6505 mini and Mark V25 Which one sounds better for direct recording?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by neurosis, Aug 26, 2015.

1. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

So I was looking at these lately and I have noticed unlike with the Laney commercials and reviews the demos don't really go much into detail with the Recording Direct feature not hese amps.

I love the 6505 in particular. I had one at one point before moving to a Fireball and it's just one of the iconic metal tones for me. With the Mesa I had less of a reference but since it came out it has been climbing up my top of mind ladder.

So, why is it that none really talks about that and for those who have it do you want to post recordings you have made direct with cab impulses in the DAW? Mayeb comment a bit on how the tone differs from recording with a real mic and so on?

At the moment I am using a Laney Ironheart Studio and there are things I love and some I am not quiet happy with. One of them being a slightly muffled effect, decrease of fullness I want to say, when recording. It's almost like the signal sounds weaker (obviously with less air) but a tad weaker than playing through a normal cab.

2. Metaldestroyerdennis

Metaldestroyerdennis Heavens Football Bat

Cab sims use terrible sounding eq to emulate a cabinet. It's fine to get ideas down, but expect it to sound pretty bad in comparison to the real thing. So whatever you go with, I wouldn't expect any improvement in direct recording. Pick an amp you like for the sound it makes through the cabinet and if you want that sound recorded, buy a mic.

3. FifthCircleSquared

FifthCircleSquared Threadender

I use a Mark V:25 into a Rivera Rockcrusher, using Two Notes WoSIII for cabinet IR's. Sounds good to me.

Here's my last project: https://soundcloud.com/fifthcirclesquared/nu-wop

Here's a demo of the Laney Ironheart recording 15 with a similar setup:
    https://soundcloud.com/fifthcirclesquared/quick-improv-laney-ironheart-studio

I'd love to try the 6505MH out using the Rockcrusher to WoS setup, but I'm pretty happy with Mark V:25.

Edit: Kind of echoing the above poster, the built in Cab Clone on the Mini Mark is ok for sketching out a recording, but I wouldn't call it outstanding.
    Hope that helps!

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

In your opinion, how does that compare to using the built in CabClone? That's what I've been using and haven't felt the need to add another attenuator to the mix.

I've already posted these in another discussion but I'll add them here as well for anyone who hasn't seen them:

V:25 IV mode -> CabClone -> Interface:
    https://soundcloud.com/somethingunnamed/tornadoofsouls3

V:25 Clean, same setup:
    https://soundcloud.com/somethingunnamed/windowpane3

Unfortunately, I have no person experience with any other direct recording amps so I have nothing else to contribute.

5. FifthCircleSquared

FifthCircleSquared Threadender

You can definitely get a decent sound out of the Cab Clone; It just wasn't the sound I personally was looking for. I dug the open back setting for leads.

I wouldn't feel the need for an additional attenuator if the built in Cab Clone had the ability to bypass it's built in cab sim. The Mark V:25 sounds pretty good turned down.

Because the Rockcrusher is pretty good at attenuating without adding/subtracting to the sound, I like to run my Master's between 9 and 11 o'clock (which is definitely loud without an attenuator lol).

All in all, I definitely prefer the sound of the direct out from the Rockcrusher to Wall of Sound, if for the flexibility in cab choices if nothing else. If you get a chance, try the scumback cab out :)

In the above example, I mostly just used WoS's Mesa v30 2x12.

P.S. Nice playing, and you definitely got some good tones from it!

6. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

This is sort of what I was hoping not to hear from you guys... hahaha. But also what I expected.

Your recording sounds awesome. So you are going from the Mesa Cab Out to the Crusher and from there to your DAW?

Maybe it makes sense to get a device like that after all. I have also been thinking of getting a trade on a Rectifier and maybe this would be the solution to transferring good crush more accurately.

What about an ISOcab? There is no way I could mic an amplifier in my apartment right now but I have been thinking about getting the cheaper Randall 1x12 and doing the mods to improve it.

7. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

I have gotten tones I like for some applications actually but for a certain flow it hasn't worked out well. So even IRs in the DAW are a NO in your opinion? Or are you just referring to the Recording out using the built in cab simulation on the amp. I never use that, I load any IRs in Logic. Otherwise it's just too fizzy.

8. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

When you showed me these the other day I felt they sounded great actually, which is why I am intrigued by the new generation of mini's: Both amps I am asking about in this thread.

I think the Mesa is probably a better quality and has a lot of features but the 6505 seems to be a nice little amp in its own right.

9. 155

155 SS.org Regular

I had both and think the mesa is better for it..the peavey sounds a little too fake...

10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I think it's worth adding that the V:25 cabclone does sound thinner to my ears than with a real cab, but I've gotten the hang of working around it- and I'm a bassist, so I tend to prefer the thin guitar sound when just messing around so that there's a space for the bass to fill. If I was going to record something more serious, or anything I'd charge money for, I'd much prefer to use a fullsize head instead of a lunchbox, and use a real mic instead of an attenuator or cab sim. It would be better to have a full sound and thin it out through processing if you want to, then to start with a thin sound and have to try to beef it up to sound like a bigger amp. :2c:

11. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

I have been looking at the Rivera Rock Crusher. I think it´s a good thing to have around if it really does what it looks like that it does. Most demos I have seen were done with Marshalls though so I don´t know if that means anything.

You are right that mic and cab are the straightforward way to go for sure. But for my needs I have to think of something that will work at home with possibly normal to no volume. So a good load box and attenuator seem to be a good way to go. That or I´ll just sell a guitar and return to the AXE FX. Right?

12. Metaldestroyerdennis

Metaldestroyerdennis Heavens Football Bat

I used to love IRs in a DAW, loading them in logic. But I hated that when I was recording, the IRs weren't on. Then when I got my SM7B I threw it in front of my cab and re-recorded the guitars of a song and I couldn't believe how much better it sounded. It depends on the IR though, and I've heard some pretty fantastic sounding ones. I just wasn't willing to put in the time to find one that works as well as a mic'd up cab when I could just mic up a cab.

13. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby SS.org Regular

I have the Rockcrusher Recording (with the EQ built in). I bought it so I don't have to mess with IRs in my DAW. There's a bunch of different speaker emulations laid out on the Rivera site to use with it, too.

14. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

Nice! Im really interested in your setup. What amp are you running into it? Would you say it preserves the tone well? And do you have a recorded sample?

15. NeubyWanKaneuby

I run a PRS Archon, Orange TH30 and a Panama Inferno through it. I believe I'm using the setting for Celestion V30s right now. I'd say it does a pretty good job of preserving the tone.

You can check out the vids on my youtube, or if you go to my NAD for the Inferno, there are some clips in there, too. The second set of clips in there are through the Rockcrusher. The first set are mic'd.

16. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

Will do! Having an amp already and enough VST and stuff I think this could be a good option for me. Thanks for the help!

17. NeubyWanKaneuby

Oh, those clips were done on the Celestion G12T-75 setting. Not the V30.