8 String Guitars: Active to Passive conversion Megathread!

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by teqnick, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Hertz32

Hertz32 SS.org Regular

Now the guitarjones are gone, is there anywhere I can get the EMG housings? Searched and cant find them any where! In the UK btw, but i'd probably pay import if I'm honest.

2. Haun

Haun SS.org Regular

Does anyone know if the pickup covers on the stock RG8 passives will fit a set of D-activators? If they can even be dismantled like that.

3. Ben.Last

Ben.Last Formerly Lern2Swim

I doubt they could be dismantled without destroying them.

4. Haun

Haun SS.org Regular

Crap. Well, does anyone then know where some EMG style covers can be found that would fit such a pair? I've been searching for quite some time now. Would be amazing if some were available in white.

5. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Search Results

The 5 string pickup covers fit (I think, check the measurements).

I got a few from the US, but be warned, shipping even within the US is extortionate, costing more than the actual pickup covers. IIRC shipping to Europe was stupid, and not worth it. If you know someone in the US, see if you can have them send you some.

Some modification will be required, the pickup rings are quite deep, so they need to be cut down to the thickness of a normal guitar pickup. A small hacksaw of some kind and a file and/or sandpaper to smooth the edges will work for this.

Also I can confirm you can't re-use the pickup covers on the existing pickups, the pickup is epoxied into the cover, you would end up shredding it trying to get it out.

6. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Coming into this thread sort of late, seems like all the links are broken after the XenForo upgrade. Bummer!

FWIW, figured I'd share this. Lace offers their X-Bars with traditional covers now:

http://www.lacemusic.com/Stealth_8_XRange.php
    [​IMG]

I emailed Lace about a Deathbar with a cover, and they said it can be special ordered directly from them. And the covers are apparently not removable. Once you get the pickup like that, you're stuck with it.

Considering this style for down the road after I get my new Agile fanned fret 8. Covered 'bars would maintain a bit more of stock look to the guitar since it already has EMG 909s. Can't decide what I want to do about that, but I have time to figure it out. Who knows, maybe I'll actually like the 909s? :shrug:

7. EverDream

EverDream SS.org Regular

@Backsnack If you are going to be getting a guitar that comes with pickups you have never played on before, I would recommend (and always in such a scenario) holding off on buying any replacement pickups until after you've received the guitar and try it out with the pickups that come on it (unless you have some really good reason not to).

Backsnack likes this.
  8. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Yeah I'm going to give the 909s a good shake before upgrading them. Thanks for the advice. :)

EverDream likes this.
  9. EverDream

EverDream SS.org Regular

No problem! :)

10. atom\anon

atom\anon SS.org Regular

I just put BKPs in my RG8 and needed something to cover the gap, so I drew up a pair of pickup rings in CAD and 3D printed them - 22 minutes and about 70 cents of material. The mounting holes are sized for #3 screws, but for now I left the pickups direct-mounted and slapped the rings on the body with double-sided tape.

It's not an absolute perfect fit but not bad at all - I might spend some time on the model making it really snug and pretty. If anyone wants the CAD file, just shoot me a PM. I'd also be happy to print and ship these to anyone for just the cost of shipping.

Attached Files:

• rg8.png
      rg8.png
      File size:
      296.5 KB
      Views:
    ThePhilosopher likes this.