream:

Surveyor 777 and TheHandOfStone like this.
  2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I like that on Criminal Minds they very often show the serial killers being metalheads.

EDIT:... I wonder what kind of music serial killers listen to...

3. naw38

naw38 SS.org Regular

I only know one person that grew up listening to metal in the 80's, and he's a homophobic scientologist with absolutely no people skills.

He does own his own business though, so what the .... do i know.

EDIT: The fact that I only know one person who grew up listening to metal back then says nothing about the number of people who did so and everything my own lack of social skills. At least I'm not an arsehole about it though.

4. Fraz666

Fraz666 SS.org Regular

Probably they have not studied me :lol:

5. thraxil

thraxil cylon

6. Force

Force Jackson Addict

The ones that turned out fine are the ones that didn't die of a drug overdose or of STD's.

As they say, if you remember the 80's, you were doing it wrong.

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

My question is where did they find 21 professional metal musicians who sold
    :lol:

8. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Really? Just using Black Sabbath, Metallica, Def Leppard and AC/DC as your pool gets you to more than 21 metal musicians in the "millions of albums sold" category alone.

Judas Priest? Iron Maiden? Slayer?

I'm surprised you've never heard of those bands.

Even if those seven bands were only power trios, that would be 7 bands x 3 members = 21 multimillion-album-selling professional metal musicians.

Oh, well... no one said all metal fans were either capable of simple research or even of basic math....:lol:

9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I was under the impression that those 21 people were part of the random people they found on Facebook, since I didn't see it mentioned anywhere that they reached out to known established bands. I wasn't saying there aren't 21 successful musicians, but that it was unlikely you'd find that many in a random sampling of ~300 people from facebook.

Also, obvious joke was obvious.

10. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I hate it when people call AC/DC metal. They're like THE definition of butt rock. And if you don't think calling bands butt-rock/walmart-rock is funny, I still have no idea how you could call them metal--other than people from a long time ago that used to call Led Zeppelin, ZZ Top, basically any music with guitar distortion metal.

11. BucketheadRules

BucketheadRules Fuzz pedal hoarder

I don't know why I find this amusing :lol:

12. estabon37

estabon37 Melodica Attack!

Being that AC/DC pretty much self-identify as a rock band, and all three of those bands lean pretty heavily on blues conventions, it's hard to label any of them 'metal'.

At the same time, Black Sabbath leant pretty heavily on blues conventions in some songs, and whether or not their sound can be thought of as any 'heavier' than AC/DC is kind of subjective. So, maybe self-identification (which I guess leads into marketing and 'image') is the defining factor.

Pantera and Alice in Chains both infamously started out as glam / hair metal bands (though AiC started out as Alice N' Chains, and none of the instrumentalists from the grunge version of the band were members, so it's a tenuous connection), and then underwent dramatic changes in how their music sounded, the focus of their lyics, and the way they portrayed themselves publicly. So, it's not just about self-identification; it's about self-determination. Metal and hard rock were not the necessarily the defining sounds of the 1980s, but they came to heavily influence the defining sounds of the early-to-mid 1990s, the late 1990s to a lesser extent (though nu-metal was a thing), and now we have so many genres and sub-genres that are so intricately interconnected that to be a metal enthusiast on any level tends to mean putting some effort into exploring all of the genres and their histories.

Maybe all of this had an effect on the early fans. Maybe the 'make yourself' philosophy and aesthetic was just as appealing as the music itself. The book that Explorer linked at the start of the thread is about identity, and much of the abstract seems to focus on the social elements more than the musical elements. Maybe people mis-identifying or mis-labelling a band's style is part of the process of separating the bands that worked hard to establish and define themselves independently from those that sought to capitalise on whatever was popular at the time.

Holy shit. I think I just proved once and for all that I can over-think anything. Sorry y'all.

13. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

I was always told Led Zeppelin and Sabbath were metal because of their musical themes more so than the heaviness, or lack thereof, in their music. Singing about Gods, dragons, giants, monsters, etc. which sharply contrasts sex and drugs for rock music and love/relationships that made up pop music and R&B.

Zeppelin crossed a lot of territory in that regard...

14. 777timesgod

777timesgod SS.org Regular

Norris should have asked for a not-guilty verdict. Listening to Mariah Carey is enough to turn a nun into a serial killer!

15. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I must create a band about greek gods then. Gods *and* sex, recipe for $$$. :D

16. estabon37

estabon37 Melodica Attack!

Pretty sure somebody already perfected the "Gods and sex" formula.

17. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

I'm pretty sure that the majority of what's currently on the radio has the potential to drive me to the point of homicide. Tbvh though, suicide would be more likely. :lol:

18. UV7BK4LIFE

UV7BK4LIFE Schecter A7 addict

Thanks to metal music and guitar magazines I scored 10/10 for my English exams in highschool!

19. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Same for me...I was even able to make the class listen to and analyze The rime of the ancient mariner...and nobody ever complained about it!

20. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I did that too and my teacher never gave back the booklet of my Live After Death CD :lol: