6 string pickup shootout. No bull, no frills.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by KnightBrolaire, Dec 14, 2017.

1. capac

capac SS.org Regular

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    KnightBrolaire likes this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

did you watch the video? it makes the cocked/vocal quality really apparent, especially when compared to the other pickups I've tested.

3. capac

capac SS.org Regular

I do find it kinda annoying... not sure how long I'd be able to use juggs or ragnaroks.

4. KnightBrolaire

in the ragnaroks it's a lot more mild of an effect than the juggs. they're a lot more cocked in comparison. Personally I didn't like either set because of the wah midrange and how hard I have to pick to get the kind of sounds I want (I'm a pretty light picker most of the time).

5. capac

capac SS.org Regular

Rags sounded pretty "cocky" in you vid.

I've heard good tones out of juggs, but they would annoy me in my own guitar.

6. KnightBrolaire

Alnico Nailbomb vid is up.

7. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Anyway you could make Railhammer Chisels your next set after the Holy Divers? :)
    Dying to get a review

8. KnightBrolaire

I'm going to cycle through all the other pickups I have already have on hand before I get the railhammers. It might be a while.
    tentative list is :
    holy diver bridge
    lundgren m6 bridge
    duncan custom 5 bridge
    entwistle nemesis bridge
    entwistle hdn bridge
    elysian hellfire set
    guitarmory patriot set
    guitarmory atlas set

9. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Please add some Gibson 496R/500T and be pleasantly surprised.

I love my BKP Impulses in my Regius 7 when drop tuned, but I really did not like it all when tuned up to standard. Conversely, I thought the BKP Juggs were actually great in standard tuning on my Regius 6, which I did NOT expect!

10. KnightBrolaire

initial thoughts on holy diver bridge: has a nice big thick and tight low end with really good percussive chugs/trem picking. seems clearer than the nailbomb. Has a nice muscular midrange kind of like the black dog but with less snarl. good amount of high end in this pickup so this pickup can scream if need be. The high end might be a bit much in brighter setups/guitars. pick harmonics are super easy with it, they just pop off the fretboard with ease. cleans are quite solid but nothing special imo. Seems to play well with a number of differently voiced amps (jvm410, triple recto, 5150, archon, mark v, alchemy, xtc). I really like how big and chunky the chugs and chords feel with it, reminds me of the black winter or impulses in that aspect. Works well for a number of genres, but especially ones that utilize a massive sounding rhythm section (ie gojira or mastodon). Just like the nailbomb it wouldn't be my first choice for jazz due to the brighter high end, but otherwise it held up really well with all of my different riffs.

AkiraSpectrum, capac and USMarine75 like this.
  11. capac

capac SS.org Regular

I run it in mahogany and yes, it could be much in an even brighter guitar. My fav pickup at the moment.

12. KnightBrolaire

I think the high end of the holy diver would be a nightmare in a brighter guitar like my dc600. I used to have painkillers in the dc600 and they were wayyy too bright and icepicky sounding in that guitar so I'd expect the holy diver to be obnoxiously bright in it as well. I am digging the holy diver in this guitar, that big tight low end is awesome, especially with the kind of growly midrange

13. capac

capac SS.org Regular

PK is kinda like HD with a ceramic magnet anyways.

14. KnightBrolaire

holy diver video is up. lundgren m6 is next.

BigViolin and capac like this.
  15. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

I'm curious about those entwistle 7 string pickups.

16. KnightBrolaire

initial thoughts on the lundgren m6: I have experience with the m8 and the main thing these 2 pickups share is the relatively chunky/tight low end and a good amount of high end. they both have growling midranges but the m8 has significantly more chunk/growl to it. The m6 can get very single coil spanky/tight at times, though that depends on the amp. It's an awesome rhythm pickup and a subpar pickup for leads imo. the stiffness makes it feel like sweeps and fast runs are fighting you every note. It's excellent for trem picking and chugging/chords and has a ton of clarity (unlike the m8 which is a bit too dark on the low end and muddies up when playing extended chords). It works well for modern metal (duh), 80s metal,hard rock and anything that requires a tight low end and powerful chugs. The m6 cleans up well but don't expect sparkly cleans from it.
    Probably the closest 6 string pickup I can compare it to would be the d-sonic. both are perfect for br00tz and chugz but kind of suck for other stuff.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  17. KnightBrolaire

M6 video is up.

IGC likes this.
  18. KnightBrolaire

thinking about doing some magnet swaps with the bkps I have sitting around after I test the rest of the pickups I have.
    Alnico 8 black dog should be fun :D

19. BigViolin

BigViolin Rosewood Boarded Contributor

Curious what you would choose as a do everything set in a standard/drop d tuned 6?

Also what set or combo for drop C or lower. I've read most of your posts but was wondering what you might choose if you could have just one combo for say an average to bright guitar.

Damn, you've tested a lot of pickups. Thanks for sharing this!

20. KnightBrolaire

My current favorites are impulse, black dog, holy diver and the m6. Holy diver would work well in a brighter guitar and is the most versatile imo, plus it would sound good in standard. Might be a tad bright on the high end but that's easy to mitigate with a different capacitor value on your tone pot/amp settings.