7-String Build Tips (Multiple Body Shapes)

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by bradley5150, May 29, 2017.

1. bradley5150

bradley5150 SS.org Regular

So I have materials to build at least 3 guitars right now, all from scratch. I'm thinking two strandberg-esque builds and a daemoness (see profile pic). I have enough wood for at least one more top out of either black walnut or flamed maple, so additional shape suggestions are welcomed. I've built 3 guitars already, but I've never done a neck. I plan on the strandbergs and daemoness being thru-neck (flamed maple) with black walnut laminates. I would like to try an endurneck on the strandbergs, almost seems easier than the usual radius. I have a very detailed CAD drawing of a fanned fret 7 string Boden that I'll be using. I'm still looking for plans for the daemoness (or just a standard superstrat shape).

My questions are:
    1. Is the endurneck very hard to build compared to a normal neck profile? I assume fanned frets aren't bad as long as you get the measurements right.
    2. Anyone have a good 7-string superstrat plan?
    3. Any cheap alternatives to strandberg's tuners? I think I can machine the headstock pieces.
    4. Any experience using walnut as a neck wood?
    5. Any suggestions at all on the builds, electronics, hardware, stains, clears.

Thanks!

2. MikeNeal

MikeNeal SS.org Regular

walnut works good in a neck. easy to work with.

bradley5150 likes this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

Aye, walnut is very nice to work with. Smells good too. Tengda makes the cheapest headless tuners ( a set of 8 cost me 250 usd). That's the cheapest I've found.

bradley5150 likes this.
  4. bradley5150

bradley5150 SS.org Regular

Nice, I hadn't heard of Tengda

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

bradley5150 likes this.
  6. Grand Rabbit

Grand Rabbit SS.org Regular

After chewing out my first neck profile, I have to say that keeping an even curve all the way down the neck by feel and eye is a hugely time consuming and difficult task. The endurneck, on the other hand, offers the possibility of simply drawing out the flat plane which curves all the way up or down the neck, and then simply rasping away the wood from the edge of the fretboard to the edge of the line you drew.

Ola did patent the endurneck, apparently so that if anyone uses it in the future, they have to ask for his consent and can only patent modifications made thereby under the same creative use license which allows other people to use their design if they ask for it. Basically, he ensured that the endurneck and all of the different variations of it to come will be open source and available to all luthiers so long as they comply with making their innovations open source as well. Kind of a cool idea, but a bit preachy imo.

bradley5150 likes this.