7 string tuning for djent and djazz?

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by TylerEstes, Feb 23, 2014.

1. TylerEstes

TylerEstes Sheeeeeeeit

So I have a 7 string with a 25.5 in scale length and was about to tune to drop A (a-e-a-d-g-b-e) with my strings being 62-52-42-30-17-13-10 but the tension was too high and I couldn't tune the strings to those notes because they'd break. What's a good tuning for 7 string that I can use for some djent type stuff as well as jazz?

EDIT: I just realized that what I just tried is just standard tuning with a low A because I'm....slow. I used to play in drop C (c-g-c-f-a-d). Would that be good for jazz? Sorry if that's a no0b question, I'm still very new to jazz. Jazz.

I just tried A-C-F#-C on the low strings (can't go any higher than F#) and it sounds pretty terrible. I'm sure they don't go together, but I don't know what strings go to what tuning or anything like that.

2. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

Jazz.

jazz.

Jazz.

Any tuning is good for any music. It's all just vibrations, man. Do whatever you want with them.

3. TylerEstes

TylerEstes Sheeeeeeeit

Oh okay. I wasn't sure if one tuning would be bad for it or not. Like standard tuning really wouldn't suit most types of music that I listen to but it would with others.

4. jeremyc

jeremyc SS.org Regular

5. rockskate4x

rockskate4x rockskate4x

There is something wrong with your guitar if you are breaking those strings before reaching E standard/drop A. 10-52 sets feel a bit tight in standard but strings shouldn't be breaking. Where are the strings breaking? At the tuner? At the bridge saddle? Are any specific strings breaking more than others?

6. Daken1134

Daken1134 SS.org Regular

i hate when people call it "djazz" just because you're playing something on a clean channel doesnt make it jazz, but that aside ide say drop A is a good endeavor, (A-E-A-D-G-B-E) not only do you obviously get allot of your heavy songs but allot of jazz players who use 7's play it with the B dropped down to A (including myself) it alows you when playing root 5 chords you can use the low A as the root and it fills in allot of sonic ground.

7. InfinityCollision

InfinityCollision SS.org Regular

:scratch:

I use 11-70 for B standard on my 7. Most serious jazz guys are running 13s or higher in standard tuning. Why are your light gauge strings breaking in drop A?

Drop A is fine for jazz.

8. chassless

chassless Don'tDeserveMyGuitar

i'm assuming the strings that break are your higher strings ?
    high strings of light gauge are more likely to break precisely because they are of light gauge.

but a 10 or 13 tuned to E or B on 25.5" shouldn't break. do you stretch new strings well when you install them ?

Edit : just want to add this here because it's related to topic, and pretty awesome :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9aAaK6KzHE

9. Rojne

Rojne Köttbullar är fint..

Try a set of .10-.46 + .62 for strings and tune to Drop A ( A E A D G B e), probably the most useable and convenient tuning for playing jazz on a 7 string!

And if your strings are breaking tuning to standard then there's something wrong with your guitar! :)

10. cereal_guy

cereal_guy SS.org Regular

I honestly hope 'djazz' becomes a thing

11. wat

wat SS.org Regular

Why the hell are you strings breaking?

Standard tuning with a low A (in other words, Drop A) is perfect with the strings you're using.

12. Mike

Mike The Traveler Contributor

a .062 tuned to A on a 25.5 is roughly only 15 lbs. of tension. Many would actually consider that to be a little on the floppy side, especially for the bass side.

Sounds like you might have something else causing your string problems.

Edit: Actually the problem is your .052, .042, and .030. Those are all way too big for what you're trying to tune to. They're each over 24 lbs.

Edit 2: If you are dead set on using those strings for a playable tuning, B,D,F,A#,G,B,D# would work wonderfully though I have no idea what you would play in that tuning.

13. InfinityCollision

Those tensions are pretty common for jazz, acoustic, and also in some blues circles, to say nothing of bass tensions. There are guitarists who run even higher tensions (think 14s and 15s). Alex Skolnick uses 13s in standard for Testament these days. It shouldn't be the strings.

14. Mike

Mike The Traveler Contributor

Yes that may be, but I can understand from his perspective, for a guitarist coming from more metal and rock styles to playing jazz, anything over 20 lbs. will definitely start to feel like its at the breaking threshold.

Either way though typically progressive or balanced tension are what people are accustomed to and his set was all over the place tension-wise in drop A.

15. InfinityCollision

Ah, I see what you're saying now. I assumed he'd actually broken the strings trying to tune up.

16. straightshreddd

straightshreddd Dat Dood

Those strings are fine for drop A. I just think you're not used to higher tension.

He said "they'd break" implying that he thinks they'll break because the tension feels high to him.

Any tuning or strings are fine for jazz, however higher gauges/tension is the norm for that bassy, deep tone jazz is known for.

Your strings won't break, but if you don't like how high the tension is, just lower the gauge down to 9's. However, 10's should be fine, bud. Shit, I play 11's with a low .066 or .068 on 27" scale. My old guitar teacher swore by 12's and Inifinty's right about the serious jazz guys playing 13's and higher.

The higher gauges will help for when you play those alternate picked runs through the progressions. The extra tension will also help for when you're transitioning chord shapes quickly because they don't move around and f*ck up the pitch. However, bending won't be super easy as with the smaller gauges. Still very possible, but whole step bending and vibrato will require a tad bit more effort. It'll strengthen your fingers.

17. Svava

Svava Djento ergo sum

Animals as Leaders.

18. wat

wat SS.org Regular

Those strings are actually ideal for what you're doing. It's basically a "light top/skinny bottom" set with an extra .062. IMO, you might wanna go a little heavier on the low string though, you might custom order some .068 for that low A.

19. Forrest_H

Forrest_H How can she slap?

I haven't played around with string gauges on my 7 since I've not been able to leave the house to pick up new strings, but drop A should be good for djent and jazz. I don't play jazz at all, but I play a lot of clean stuff in Drop A. Probably not a very helpful reply, but I hope it helps a little bit :lol:

20. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

I'd go with all M3rds: E-C-Ab-E-C-Ab-E.

You won't get extended range, or chugging lows, but you will get two full octaves in one position, you'll be able to play denser chords, you'll have a regular tuning that is really good for scale runs, a tuning that's easy for sight-reading, a regular tuning that you can move the same chord shapes and scale patterns anywhere on the neck, etc., etc.

Look-up Ralph Pratt or Ole Kirby.

Ray