7 and ERG Chord Melody [Jazz]

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by Trespass, Jan 29, 2008.

1. JazzandMetal

JazzandMetal SS.org Regular

Mike Reizenstien just put a DVD out and I just received it. It is excellent. He does great basslines with his nine strings.

On the DVD, he notes that his guitar is tuned all fourths, from the top string down, F, C, D, A, E, B, F#, Db.

2. JoeyW

JoeyW SS.org Regular

I know he's already been posted but Jason Crawford is just so great! I love this take on "Now's the Time":

3. Trespass

Trespass AEADGBEA

I've had the good fortune of meeting Jason Crawford here in Toronto a few times. Great player live as well.

4. Daken1134

Daken1134 SS.org Regular

;) self plug even though ive posted it everywhere previously

5. Trespass

Trespass AEADGBEA

You know, I spend a lot of my time rallying against the jazz police in real life.

But come on man, that's just not jazz.

You played some chords with extensions, not swung, with zero improvisation or communication.

6. Daken1134

Daken1134 SS.org Regular

Im very aware it isnt jazz what so ever, trust me, i only posted it because part of the title was "ERG Chord Melody"

7. JoeyW

JoeyW SS.org Regular

Wow, lucky! That must've been awesome. His feel is pretty unreal.
    Completly unrelated though, did you attend any post-secondary for your musical education? If so, how are the schools over in Toronto? I'm asking because I'm a 2nd (almost 3rd) year music student and I have the option of finishing my degree elsewhere.

8. Trespass

Trespass AEADGBEA

York is highly liberal and about finding your own voice. Great instructors there include Lorne Lofsky on guitar and Adrean Farrugia on keys. Lorne played with Oscar Peterson for 5 or 6 years, and is one of the top guitarists in Canada easily. However, there are also a lot of cats there who can't handle the independence, and there are a lot of coasters.

U of T is a great academic/performance split with high expectations, small program with probably the top kids in town. Would recommend.

Humber is very performance slanted, but in a really awful way. There program is built around stuffing you with a lot of common jazz phrases (everybody learns the same licks each week, for example) and mostly come out all sounding the same, with zero individual voice. Would recommend ONLY if you have zero jazz experience and plan to pursue a masters/or push for serious creative development afterward.

Cheers. Toronto is a great city.

9. JoeyW

JoeyW SS.org Regular

Thanks! So Humber seems to be the place to try and stay away from. York sounds like it'd be a very cool experience, and Lorne Lofsky would be crazy cool to study under. I'm going to look into that program right now. Addimitadly, I find my biggest problem at the moment is that while improvising I gravitate towards chord tones too often, I'd really like to get more spontineity in my playing.

10. octatoan

octatoan Acoustic tech-death!

Could Trespass kindly make links in the OP for those on phones?

11. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

The OP was from 7 years ago...

12. i_love_tazzus

i_love_tazzus Out For Lunch

Just look them up on Youtube. You already made the effort to come here. :)

13. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

I find most known "7 string jazz" guys use Drop A (A-E-A-D-G-B-E) so they can utilize typical A string barre chords with the low string replacing the root, which seems to be what the majority of these videos are (least chord melody ones) - has any famous players (or tons of videos on youtube) use just standard tuning with a low B string for standards? I know its only shifting the finger over 2 frets, but I'm just curious to see a video of standard tuning used to its maximum potential. Everything I write/play in all genres are generally standard tuning, so while Drop A would be great for jazz, it'd mess up most of my other stuff. (floyd guitars.. so good but the drawbacks)

I know its not too different but from a mental mindset, it'll take some getting used to rather than just copying the A string notes.. Of course, it'll be the same as the high B string but chords seem a bit more awkward.

14. i_love_tazzus

i_love_tazzus Out For Lunch

Swami Jr., Brazilian jazz guitarist. Heard him a few years ago on Brazilian vocalist Luciana Souza's 'Duos II' CD. His 7 string guitar is tuned to B standard.

http://youtu.be/Gc15_Qu6ouQ