6505 Lead Channel Settings?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by MetalThrasher, Jan 12, 2018 at 7:23 PM.

1. MetalThrasher

MetalThrasher Thrash & Burn

I've only had my 6505 regular for 3 weeks and I've been living in the crunch channel so far and loving it! I'm running this through a 2x12 cab that currently has 2 Red Coat CV75's… however I just got a Swamp Thang to replace one of the speakers which I plan on doing tomorrow! Any how… I need some suggestions for settings on the lead channel. I'm looking for a good old school thrash metal type tone. I am already running an OD and NS2 in front. I plan on running a GE7 in the loop but I need to buy some cables for that soon!

KailM likes this.
  2. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Somewhere between 666 and 777 we’re my favorite settings on the 6505. Resonance and Presence to taste. Kicked ass for everything

Leviathus likes this.
  3. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Pretty much this. I edge closer to 777 these days.

Once you get that EQ pedal in the loop, try cutting 400hz by 3-5 Db ; put a slight boost on both 100hz and 1.6khz and you'll be picking your face up off the floor.:mf666:

Beheroth likes this.
  4. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

666 is always a good starting point for these amps :yesway: in fact, that's where I have my Block Letter set right now :D

5. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

A few other things I forgot to mention:

On the lead channel, especially if you're boosting it, less is more with your pre gain settings. Using the high gain input, you might find that "3" or even "2.5" is enough gain to be fully saturated yet stays tight, punchy and thick. If you're boosting it and dial in too much gain it'll start to take away from your sound because notes will start to mash together.

Experiment with the low gain input as well. I find that I can get a slightly different range of tones with that input and it also changes the feel. You can up your gain to around 4 with that input. I find that it has a little more sag in response but if I dig in with the pick a little harder I am rewarded with an even more 3D, huge-sounding chug. It's a little more Recto-like with the low gain input, in other words.

Finally, these amps LOVE a 5751 tube in V1 and the phase inverter position. They kind of cut the fizz and allow more "meat" to come through while improving clarity. I use JJ 5751s --- they're cheap and excellent.

DudeManBrother likes this.
  6. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

Low gain input, pre around 4, 6.5-5-6.5, resonance comes up as the volume does, presence up until the amp comes to life, but don’t go overboard.

If you get the ge-7, then I’d probably bring the amp EQ back to 555 just to get a feel for the 7 bands on the pedal and what they do, by setting them all in the center; max out one at a time and listen. If it gets harsh, whistley, otherwise unpleasant, then drop that band below 0. Slightly nasty or woofy can be a slight dip, real nasty can get cut -6 or more. If the band sounds good then you can bump it. The best approach is to keep the sum of the frequencies close to 0. If you have 2 bands that ended up getting cut a total of 10dB, then you can boost the other bands around 10dB total. Then once you dial that in, go back slowly towards your favorite amp setting as it might change a little.