8 String Strings

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Vinnydude, Aug 25, 2017.

1. BetterOffShred

BetterOffShred SS.org Regular

Yeah so I've been playing 7's for about 20 years, and I've also fallen in love with the cobalts man. Those strings make my Universe sound even better. I'm fixing to get an 8 string in the near future and I've also contemplated the solutions to this tone quagmire. There are some good suggestions here, I may just rock my normal 7 set and add an 80 ..

2. BetterOffShred

BetterOffShred SS.org Regular

Yeah so I've been playing 7's for about 20 years, and I've also fallen in love with the cobalts man. Those strings make my Universe sound even better. I'm fixing to get an 8 string in the near future and I've also contemplated the solutions to this tone quagmire. There are some good suggestions here, I may just rock my normal 7 set and add an 80 ..

3. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

That's a special custom made set by Daddario for Strandberg. Bought mine on Strings & Beyond.

4. rockskate4x

rockskate4x rockskate4x

Thank you!

5. Matt794

Matt794 SS.org Regular

Curt Mangen makes an 8 string set that is pretty close to that strandberg NYXL set. I have the strandberg NYXLs on my Boden right now and the Curt Mangen 9-84 set on my RG8, and I think I might prefer the Curt Mangen strings actually. Their 84 sounds a lot clearer at E1 IMO.

Here's a link to the set in case anyone is interested: http://www.juststrings.com/man-10984.html

6. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

I used to use the GHS Boomers 10-76 set when I had an 8 string. If I remember right Fred Brum helped in creating the sets for their 8 string line up.

7. gingerman

gingerman SS.org Regular

Kaliums, 10-94 custom set for 26 - 28.5" multiscale tuned DGDGDGBE (low to high)

8. gingerman

gingerman SS.org Regular

I have to add, though, that I live in Russia, so getting Kaliums in is typically a problem, and I have to buy in bulk.
    Someone mentioned Newtone from UK - thank you, will check those out, hope they can simplify my life :)