7 String Set Alternative (Set Gauges)

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Bodomx, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Bodomx

Bodomx New Member

Hi :wavey:.! I have a Big problem Right Now.! Its almost IMPOSSIBLE Find 7 Strings Guitar Sets on My Country (Venezuela) Maybe One or Two and ULTRA EXPENSIVE (Like 100$ or 150$ The Set And D'Addario) The 6 Strings Sets Are more Affordable So..

i Heard Something like Use 6 Strings Sets and One Of Bass like 0.80 or 0.70 For The 7.! But Who's of Those "Combine" Wich Gauge.. For the Bass String and The Guitar Set.!?

2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've tried using a bass string in addition to a 6 string set, and long story short, just don't.

Bass strings have a different construction and sound than that of guitar strings, so you will have issues with tuning, intonation, tone, etc.

7 string sets are generally super unbalanced anyway, so try adding a heavier guitar string to a 6 string set :yesway: for example, add a 62-64 to a set of 10's for standard, a 66-70 to a set of 10's for drop A, etc.

3. scottro202

scottro202 I'm walkin' here!!!

Yeah, you'll probably have to start ordering strings online (if you don't already) and order a single gauge of what you want for your 7th string, and a 6 string set that fits the rest of them. That's what I do anyways. I go to juststrings.com for my strings, you can get D'Addario's as heavy as an 80 in singles there. But I have no idea about shipping to Venezuela.

4. Bodomx

Bodomx New Member

Thanks Both for the Answers.! i Think is The only way i Can do.! Buy them Online (Kinda sucks Here Because u Can only have 400$ in one Year and its Fuc*ing Hard to Get those 400$) :wavey: