7-String Guitars and pickups.

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Gorod_Lamb, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Gorod_Lamb

Gorod_Lamb SS.org Regular

I'm currently looking for a 7 string guitar for around 800$. (can be more but definitely not over 1000$)

I've been leaning toward Agile guitars such as the interceptor pro with Duncan blackouts, but I'm also thinking about getting an Ibanez or another brand and replacing the pickups with BK Warpigs (as I find these my favorite pickups atm and I really dislike EMGs)

I want a 27 inch scale as I will be playing in standard B, drop A, and A tuning and I don't really think I need a Floyd Rose as I barely us it on my Schecter and it becomes ridiculously annoying when wanting to change tunings.

I like the feeling of your hand around an unpainted natural neck such as -http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAGRX70QA a cheap guitar like this still feels really nice around the neck. (would like a better quality wood of course, this is just an example)

Weight doesn't matter, I don't want it looking ugly but it doesn't have to be super fancy. The agile guitars look great, as well as stuff like this Ibanez RGIX27FEQM Iron Label Electric Guitar, 7-String, Transparent Gray (Transparent colors and the like look awesome but its doesn't need gold binding and crap)

Ebony fret boards I've found to be some of the best for leads and such but I don't pay attention to it a lot but if its cheap like the Ibanez I linked above it is annoying.

Now for pickups, I mainly play Death Metal, more specifically I like Tech Death (Spawn of Possession, Gorod, Soreption, Hour of Penance) I want punch and to have a lot of groove like Soreption, want to be able to play brutal heavy stuff like Cryptopsy, but also still be able to play tight and have piercing leads and such that don't get muddy if I were to play something more melodic and technical(Sorta like how Soreption tries to do but I never really payed attention to their tone). So I'm mainly wondering whether to buy a cheaper guitar and replace the pickups or go with stock? I like duncans, dimarzios more, and the BK warpigs the best.
    Thanks! sorry for the long post! :hbang:

2. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

Since you mentioned Blackouts, I'll offer my 2 cents in regards to those. I currently have the Mick Thompson Blackouts in my RG7. I'm not a huge fan of Slipknot, but both MT and SD have created something beautiful here. The pups are very responsive and incredibly versatile. They can handle basically any kind of metal, and the cleans are very clear and pretty. They have a lot of character and definition. I highly recommend them! A friend of mine has 81/85 EMG's in his main guitar, and he was so impressed by the blackouts that he was considering having his emg's swapped out for them.

If you REALLY like the warpigs, then I recommend getting a midrange guitar (RG7421) and then doing a pickup upgrade.

Btw, what kind of amp do you have? That's going to play a much larger role in the sound you're after than the pups will.

3. Gorod_Lamb

Gorod_Lamb SS.org Regular

Well I used to use different guitar programs I've downloaded but recently I've been using a Fender Champion 600 and running a Metal Muff pedal through it lol (despite its name it is actually a really nice reliable pedal and at the time it was a cheap alternative to buying a whole new amp or a ....ty solid-state)