8 String pickup shootout. Same amp, same guitar, no bull, no frills.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by KnightBrolaire, Apr 4, 2017.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

Overload with the Juggs installed.
    [​IMG]
    So this is going to be an ongoing thing for me with this overload rhea 8. If you just want to hear the clips then the link is here: https://soundcloud.com/skwisgaar-sandervaal/sets/overload-rea-8-pickup-shootout
    I've got some cash right now and wanted to finally explore some pickup options for 8 strings since there's not really a lot of in-depth demos exploring the versatility of the pickup. I tried to make these clips with as few variables as possible (same guitar, same amp sim/cab sim, same settings, no post production, no drums, the sound is going straight from my kemper into my scarlett 2i4 and then to studio one 3 pro edition). If you want to learn more, I explain the profile used etc. in the playlist description on soundcloud.
    I tried to encapsulate some different styles like jazzy cleans, fingerpicked cleans, meshuggah esque riffs, sludgy stoner rock esque riffs, death metal esque riffs, devin townsend style riffs to test chord clarity (riffs use extended chords involving 7th/8th string ), etc. This is by no means exhaustive or super precise but it will give you a good feel for the pickups and how they sound in this guitar (whether they will sound similar for your rig is of course, up to you).
    List of pickups that I've tried in here so far/Sound Overview:
    BKP Aftermath bridge (no demos of this one, sold it to buy C-pig)- Very tight, clanky/metallic sounding, takes gain very well, very clear/percussive but I hated it. Actually pretty good for 80s hair metal tones like Ratt though..
    BKP Ceramic Warpig bridge/Cold Sweat neck-The C-pig destroys/roars under gain, it's a savage pickup, but also pretty versatile, good clarity, takes gain very well, my only complaint was it felt a bit bright in the high end on this guitar. The Cold Sweat is awesome, it's very clear, has a rounder high end so it doesn't get icepicky, and is oh so amazing for high gain leads/shredding.
    Duncan Omega (bridge only) Probably my favorite pickup so far, it's tight, it snarls under gain in a unique sounding way, takes gain extremely well, very clear on the lower strings, the high end is less than the C-pig in this guitar and overall it's a super balanced pickup
    Duncan Pegasus (bridge only)-A more polite version of the Omega basically. It's super versatile, takes gain very well, great clarity, but lacks the snarl of the Omega (that ceramic magnet really makes a difference). A little bigger sounding than the Omega but not huuuge like the C-Pig or Juggs.
    BKP Juggernauts (bridge and neck)- I've wanted to try these for years. Great clarity on the low end, pretty tight, takes gain very well, relatively versatile but they have a distinct sound that you either love or hate. I like the low/low-mid bump they have, it gives them a nice chug sound. Don't have much to say about the neck pickup because I'm in love with the Cold Sweat.

Pickups I'm still testing/waiting on:
    Duncan Black Winter bridge (currently installed, just need time to demo them)
    Dimarzio Eclipse bridge (ordered).
    Elysian TAP 8 (ordered)
    Bare Knuckle Black Dog bridge (ordered)
    Lundgren M8 (I can swap these from my vader eventually).

2. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Cool man, I'll try to check out some clips later.

Always cool to see multiple reviews from a single person using the pickups in a single guitar through a single amp. Really cuts down on the amount of other factors at play.

At some point soon I'm gonna be looking for pickup upgrades for my 8 as it is next on the list, so this is great info!

3. jemfloral

jemfloral SS.org Regular

:thumbsup:

4. KnightBrolaire

the eclipse 8 bridge showed up today, it's gonna be about 2 wks or so for the elysian to show up and at least a month for the black dog to show up. Hopefully I can have clips for the black winter and eclipse 8 up by next weekend.

5. KnightBrolaire

UPDATE:
    Black Winters are dope. Tight, mean, thick, pretty balanced in this guitar (no skewed eq like the c-pig where the treble is a bit much in this guitar). Stays clear for extended chords ( little less than the Omega or Pegasus but still pretty damn clear) too. Clips soon, though I have to warn you they'll be fvcking loud since the pickup sits way higher in the cavity than the others I've tried so far (screws are realllllly long, I might have to cut them down eventually).

Also currently talking to avedissian pickups about getting a scythe 8 string version made. Apparently Pallbearer has 7 string versions of it.

6. KnightBrolaire

7. KnightBrolaire

currently testing the eclipse bridge.

8. IGC

IGC OCDG

Sweet thread bro:yesway: I had a skim over all of your clips and IMO the C Pig sounded the best! Now I know what I will be purchasing if I get some shelf ERG pickups. Did you use the same volume/tone pots/ guts and Jacks for all? 500k pots? What caps?

Gmork likes this.
  9. KnightBrolaire

C-pig is a savage pickup, probably one of my favorites next to the black winter or omega. It wasn't the best fit for this guitar though.
    yup none of the pots/jacks/wiring/caps changed. Literally just swapped pickups in and out of the same guitar. Some pickups like the pegasus and black winter are a bit louder due to mucking around with the master volume on my kemper/being closer to the strings (I couldn't adjust them due to the screws protruding from the baseplate).

10. IGC

IGC OCDG

I've had to shorten pickup adjusting screws. Fun fun:yesway:

11. EdgeCrusher

EdgeCrusher SS.org Regular

Thanks for taking the time to put these together! It would be cool if you could edit a quick sample of all pickups back to back in one track with timestamps to make it easier to hear the differences. I'm really curious what you think about the Eclipse.

12. KnightBrolaire

I could probably throw some clips together later in the week. The Eclipse is definitely more modern voiced (like the juggernauts) though the EQ is different. Eclipse feel tighter, and higher output than I expected them to. They sound great under very high gain and have pretty good clarity (on par with the omega/pegasus/juggs imo). They feel a little bright in the high end in this guitar (not as much as the C-pig though). They're a bit pronounced in the low end but not enough to make them flabby. Pretty balanced overall, though there is a very juggernaut vocal quality sound to them at times, which isn't really my thing.

EDIT: After playing with them a bit more they can get a very tight aggressive sound with minimal tweaking needed (I can seriously just turn on my boost and they tear .... up). definitely a pickup worth picking up if you're on a budget but want a more modern voiced pickup that's pretty versatile.

13. KnightBrolaire

14. KnightBrolaire

15. KnightBrolaire

black dog and elysian tap 8 both on the way.

16. KnightBrolaire

17. KnightBrolaire

Elysian TAP8 is here. Adam is a cool dude to work with, he sent me progress pics of the pickup being wound/potted and kept me updated regularly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also doing some work on my strandberg. The SFTY3-8 pups I had in there can now be demo'd in the overload.

18. KnightBrolaire

19. KnightBrolaire

Got the Elysian TAP 8 installed. Really digging these so far, they have really great clarity, a really nice snarl under high gain and they're pretty tight. A tad bright on the high end for my tastes though. Adam recommended the modern wind with ceramic bar magnets/alnico v slugs for the inside coils. Clips will probably be up friday or saturday

20. KnightBrolaire

Avedissian Scythe 8 bridge is on the way.