8 strings and 1 piece necks(dc800's)

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Shredward, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Shredward

Shredward SS.org Regular

Hey guys quick question, would an 8 string such as a dc800 suffer a lot of neck movement compared to a 3 piece neck? I ordered my dc800 a while ago and didn't pay too much attention to the neck as the one i played at the shop was great with a 1 piece. Anyways, any feedback you guys have would be greatly appreciated!

2. Indigenous

Indigenous Indigenous

I don't own one of the DC800, but from what I understand about Carvin, your neck will be sexy and very good regardless of the specs you choose. I'm sure you'll be fine with a 1-piece neck. I've seen a few guys on here that had a 1-piece neck on their DC800 and they had nothing but good things to say.

3. Galius

Galius Mentally Guitarded

I have no issues at all with my 1 piece neck on mine. I would never tell the difference between a 1pc or 3-5pc unless i looked.

4. AVH

AVH avhguitarrepair.com Forum MVP

The only possible 'problem' with some 1pc necks is that, if it isn't perfectly quartersawn from a well kiln-dryed, AAAA-quality piece to start with, one cannot accurately predict the eventual outcome of how that particular piece of wood will react some years down the road after the wood has 'settled'. One piece necks that aren't made from such materials are therefore possibly prone to twists (the worst) and humps. Multi-ply laminates help greatly to minimize this from happening. In my experience, 1 pc wenge necks are the most twist-prone - as I've seen on numerous Warwick basses, for example. I will always go with at least 3, better 5, piece necks for any 8 string - and in a perfect world with two dual-action truss rods as well.

5. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Like Alan said, multi-piece necks are more stable. I initially went with a 5 piece neck for my Vik because of this even though I wanted a 1 piece but Vik suggested we do a birdseye maple neck with ebony fillets. It's supposed to be very stable still but maintains the awesome sexy 1 piece look :D

6. ziggystarpuff

ziggystarpuff SS.org Regular

I went with 1 pc maple on my dc800 build, my card said 6/4 so I am counting down the days til NGD!!!!!

7. DoomJazz

DoomJazz Classic Lojack

I love my one piece neck... :3

8. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

It will be just as stable, I think the theory behind multi-ply necks is that when/if the neck warps, only 1 stringer will, being forced upon another one that isn't warped, therefore keeping shape or that the chance of all stringers warping the same direction at the same time are fairly low... But the wood will be just as strong.

Don't quote me on this though.

9. makeitreign

makeitreign on dem hoes

I have my own personal hypothesis on the subject, and I think it depends on the difference in climate (temperature and humidity) between the builder and the -owner. I have seen the difference do a wonder on certain 1-piece necks, and I think having the neck split up and anchored by other pieces of wood would greatly benefit it's durability in many different situations.

Disclaimer: I have only seen what climate does to 1-piece necks, so I can't say for certain how it would affect multy-ply necks, but it makes complete and physical sense to me that the outcome of a multy-ply neck would be a more durable, more dependable way to go.