6ers with high strength necks for tuning to standard with heavy gauges?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by silverabyss, Dec 28, 2017.

1. silverabyss

silverabyss

Title says it all. I know higher ply count laminates are pretty strong but which are like bitchin strong?

2. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Schecter Banshee Elite has 9 piece neck through. Cant imagine youd need anything tougher

3. GenghisCoyne

GenghisCoyne im here to party

close the thread.

sezna, Manurack and McBrain like this.
  4. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

How heavy are ya talking? Jazz guys have been known to use 12s and 13s in standard and I don't think their guitars have trouble handling it. Both myself and the other guitarist in my band have been using 12s for standard for years without problems.

Manurack likes this.
  5. NickS

NickS Carvinite

I have a set of 12-56 on my Carvin CS4M (in standard tuning) with a one piece mahogany neck, and it is fine. I agree with @bhakan that you should fine with whatever you want, unless you want to go REALLY heavy.

Manurack and Dineley like this.
  6. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

although I did make a suggestion I also agree, I have 12-56 on my Les Paul and am usually in standard, and thats one piece mahogany, you likely aren't as metal as you think you are.

7. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

so you dont like bends no? hehehe

any neck would be able to handle it imo. it would only require an adjustment to the truss rod in small increments. Thats why they have it there for

8. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

your strings will give out before the neck does.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  9. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Don't worry. My steelstring has a single piece mahogany neck with thin D shape and I use 13-56 sets since almost 10 years. No problems whatsoever...

10. thraxil

thraxil cylon

Totally. My dad has a Gibson acoustic that he's been playing daily since the late 50's/early 60's. One piece neck, strung up with the heaviest strings he can find. His fingers gave out due to arthritis and forced him to switch to lighter gauge strings a couple years ago but the guitar never had a problem.

11. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Vigier is where this discussion begins and ends.

12. skmanga

skmanga SS.org Regular

ive got a set of skinny top heavy bottom Ernie balls in standard on my year 2000 ibanez rg7-421 (10-13-17-30-42-52-62).
    I sometimes worry with this guitar, its got a very thin neck.

13. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

You could drop every string down and add a heavier E for a 13-72 set, and the strings will break from tension before the neck does.

A one piece maple neck with a single-action truss rod is no stronger or weaker on a jazz box with 13s, an acoustic with 12s, or a Gibson-scale electric with 11s. The only reason you see modern necks with 9-piece laminates and double-action trusses flanked by carbon-graphite rods or tubes is because redundant reinforcement can be sold as an innovation where none is needed. It’s true that Ibanez uses KTS rods in their necks to minimize warranty claims, but they’re also there to tell you about.

Personally, I prefer redundant reinforcement: Where I live has huge temperature swings; and I appreciate never having to adjust the neck on my Vigier. And the Parkers, Steinbergers, and Strandberg are all in competition to see which gimmick requires the fewest truss adjustments throughout the year.

14. Discoqueen

Discoqueen Dang tootin

I am really curious what OP needs a bit bitchin strong neck for. I haven't heard this question before so I want to know what's the logic the Q stems from.

Is there worry particular stings are too heavy? Or the weather will mess up the neck?

15. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

I have a Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster strung with 13s in Standard. It's a single piece neck, no laminates. It even has a little bit of flame to it, so if any neck I own is going to be unstable it's this one.

It's perfectly fine and it's been strung to pitch for 3/4 years now just like that, sometimes in E standard, sometimes in E flat. It's never had anything less on it since it was brand new. The tremolo is also decked with 5 springs so if any guitar knows a thing or two about tension, it's that one.

As long as you're not putting 13s in Standard on something like an original, singlepiece, wizard neck, then you have nothing to worry about. Probably not even then as long as your truss rod is working properly.

16. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

It would be a problem if the truss rod were not able to counteract the tension enough, because then you could never achieve low action.
    However I've never seen that be a problem.
    As has been said, acoustic players have been using up to 13s in E forever.

DudeManBrother likes this.
  17. Discoqueen

Discoqueen Dang tootin

^ Yeah, and on acoustics, 13's are considered a medium gauge, generally without laminated necks, so I'd imagine the guitar would have to be messed up or maintained improperly for the strings to cause damage.

18. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

Yup, neck damage is way overplayed (like when you buy fat strings in a guitar shop and they warn you you'll break your neck, regardless of tuning haha).
    Even if the truss cant get the action low enough which is unlikely, nothing should get damaged.
    4 string basses with long, skinny necks run strings with twice as much tension in them!

Discoqueen likes this.
  19. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

To be fair, we've all seen the cracks behind the nuts of old, Volute-less Ibanez Wizard necks. It's not as if "not breaking" means "flawless and not warped".

It's just that generally there has to be some sort of mistreatment or a design flaw, for it to be a practical issue. In ibanez case it was the lack of a volute. They solved it by laminating the necks at first and adding volutes later.

Still, we're well past the point now where this is a practical issue on any guitar, really.

20. silverabyss

silverabyss

Basically I was watching a Phil McKnight vid where he says the higher gauge and tension you have the less the "jump rope effect" acts on on the fretboard when any given strings oscillate = you can have lower action without buzz in exchange for less easy bending/vibrato, etc

I wanted to take this to logical extremes by using like 14s

I was also wondering for ultra stiff trussless necks like Vigier are they made with the tiny bit of relief that you would need to take into account the jump rope effect anyways?