7 string Ibanez BTB returns

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by ixlramp, Sep 13, 2017.

1. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Posting this as i am very enthusiastic about Ibanez making 7 string basses available at a reasonable cost, i want to see this continue and see many sold.
    Last winter and at NAMM i was concerned to see that the new series of BTBs did not include a 7 string, and assumed they had dropped it as a limited run, as they often unfortunately do with more unusual basses.
    So a good surprise to see this. Although i have a BTB676 and like the extreme top cutaway i am beginning to like this new cutaway design.
    The stainless steel frets, zero fret and body-end trussrod access are excellent features.

http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eb...&cat_id=2&series_id=53&data_id=442&color=CL01

BTB747_NTL_1P_01flat.png

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    bostjan, Chiba666, TolerancEJ and 2 others like this.
  2. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

Not bad, especially the SS frets for those that want to run SS strings and not worry too much about very accelerated fret wear.
    I definitely like the 747 designation, because having seen one of the old BTB7s in the flesh before, it is indeed a big mofo of a thing :lol:
    That said, I can't help but feel that not only this of all their basses, having the most strings, would benefit the most from having fanned frets, but it would have been a good opportunity to have brought fanned frets to the BTB line. Even just a 1.5" fan would be enough to make a big difference, especially on the higher end where a shorter scale would encourage more expressiveness with string bending/vibrato.

LordIronSpatula likes this.
  3. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Nah, fanned frets are not at all necessary for that reason on a 7 string bass (only 10+), it's just a personal ergonomic preference of the frets following the angle of your arm.
    I've noticed ERGuitarists are a generally bit obsessed with fanned frets but that's due to avoiding an overly tight or thin top E string, that's not an issue with basses.
    You can get a more playable top string, with less tension, by reducing the gauge.

Fanned fret basses are compensating for traditional string sets which are top-heavy and with floppy Bs, the B needs to be longer but increasing the tension of the highest strings is not a good idea. It's simpler to just use a more tension balanced set without the overly-tight high strings, then basses can be non-fanned 36".
    Many strings have a 38" winding length and can cope with 36" scale, i'm irritated by the caution of stopping at 35".

Winspear likes this.
  4. ImBCRichBitch

ImBCRichBitch SS.org Regular

I owned an og BTB and it was huge... this thing is even bigger

5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Stainless frets on an Ibanez? I'm intrigued.

I've picked up a few seven string basses on the showroom floor in the past. I found them to be surprisingly not that different-feeling from six string basses. When I played six string basses, I found myself using the high C string <5% of the time. Some stuff was easier to grab the high C than to go way up the fretboard, and other times I would extend a run up a couple or few notes and wind up on the high C for a split second. Holding a bass with an even higher F, I always felt like I just didn't know what to make of the potential at my fingertips, and end up just jamming on the bottom five strings and every time I'd try to work in the high string, it just felt out of place. It's frustrating to me, since on guitar, I'm a huge proponent of having x+1 strings, for whatever reason, and also because I consider myself a bass player as much as I consider myself a guitar player. I guess I just never advanced in the direction that required me to have more than five strings in my bass toolbox.

So, as much as I'm super thrilled that this exists, I would be even more super thrilled if Ibanez developed something to sound great at F# or lower, with a similar ergonomic and visual design to this.

6. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

I want it. I'm gonna get it.

7. Preacher

Preacher Lord of Beer

interesting, been hungry for a the OG BTB7 whenever I see them crop up on the usual selling pages, but they are always going for ridiculous money (In the UK at least). Any word on when this is going to be released for general sale? Guessing Spring 2018?

8. NickS

NickS Carvinite

Looks great to me! I have a BTB675M (maple board version) and I love that one.

9. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

still like the old horns better like on my btb33 where the top horn lines up with the bottom, like on ixlramp avatar. And those horn cutaways doesnt help to the cause either.

great on ibanez trying SS frets and also finally do the full 24 frets on all the strings, my ocd is happy now lol, but though they would try with a different finish/wood by now. That combo has already like what 8 years in production by now? or something like that

10. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Dang, I just picked up a single course 8 string. I’m still intrigued by this, though, as I’ve been super happy with Ibby basses.
    Cool they did a 35” scale, too.
    If this was available in a single cut with that midnight burl finish money would be flying out of my wallet already.