8 String pickup shootout. Same amp, same guitar, no bull, no frills.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by KnightBrolaire, Apr 4, 2017.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

avedissian scythe 8 and black dog 8 are both here. gonna make the elysian clips tomorrow,then test the black dog.

2. KnightBrolaire

3. BubbleWrap

BubbleWrap SS.org Regular

Nice work! Looking forward to hearing the SFTY-3.

4. KnightBrolaire

thanks, clips for those should be up in a week or two.

5. KnightBrolaire

the avedissian scythe is pretty nice, not as clear as the elysian but still pretty clear. Definitely has a thicker, snarlier tone under high gain. It's also a relatively tight pickup. I'll add more info as I play with them more.

6. KnightBrolaire

7. KnightBrolaire

SFTY3-8 pickups are great, I had this set in my boden 8 before I decided to throw them in this guitar for the shootout.
    Thick, pretty tight,and mean but not as clear as the avedissian, omega or elysian pickups. Both the bridge and neck are pretty balanced eq wise imo.
    The neck is nice but isn't as smooth in the high end as the cold sweat.
    Not as much low end as the avedissian or c-pig but still a fair amount. Mids aren't overly present like in the aftermath I used to have. In this guitar they have a brighter high end, though not shrill like the c-pig was.

8. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Awesome threadd. When i go on to night shifts next week i will headphone up and listen to all clips. Excited to hear black dogs. My 8 has nazgul in bridge so nice to get to hear all the alternatives

9. KnightBrolaire

haven't done the black dog yet, but clips should be up sometime next week.

10. BubbleWrap

BubbleWrap SS.org Regular

How would you compare the sfty-3s to the Pegasus/sentient/omega, if you don't mind?

11. KnightBrolaire

The sfty3-8 bridge is tighter with a little bit more treble than the pegasus or omega. I feel like they have a little bump in the low end somewhere that gives them a nice thickness and makes chords feel huge. The tightness really lends to the chunkiness of palm mutes and chugging. cleans are nice, easily on par with the pegasus and omega. Split sounds are useful for spanky tones. It doesn't quite have the snarl of the omega but it has its own unique sound under high gain. It's more of a roar like the avedissian or c-pig. The neck pickup is pretty comparable to the sentient. It's not a very dramatic eq for either the bridge or neck pickup but they do have their own vibe compared to other relatively balanced pickups.

12. KnightBrolaire

13. KnightBrolaire

I really dig the Black Dog. It's got a voice kind of like the Black Winter bridge but with more mid emphasis and a snarly evil sound under high gain. Has plenty of low end in this guitar too and surprisingly tight. A bit bright on the high end in this guitar though. It feels more like a good death metal/sludge pickup than a more modern sounding pickup, though it can definitely djent if you want it to. The coil split is super spanky too.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  14. BigHandy

BigHandy SS.org Regular

On the second segment (I guess it's the whole bridge) of the Hevy Devy part the Omage just wins the prize obviously. It has much more define and strongly characterized sound on those lower tones, very modern and Djenty I would say. Tho I didn't listen else than the C-Pig, Jugger and the Pegasus for now to compare. Tho' I'm not sure if it's not also affected by some change in your topical play style on that session... ?!

15. KnightBrolaire

The C-pig has a lot more low end than the omega, juggs or pegasus. It also had a weird sharp high end in this guitar that I didn't get along with. It's a tad darker on the 7th/8th strings in this guitar, though it has good clarity on the other strings. The Pegasus is similar to the Omega but without the snarl and a bit more low end, it's also not quite as tight sounding. Still pretty clear though. The Juggs have around the same low end as the pegasus or so (not quite c-pig levels). They also have that very distinct vocal/cocked wah voice that misha loves. They also have good clarity though whether you'd like the vocal quality is a matter of taste. Omega and Pegasus are hands down the most balanced eq wise in this guitar, and the most versatile. All of the pickups are more than capable of djenty tones.

16. KnightBrolaire

Welp I'm out of room on my soundcloud so can't really upload anymore clips without deleting previous clips. I'll post some instagram vids of the black dog through my mesa later.

17. Arshu123

Arshu123 SS.org Regular

Which pickup is your favourite? Why?

18. KnightBrolaire

That's a hard question, I can't really narrow it down to one absolute favorite.
    I love the black dog for the snarling evil high gain tone, it just sounds so unbelievably mean with a tubescreamer and a boogie.
    I love the elysian for the clarity and overall balance. It can do literally anything I threw at it well, though I think it excels at modern metal (I did get the modern wind lol).
    I love the avedissian and SFTY3 for doomy/sludgy stuff and their unique, thick roaring tones.
    I loved the eclipse and omega til I tried the black dog and elysian, they all embody similar characteristics (snarling high gain tone, versatile, great for modern metal). I think the black dog and elysian are better clarity wise, plus I love the voicings of those more than the omega or eclipse.

19. Arshu123

Arshu123 SS.org Regular

Cool. I vote Elysian

20. KnightBrolaire