8 string trem?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Æxitosus, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Æxitosus

Æxitosus Banned

in this pic, do I spy some weird floyd-rose like trem system?

or if not, does anyone make one?
    [​IMG]

please, don't tell me if this is a repeat thread. I did not find any other thread that gave me the info I was looking for

2. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

This...

Its not a tremolo but it looks like one....

[​IMG]

Æxitosus likes this.
  3. Æxitosus

Æxitosus Banned

huh...they had to make it look so similar:noplease:

4. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

No probably to keep the production prices lower since they already mount floyd parts on other Guitars...

They probably came up with a deal with floyd.... :shrug:

I had to repair one of those Ibanez recently, the bridge pulled off lol

5. eelblack2

eelblack2 Fewel

6. Æxitosus

Æxitosus Banned

yea thats why i got the ESP 8 string :agreed:

7. MTech

MTech Banned

^ No kidding. I played the Ibby 8 at NAMM (unplugged of course) and it felt cheap...I played one at guitar center 2 days ago plugged in and it sounded like shit IMO no bite what so ever. I'm thinking the battery was dead cause I've never heard EMG's sound that bad ever. Still that low F# felt like spaghetti even with the big gauge and 27in scale.

8. Æxitosus

Æxitosus Banned

the F# feels a little light on my guitar too, but I don't think I have a high enough gauge string for it.

as for the EMGs on the ibby, that would be my best guess. for 1500 dollars they wouldnt make a guitar that always sounded like shit, and meshuggah definitely would not play on one

9. MTech

MTech Banned

GC had one used mint and want $1499 for it....

Meshuggah don't play on it though, they play customs plus they have a bigger neck as well. Which is exactly my point, when they debuted this thing at NAMM Dino was walking around trying to check things out and told people they needed a 7 like his so he had something comparable to try the amps with. I asked him why he didn't get the one up from Ibby and he said "that one is a piece of shit I'd never play on one of the production models"
    Hence why i can't stand companies who build completely different stuff for artists instead of putting out the same quality for everybody.

10. Æxitosus

Æxitosus Banned

wow...i did not know that. good thing I didn't get that
    i also hate it that Ibanez only makes custom guitars for endorsees, not anyone who has a nice chunk of change. That really pisses me off because I wanted to make a custom ibby so bad a while back and did my research to find out they are all just cheap-ass whores.

11. Dusty201087

Dusty201087 Kenyon class of 2014

They do that. Have you heard of J-customs? And you know why not every single guitar is like that? Because it's insanely expensive. The average guitar player probably doesn't want to set down $3,000 on a guitar, so by making all your guitars expensive you get virtually no business. By making some really nice guitars that the collectors who ARE willing to drop that much money into guitars and making production models they get to stay in business.

Go to RAN then, they'll make you anything.

The guitar business is just that: a business. Companies have to stay aloft, or they're not making money. And guess what? A lot of people can't afford to put down a substantial amount of money on a guitar. Plus, if Ibby opened the LACS, the quality would probably go down, and there would be a waiting list of probably... Oh, ten years or so. Why? Look at Blackmachine. 4 year waiting list. How many people do you think are buying those? Not many. How many people would buy LACS ibby's? Not many, but a hell of a lot more than Blackmachines.

And BTW, where did the "cheap-ass japanese whores" comment come from? You mean a company didn't bow down to your standards and make you your perfect instrument, and instead they made a carefully-thought out business decision? Oh no. That's terrible. :noway:

12. MTech

MTech Banned

J customs are not the same and as for the "business" that's all stuff I know but the fact I was more getting at is the specs are different.. I can see doing production run guitars to keep costs down, but make them to the same spec as the artist... (use mahogany/alder/ash not basswood for everything or for instance I noticed a lot in early 2000 that many artists customs were 26 1/4 scale yet the ones built for public were 25.5 much like the RG8 being 27 vs meshuggah being 30.5 .. they could've at least compensated and made it 28.75 or something.

13. BlindingLight7

BlindingLight7 Needs moar Gear.....

drama drama.

the 2228 i played was exactly the same as the one mentioned before. fart tone and a floppy f# , really made me a sad panda cause the LTD FM-408 was like 90% better with a 25"5 scale and a thicker neck....

14. Dusty201087

Making everything not basswood would increase costs, but I agree I would like to see some more tone woods in Ibanez's production line.

Once again, making it 28.75 scale would raise production costs and at the same time many guys moving from a 6-7 string with a length like 24 3/4 and 25.5" would probably not want to move all the way to a 28-30". Now a lot of people who do their research will know that the longer scale length will sound a lot better, but people who do their research are (sadly) the minority :shrug:

15. AeonSolus

AeonSolus DO CEO / RHLC ©

IIRC there were two members here, one that went to the ABM factory and talked them about 8 string trems and they said it would be very possible, and other one (The Keitlin Guitars owner) that was designing a trem for his own customs...dunno what happened after that :shrug:

16. Dusty201087

I believe Lee has a 8 string LACS made for Rusty Cooley when he was with Ibanez, and it has a floating trem on it. Not sure how it performs, but Lee seems to be the type who will answer a few questions :yesway:

Never heard anything about Keitlin guitars doing an 8 string floating bridge (I have no reason to doubt you though) but I know there was something about Mike Sherman making one. I think they were only going to be featured on his guitars though, not something you could buy and retrofit your guitar for.

17. ohio_eric

ohio_eric SS Contributor

18. Variant

Variant Banned

He said over on mg.org it worked quite well, though the feel was obviously different than a sixer... but not heavy in action, and fluttered like a mutherfucher. :cool:

:noplease: Mine does not sound bad at all! It's much warmer and rounder than my all maple Synapse, so that poses problems for me when I switch off guitars, to the point where I'm tweaking my settings. But, with heavier strings on it, it's plenty articulate and leads/cleans are wonderfully warm on it even if it isn't as tight sounding as the 28.625" Steiny.

19. Æxitosus

Æxitosus Banned

i think they are a big enough company where they would be able to keep the production models and the custom shop seperate. I mean, how does ESP do it? my friend custom made a guitar with them (for like 6000 dollars though) but I own an ESP that is one of the best guitars I have ever played.

oh, and the neg rep wasn't necessary, even though it looks like i've been collecting it the last week or 2

20. MTech

MTech Banned

Think about it though.. standard guitar is 24 3/4 or 25.5 there's lots of guys who complain about the Low B at 25.5 so they have the baritone to get that tighter and for lower tunings...so that in mind going clear to F# most guys are doing it to have low notes not tuning up so they want it audible an don't mud... I don't see 1.75 inches throwing off product costs after all the markup on their guitars is quite a bit that they could absorb the maybe $20 more it'd cost. You're right now everybody does their research..and I'm not expert on 8's which is why I love reading informative posts on this forum about scales and proper tensions etc.. the more I read the more it doesn't make sense to only do 27 and playing on one the other day just backed that up audibly and by the feel.