7 string guitars with scale length longer than 27"

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by I play music, May 5, 2018.

1. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

Hello!
    So I want a seven string guitar for Drop F tuning.
    That's why I'm wondering if there are any production guitars available in Europe with a scale length longer than 27" (or multi scale with the low side longer than 27"). I know that in the US there are Agile guitars that have the scale length I want, but in Europe I haven't found anything yet.
    Any recommendations?

2. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

Nothing on 7 strings. But you can find longer scale on 8 strings or baritones guitars.

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Have you tried F at 27"?

I have a few 7s and 8s at that scale and it does just fine. I even keep one in E.

4. Vhyle

Vhyle Jackson Shill

27" for drop F should be plenty. There's really no reason to go beyond that.

5. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

It's all preference. Your tension needs pretty much dictate what tuning works on a scale. 27 F is a nope for me, because I need an 85 gauge for that and an 85 certainly doesn't sound very bright on 27". Can tolerate F# with an 80. Tolerance for brightness varies too, like I'm wanting to go super long for these pitches now so that it sounds like a "7th" string and not an "8th" string tonally.
    Certainly good to try and not assume you wont be happy though.

But indeed, alas I'm not aware of any aside from the 28.625 and 30 Agiles.

I play music likes this.
  6. I play music

Thanks for the input so far!
    Exactly. It kind of surprises me that there are a couple of 28" and 30" options for 6 and 8 strings, but apparently not for 7 strings.
    I have a 27" guitar that I tuned down to F to get an idea and yes it's doable but I feel like it's a bit of a compromise between avoiding floppy feeling strings (thinner string) and avoiding too "dark" of a sound (bigger string gauge). Longer scale would remove that compromise I guess.
    What gauge are you using for F and E at 27"?

The reason is that I like the sound of a thin string, but at the same time a tight feel. Longer scale length would help me here I guess.

Winspear likes this.
  7. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

^ totally agree with previous responses, but if you have to have longer scale, Agile has several 7-string models with 28 5/8" scale, or 30" for some of the fan fret models. If you're ok with Warmoth 7-string, they have ~28.5" scale. No personal experience with either one, but Agile is popular here on SSO.

8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I typically use a D'Addario NYXL .076 for F and an .080 for E.

I'm not super fussed with tension though, I use 9s in standard, for instance.

Longer scale can mess with perceived tension. So even though the static tension is higher, since metal is elastic, the string actually feels looser when playing since there's more length available to stretch.

The strings might feel kinda loose at first, but your technique will adapt fairly quickly if you keep at it. That's the biggest part.

I play music likes this.
  9. I play music

Yes thank you, sums up how I feel about it and why I'd prefer a longer scale! I'm using a 66 string for A already, so I guess for a similar feel in F I'd need 80(+) gauge.

But Agile and Warmoth are both not sold in Europe, are they?

10. I play music

Ok, thanks, might experiment a bit with different gauges.
    I'm also ok with 9s in standard, it's not like I need some super high tension.

Btw sorry, I wanted to post this in the 7 string section, but somehow it ended up in Beginners/FAQ ...

11. I play music

Anyways, my idea was to get me a new guitar just for Drop F tuning, meaning a new purchase for me no matter if I can or cannot make it work on the guitar I already have.
    So IF there was an option with a scale longer than 27" it would obviously makes sense for me to get that longer scale instead of buying me another 27" scale guitar. Unfortunately, it looks like there isn't such option.

12. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

I used a 74 back in the day on a 26.5" schecter and it sounded great, not muddy at all. Sure it didn't feel super tight tension wise but you will get used to it. The dudes in northlane tune to drop f with 27" guitars and use 80 on the low f. So maybe try that if the 74 gauge feels a bit floppy.

13. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

if you want multiscale, There are a few delares in Europe stocking the Ormsby Goliaths, 27.8" on the low side

14. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Ormsby was my thought as well for 7 strings.

I’d recommend trying an 8 string just to see, since they are much easier to find with the scale you want.

I played only 7 strings for maybe 10 years and am just getting into 8 strings. Muting all the strings is taking more attention, but otherwise it’s been a surprisingly seemless transition, and the 8 string can do everything the 7 can.

15. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

Both Warmoth & Rondo ship internationally (Rondo only ships to western EU), but with shipping, VAT + in case u'd like to return/exchange it, it's far from ideal. Sorry didn't see the exclusion of Agile in your OP.

16. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

To answer the earlier question, yes an 85 would be needed to match your preference of 66 in A. Which isn't unreasonably tight at all, similar to a 9.5 set :) Definitely reasonable to not want any less tension than that

I play music likes this.
  17. I play music

Oh those are interesting for sure even though the scale is not so much longer, thanks! Hope I can find one to try. The Ormsby dealers I have checked seem to not have them in stock currently (awaiting delivery or already sold...).

A-Branger likes this.
  18. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I play music likes this.
  19. I play music

Measuring in inches in general is a problem :agreed:
    But for some reason I have the impression that scale lengths on this forum are usually discussed in inches. Which is why y put 27" instead of 686mm...
    Oh wow 3mm more :banana:wonder how they came up with that scale length since neither in mm nor in inches it's a nice looking number.

bostjan likes this.
  20. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Two possibilities:

A) Since 1/8" is probably the smallest resolution of scale lengths, maybe someone measured the scale length and was on mark off on the ruler, and when it was converted from 27 1/8" into mm, it became 689 mm.
    B) Maybe the standard scale length for this line is 650 mm, an international standard for classical guitar scale length, and the best way to extend that to baritone scale was to add an extra lower fret and use the same jig for frets 2-24 (which is a standard practice). 12 frets per octave, so the scale is 2^(1/12) longer, 650 mm x 2^(1/12) happens to be 689 mm.

Either way, a sarcastic "Oh wow, what am I ever to do with an extra 3 mm!" is an appropriate response.

I play music likes this.