6505+ changed tubes finally and...

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by PunkBillCarson, Aug 28, 2017.

1. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

...I promise this'll be the last thread I make about this, especially from what I just heard coming through my amp. As many of you know, I've been making threads about tube changing and my biggest question was how much will a tube change affect my tone?

My answer? A fuckton. My rhythm channel is as grinding and meaty as before while my lead channel seems to have been reinvigorated and is now absolutely PERFECT. I've always preferred rhythm channel but after this tube change, I'm starting to find it VERY difficult to choose. The lead channel doesn't sound weak or thin. It's like a log splitter without the shrill fuzz.

I'd like to thank KailM for the JJ recommendation. This 6505+ that I have now, if it was brutal before, it's world destroying now. I'm struggling right now typing this because I can't wait to go back to my room and crank the hell out of this beast!

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  2. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

:cheers:
    I re-tube my amp pretty much every year for this reason (well, the power tubes actually really do need it, for the most part). The sound of new power tubes and at least a new tube in V1 and the PI can really breathe new life into the amp and make it sound like it should. If you think it's brutal now, wait until you try a JJ 5751 in V1. It cuts the fizz even more and just sounds, well, more brutal-- despite having less gain, oddly enough. I still prefer the red channel for extreme metal, especially with that tube in V1.

DudeManBrother likes this.
  3. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

I second the 5751 for the first pre. I think, by having less gain in the first stage, it allows the rest of the gain stages a chance to cascade in a subjectivity better way.

4. PunkBillCarson

Oh don't worry guys. My next payday, I'm getting one of those. This amp had JJ's in the preamp section, rubies in the power section, but I guess they were all old because this thing got all new tubes and there's a hatred inside it that hasn't been unleashed since I've owned it. That changed today. Tried it with my LTD Bill Kelliher 600 with the Lace Dissonant Aggressors in D standard and it's like they were made for each other. Now I've got to put my Goldtop with Black Winters through it. :D

DudeManBrother likes this.
  5. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

KaliM definitely knows what's up when it comes to these amps :yesway:

I've gotten great results from my 5153 50w and 5150 Block Letter with a couple of tube swaps, particularly with a 5751 or EHX in V1 and a balanced Sovtek LPS in the phase inverter. For a lower gain tube, the 5751 really lends itself well to cutting and aggressive heavy tones since it's not quite as fat and offers a little extra mids compared to a regular 12AX7. I can't say for certain if the balanced LPS does much or anything for the actual tone, but at least I know those tubes are pretty much indestructible :D I've got one in every amp I own and have never had any problems with noise or functionality.

I've also found the 5150 family of amps sound their best with Sovtek WXT+ or Mesa (rebranded WXT non-plus) 6l6's in the power section. They've got a bit more headroom and a wider range of frequency response compared to the stock JJ's, which cut some high end and are more prone to get woofy in the sub lows on chugs at volume. It's been a long, long time since I've used Ruby 6l6's, so I can't really compare there.

6. PunkBillCarson

^Cutting the high end is exactly what I was trying to do. My lead channel sounded thin as hell with all the high end it had, no matter what I did. When I put all JJ's in, it made me fall in love with my lead channel and my rhythm channel is more monstrous than before. Both are thicky and meaty and give me all the grind I could ask for.