8 string math rock featuring weird sounds, odd times and clean vocals!

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by lhoffl, Dec 7, 2015.

1. lhoffl

lhoffl SS.org Regular

Hey all!
    Just finished my first EP and I couldn't be more excited!
    As the title says it has a ton of weird sounds and odd time grooves. My main inspirations have been Tera Melos, TTNG, Tigran Hamaysan and Delta Sleep.

You can check it out here:
    https://sibley.bandcamp.com/

and here's my setup:
    [​IMG]

Guitar is an Agile Septor Pro 827 and my pedal chain is:
    in > Korg PitchBlack > Xotic SP Compressor > EQD Dispatch Master > Red Panda Particle > Red Panda Raster > Chasebliss Warped Vinyl > Chasebliss Gravitas > Behringer US600 > Line6 DL4 > MWFX Judder > Line6 DL4 > out

Amp is a Blackstar Club 40.

Guitar and bass were recorded by me with Reaper.

Hope you dig it, let me know what you think or if you have questions! :wavey:

2. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

Dig it, hard.

Third song in right now. This is some insanely good material. Mixed well too! It's like a glitchy, sun-drenched Fall of Troy. Wow.

3. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

Was not expecting vocals... This is cool stuff... :yesway:

Nice change from 0001001011100001010 weedle weedle 1001001110010 random bend weedle 1010 weedle... you get the point...

If I may offer one criticism, though. The vocal tone is really nice. Some people get really nasally sometimes which you managed to avoid. The only thing I hear is that your pitch can get a bit shakey from time to time.

4. lhoffl

lhoffl SS.org Regular

Thank you, glad you dig it and thanks for listening! :)

Thank you! I love grooves as much as anyone but I'm more inspired by melodic stuff and I think that comes out here. Glad you like it!

Criticism is good, and very much appreciated! I'm glad you like the tone and can see where you're coming from with the pitch. I'm new to singing and definitely working on it, thanks for your input! :)

5. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I know it can be a pain, but I love buying actual CDs. Do you have an option for that?

BTW, in case that didn't express this idea, I like your recording. The vocals remind me of Riverside (which I also like quite a bit).

6. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

Whoever mixed this did a great job. I wish I could get my vocals to sound this clear without dominating the mix.

7. lhoffl

lhoffl SS.org Regular

Sadly I don't have CDs, I really wanted to but it was the more expensive option and as this was all DIY I couldn't.
    I'm glad you dig it though and it's always free on Bandcamp! Also thanks for the complement, the vocals are the part that I was least confident about! :)

Thanks! The mixing was done predominately by my friend Tim Barrett and I think he did a great job too!

8. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

This is awesome! I'm excited to hear more extended range math rock as a huge fan of the genre. The vocals remind me a little bit of this other math rock band called Hikes if you've ever heard of them. I also really enjoy the use of effects :yesway:

9. lhoffl

lhoffl SS.org Regular

Wow thank you, I'm also really interested in hearing more extended range math rock! Also never heard of Hikes before this, but I'm listening now and they're pretty rad!

Glad you like the effects too, I love messing with pedals! :)

10. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel K-U-N-fusion!

I'm really digging this so far! The ambient guitars remind me a lot of Pulse Ultra, which is one of my favorite bands, so I'm on board! Good job! :yesway:

11. Veldar

Veldar Is Post-Thrash?

Not really familiar with math rock but a lot of bands I like love it so here I go!

12. lhoffl

lhoffl SS.org Regular

Hey thank you, glad you like the guitar! :)

Hope you're liking it! Math rock is a pretty broad genre, but there's a ton of good bands out there. Check out TTNG, Tera Melos or Don Caballero.