8 String pickup shootout. Same amp, same guitar, no bull, no frills.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by KnightBrolaire, Apr 4, 2017.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder/pickup tester

guitarmory orion is on the way. polaris clips will be up tomorrow.

2. KnightBrolaire

Actually I changed my mind, these should hold up well for a lot of genres, not just southern metal/sludgier/doomier esque stuff. They're not the clearest pickup out there but they do feel like a clearer black winter. nice percussive chugs/tremolo picking, tight bass response and can get real mean sounding.
    Oh yeah, here's the clips:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h8jris4qiqrc46k/AACpqsn1CvrYTFxBtMHPLvI-a?dl=0

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  3. KnightBrolaire

orion is here. will give my thoughts after playing with it for a while.

4. KnightBrolaire

orion is an interesting pickup. not too hot, stays tight and clear on the low end, but is quite bright on the high end in this guitar. mids are kind of snarly, though not to the extent of say the black dog or elysian modern/goliaths. It cleans up really well and when split can get extra chimey cleans like the goliaths. it can do warmer blues/jazz cleans when you roll off the volume/tone knobs too. It's great for chugging riffs, death metal and even djenty stuff. A TS style boost gives it that extra bit of snarling aggression for rhythm work, though like I said, there's a bright high end in this guitar, and the boost exacerbates that. I really like it for gojira esque riffs or deftones/devin townsend esque wall of sound riffs since it has cut and feels tight but not stiff. It's a very good choice for a more medium output pickup that can cover a pretty big amount of tonal ground.