8 String Strings

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Vinnydude, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Vinnydude

Vinnydude The Shipman Project

So over the years I've fallen in love with cobalt strings and since getting back on the band wagon with a new Jackson dka8m, which I love, I'm missing playing cobalts.

I've currently just got a set of Daddarios strung on it and I'm feeling that my low F# sounds dull.

Has anyone else found this? What do other people string theirs with?

2. Gravy Train

Gravy Train Night Fiddler

I am using Dunlop 10-74's. They are cheap, feel really good/broken in out of the box and IMHO I think they sound great!

3. MoonJelly

MoonJelly brainless and deadly Contributor

I have two sets of D'addario standard lights for 8, I think they are 10-80ish and they sound great. But I will say I had a set I bought from a music store that seemed lifeless... I believe the reason was they sat on the store shelf for like two years before I came along and scooped them up. I've had better luck buying 8 sets online though. :2c:

4. Pooty Skills

Pooty Skills Island Dweller

I went ahead and got a few sets from Stringjoy.com, and I'm a big fan of them. You can get literally any gauge you want for any string. I have a 09-80 set for EAEADGBe and they are really nice. Sometimes I throw it in full standard and its great for that also, but I really love having that bass E. I'm working with 25.5"-28.2", for whatever that's worth

5. Dayn

Dayn silly person

I've tried so many things over the years, but I've finally settled on Kalium. Been a while since I bought any, but they're the best I've found for guitar and bass. More flexible than other strings, so a brighter tone for heavier strings.

On my 27" RG2228 for Drop E, the gauges are... I think they make a set for it now: .009, .013, .017, .024, .033, .045, .059, .090.

6. that short guy

that short guy SS.org Regular

I use string joy. I use a really weird set (09.5 to 90) so its nice that I can get it there. The strings sound great and their customer service is too bitch. A package didn't make it to my house that had about 8 packs of strings in it. I sent them an email that they responded to within an hour, and they had my new shipment to me within 2 days

7. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Another shout out to Stringjoy

I use 9.5-46+58+74 and love it for Drop A/E and Drop Ab/Eb. They do not have Kalium-level variety in gauges but more than enough for most people. I just wish they had 76s.

Great customer service, super fast shipping for me when using their normal plan (4-5 days? 5-7? something like that), tons of discount codes, and they always throw in a sticker and/or handwritten note.

8. Vinnydude

Some great information here, thank you. Unfortunately I live in the UK so string joy and kalium aren't very accessible (and I'd get raped on import tax!)

The general feel if what everyone has said though is that it's best to go for a custom brand rather than the big names.

9. Mike

Mike The Traveler Contributor

Has anyone used both Kalium and String Joy? I've been a loyal Kalium user since their inception, but they seem to lose their life faster than almost any other string for me. I know the string joys are less bright out of the pack, but how's the longevity on them as far as keeping their 'new string-like tone' compared to Kalium?

10. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

I find my Stringjoys last a few weeks of being "fresh string" bright and then level out to a good medium. Nothing too shabby, can easily last a month or two if you don't need fresh string tone.

Much better than the Kaliums I used to use.

11. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD ERG Drummer! Contributor

I use the Daddario NYXL's; I order the 10-46BT set and add a 58 and a 78 (or is it 60/80? I keep changing with those). Love the tone and tension, though it is a little pricier that way.

This is on a 28.685 scale tuned to drop-Eb, btw.

Oh, and I order from Strings And Beyond, they have tons of singles available. Guitar Strings Online is another good one.

12. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

I use the D'addario NYXL 9-80 set for F# standard. I'm pretty happy with them, mine have lasted for quite a while.

13. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

On my new Boden 8 I use the custom NYXL set they did for Strandberg...

9-12-15-22-30-42-56-84

Scale is 26-28" tuned to F#

Sounds great and tight that way.

BetterOffShred likes this.
  14. n4t

n4t SS.org Regular

I started using DR tite-wounds on my main 8 string some time ago (10-75), now I use them on my 7s and 6s as well.

I've have Khalium 10-82 on my other 8. They are just as nice IMO, but I will probably standardize on the DRs going forward there too.

15. Vinnydude

Nice! I used to play Drs before I switched to cobalt on my 6s. I didn't know they did an 8 set. I shall give those and the nyxls a blast :)

16. rockskate4x

rockskate4x rockskate4x

where are you getting a size .084 nyxl?

17. BangandBreach

BangandBreach Kaboom.

What would you wizards recommend for optimal Eb tuning? Eb Bb Gb Db Ab Eb Bb F stuff. 27" scale.

18. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

D'addario NYXL 9-80 for a loose feel, Stringjoy 9.5-85 (with the other strings bumped up similarly) for a regular feel

19. BangandBreach

BangandBreach Kaboom.

Thanks pal, I appreciate you! I'll let you know how I find them, I'm confident that they will be great.

Winspear likes this.
  20. davidswain

davidswain SS.org Regular

I use Newtone in derby. Can't quite remember gauges but I think I'm currently on 8,12,15,20,30,40,56,85.

Reasonably quick turnaround (considering it two guys making them), about the same piece as earnie balls of the shelf and whatever gauges you want.

Next set I'm going lighter on the top 3 string (probably 7-12) and try a 90 on the bottom.

I use a 27" scale agile interceptor with a floyd and tune EBGDAEBe.

edit: I also specify tapers for tuning heads and floyd saddles.