7 string and 28" ?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by AC.Lin, Jul 5, 2018.

1. AC.Lin

AC.Lin Master of the 0-string guitar

Well hello there !

I've been wondering for a little moment if such a thing exists.
    It would have to be a 7 string guitar with a 28 inches scale length, and a fixed bridge.

Why ? To tune as low as E C F Bb Eb Ab C or at least have the flexibility to tune to whatever i want and be able to really experiment while keeping a tone that doesn't sound like farts and still able to use a thin set of strings for the clarity.
    After all, we got 6 string guitars being 28", and 8 string guitars being 28" too. Why not 7 ?

So my question is the following, has anyone ever seen such a guitar ?
    Or is there no other option than going for a custom build ?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Agile has made a bunch of extra long scale (28.625" and 30") 7s, and Ibanez has done a weird hybrid bass/guitar with 7 strings and a 30" scale.

So it's not like it hasn't been tried. There just doesn't seem to be much of a market for it.

3. NickLAudio

NickLAudio Audio/Video Engineer

There's two 7s on Rondo right now with 28" scale or 28.625" rather as Max stated, they both have Floyd trems though.

My Intrepid Pro is 27-30" multi-scale (there's 28" in there somewhere lol) with fixed individual saddles. Tuning is G-D-G-C-F-A-D, could go lower but my playing is technical-ish and prefer the tension. Love this guitar...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    slayer6699, ElRay and AC.Lin like this.
  4. AC.Lin

True, but i found that model to be not appealing at all, also 30" sounds really overkill.

What can i expect from Agile in terms quality though ? I've heard good and bad things so i don't really know what i should think about that brand.

5. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

6. NickLAudio

NickLAudio Audio/Video Engineer

I was thoroughly surprised at the quality when my Agile came because like you I heard and saw some people get lemons (you only ever hear about the bad ones, nobody posts about the good ones and the good ones far outweigh the bad ones). That was quite a while ago and I'm not 100% on this but I think they've changed factories since then.

Literally the only flaw on mine was the tiniest bit of excess glue by the headstock nut, scratched with my finger and pooof it was gone, cool. I was surprised how well the neck was made, no sharp frets, all polished evenly with none raised or too low. And the people at Rondo are excellent. They work with you to resolve any and all problems if one arises.

7. MaxOfMetal

For the price, a lot. I think they're roughly on par with most Schecters and LTDs.

Djentlover666 and Jacksonluvr636 like this.
  8. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

I’ve had two Agiles and both were nicely built, and I’m picky.

Djentlover666 likes this.
  9. AC.Lin

Guess i'll have to look a bit more closer into Agile !

If more persons want to share their experiences with Agile, feel free to do so.

10. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

What level of quality are you looking for? I have played quite a few Agiles, and most are on par with what you'd get at a store for 20% more cost. But you aren't going to get an Agile on par with a USA Jackson or anything like that.

11. AC.Lin

To give you a rough idea, i'm about to get Schecter C7 SLS Elite (26.5") if i can't get my hands on a 7 string with a 28" neck.
    This is my point of reference, and i would like to get something on par with it.
    Futhermore, since i own a ESP MIJ, i don't want to get a quality which is too low in comparison, that is why the Schecter seems like a fair deal.

12. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

I’ve got a Pendulum 92528 and the only issues I found with it can be traced back to the original owner.

It’s a better guitar than the Schecter Revenger-7 I have.

13. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

I have an Agile AB-3500 Baritone that's a 28.625" scale. It's a 6 string guitar. The OP wanted folks to chime in - I actually bought mine second hand from the original owner. for $300 He did not have it set up well, but that was a quick fix. Honestly, I have no complaints about it. No flaws, fret work is actually above average, and it is very fun to play. It is definitely not a shredder at this scale length. Bends do not feel easy. That said, it has a really great deep tone to it that is a lot more satisfying than a standard scale guitar tuned low. I have 12's on mine and there are no issues with tension - it's satisfyingly taut in a way my 25.5" scale 7 string is not. Rather than extoll the scale, I will say the overall quality on the guitar is good. It's more in line with a nice Korean made LTD. Even the OEM active pickups are OK. It's HSH, and the middle single coil is not a great volume balance, but the bridge and neck humbuckers are quite good. Very clear kind of EMG-ish - although they sound a little more neutral and feel perhaps slightly less compressed.

I have not tuned it as low as an E. It is definitely fine down to B. One thing to bear in mind, it gets harder to find strings that will work for such a long scale length. You have to buy baritone strings for them to be long enough.

14. MaxOfMetal

What strings do you buy? Regular D'Addario are wound over meter or more.

15. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Ran if you custom order and jackson fan fret.

16. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

A Jackson B7 is 27" if you could make that work, and those can be had for very fair prices (since they don't seem to be too popular). They are available in both bolt-on and neck-thru. I'd own one myself if they didn't have such a long scale length, which I just don't have a use for personally.

17. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

That might be it now that I think about it. I am using D'Addario light baritones for it, but I am not actually sure those are longer - I guess I just assumed they were because they fit and were basically 12 gauge. I have had an issue with a different set I had that was not as long, not remembering brand. In this case, I may have been wrong earlier when I suggested it was harder to find strings. If regular D'addario's are long enough - well those are pretty much everywhere.

18. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I have two 28.625" scale Agile guitars and love both of them. On par with my more expensive Schecter guitars

19. Taikatatti

Taikatatti SS.org Regular

I know Balaguer has a 28.5’ option for 7-strings.

20. AC.Lin

The pic of your C7 SLS Elite in your signature is still killing me and making me envious, haha.
    You're making it harder for me.

But i hear you all. I guess i'll need some time to think about it or wait for me to buy something all of a sudden, on a whim.

LeviathanKiller likes this.